RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Is it possible to fit aqua channel? You really need to get the water away
The channel is 5 cobbles away and they do run towards it. That’s why I’m thinking to rise up the low bit behind the cobbles and under the door rather than fit one of the seals like you did.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
Advice needed please…..

Got the driveway redone and the intention was to finish it lower than the garage floor. Getting drainage falls however has left it about 10mm above the garage floor. I can deal with that but my main priority now is stop water coming in. Photos maybe explain it better but I was thinking to extend the cobble grout back into the garage under the door but I’m wondering how to finish that inside the garage such that driving over it doesn’t break the edge. Would a bit of 10x10 angle be ok or should I track the garage floor and sink bigger angle into the cut? Or is there anything simpler I can do?
View attachment 338382View attachment 338383
Best thing to do would be to rework the floor around the door .

With outside being higher will be near impossible to stop water getting in.

Self level compound will be the easiest option to bring you back up level with your cobbles but you may still have the issue of water getting in.

You may have to get some sort of rubber trim to put on the floor for the door to close against, not sure where you can get them but maybe try some of the garage door companies ?

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Best thing to do would be to rework the floor around the door .

With outside being higher will be near impossible to stop water getting in.

Self level compound will be the easiest option to bring you back up level with your cobbles but you may still have the issue of water getting in.

You may have to get some sort of rubber trim to put on the floor for the door to close against, not sure where you can get them but maybe try some of the garage door companies ?
This is my thinking… first step def is to raise the floor. I was going to use the same grout as used for the cobbles as it will extend outside and I want it to match. It seems to go pretty hard so reckon it will be ok. I’m wondering how to finish it inside the garage though. Maybe just use a straight edge and then use self levelling internally to grade it back. Also conscious of not getting into a fortune of time and money. Stopping the water is priority
Rubber seal for garage door I fitted one of these. Should be able to source locally as well.
Yep might need one of those but want the level up first otherwise water will be trapped between the seal and the cobbles

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Who did you speak to?

I know the guy installs them very well from growing up in Derry, so unless that was a special price for me.

@weeloaney thats a cracking bit of kit the way you could lift front corner of the tractor and double it up as a work bench. Definitely sold on one now!
For personal use and unless you are doing major work like having to drop a subframe or work at brake line in the floor etc which can be made doable but just more awkward then the scissor lift is the way to go.

Quicker, easier and safer to get the car up on, the sides are completely clear so doors open full and greet for polishing etc. then the fact it can be used for different things like the tractor wheel which we weee doing to adjust the steering lock limits as fitted wider tyres and needed to make sure they cleared everything. And then as a adjustable bench for work like making that door. Then the flush ones are great as when not in use you just have an empty floor space.

ilovequo

RMS Regular
The channel is 5 cobbles away and they do run towards it. That’s why I’m thinking to rise up the low bit behind the cobbles and under the door rather than fit one of the seals like you did.
If you’ve a fall from away from the door into a channel you’ll hardly have much of a problem?
A raised profile sat in front of the door would do grand as a just in case?
I’d try all options before going to bother of fitting a new door or raising existing floor…

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
If you’ve a fall from away from the door into a channel you’ll hardly have much of a problem?
I’d try all options before going to bother of fitting a new door or raising existing floor…
The fall is on the cobbles. The door closes just behind the cobbles which is 10mm lower. Hence the need to raise up where the door lands.

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
Screenshot_20211011-095713_Gumtree.jpg

Just found this ad, might suit someone for flooring or shelving.

Statler

RMS Regular
Drives
Slowly ;-)
Depends on the wind, if it's blowing hard directly at the door then the rain running off the door surface will simply get blown in under the door.
A bit of aluminium angle fixed to the lower edge of the door may get the water far enough away from the joint to allow it to run down the drive but the corners will always leak past.

I have a similar problem in strong wind/rain which I have yet to solve, but lifting the threshold is likely to be the best solution.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
@Q.S Gav where you able to hire the equipment to do this yourself? Or did you have a painter do it?

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
Perfect lights for the space, I would love a carport exactly like that.

mightymetro

RMS Regular
Drives
F31 320D, 91 MX5
What are people using for flooring? Have a garage finishing out with a new build in a development (smaller than my existing man cave, fairly gutted). I didn't do anything to my current garage other than a couple of coats of PVA to try and damp down the dust which tbh was never that effective.

Am hoping that the builder is going to let me into the garage a week or so before contract completion so I can get walls painted and something down, because once its filled with boxes during the move it'll never be empty again and thats my opportunity gone.

For relatively light use, better going down the garage floor paint route or some of the rubber mat systems? Has anyone used gym matting or similar?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I have cow mats in my garage (old gym matting) - my garage is not even worthy of a post in here but its extremely durable and easily kept clean.

You can buy 25mm thick gym matting 1x1m with flat surface which would probably do your job if you wanted to floor it

mightymetro

RMS Regular
Drives
F31 320D, 91 MX5
I have cow mats in my garage (old gym matting) - my garage is not even worthy of a post in here but its extremely durable and easily kept clean.

You can buy 25mm thick gym matting 1x1m with flat surface which would probably do your job if you wanted to floor it
Aye I'm looking at a guy selling 6'x4' sheets of rubber matting, looks a quick way of getting something hard wearing and wipe-down / oily wipe up onto the floor for fairly humble money and done quickly.