RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Well after a bit of sorting and tidying up yesterday, I think I am all but done...... For now!

The only thing I need to take down from the store up at work is my diving gear. When it comes down and is tidied up that is me definitely done then!

All told I am very very happy with my wee garage. I have the whole thing built, wired, floored and have the shelves and bench put up for less than the cost of a block and brick one by itself.

if I were doing it over again I would put some self levelling down before the flexi tile. When the concrete base was poured the guys made it perfectly level, and it is...... But there are a couple of wee dips in the floor which aren't completely flush and it does annoy me a bit!

Would be very happy to recommend Marty @ H2 engineering in Coalisland to anyone.

Outside looking in
image.jpeg

VonHaus shelving from Amazon
image.jpeg

Sealey toolchest from @Woodcutter and VonHaus workbench
image.jpeg

VonHaus workbench (tiled with a few off cuts of the flexi tile I have down on the floor, and my refurbished Record #2 vice (£20) from eBay
image.jpeg

Strimmer and garden vac/blower hung up out of the way
image.jpeg

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
I am sure this has been covered, but I can't find it.

Will be painting my garage walls on Friday. Bare breeze block so going to do watered down coat of white, and then a thicker coat. Oping 2 will do it.

Anywhere decent for paint at the moment? And should I be using masonry paint yeah?

Would this be grand?

Matt Emulsion Paint Pure Brilliant White 10Ltr

Or be safer stumping up for this?

Sandtex Ultra Smooth Masonry Paint Pure Brilliant White 10Ltr

And how many L do you think I'll need? 6x4m garage.

@Todd any advice?

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular

Will be painting my garage walls on Friday. Bare breeze block so going to do watered down coat of white, and then a thicker coat. Oping 2 will do it.

Anywhere decent for paint at the moment? And should I be using masonry paint yeah?

Would this be grand?

@Todd any advice?
Is it for cavity walls ? If it's single block I'd get something that seals it.

Reactions: dub

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
Could you seal it with watered down PVA? Like people do with flooring. I wonder how paint would take to PVA.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo

Would this be grand?

@Todd any advice?

Emulsion and a coarse roller and a protective suit, hat and glasses for you. Mask/cover anything you don't want splattered in paint. Water down the first coat 50%. Don't be too fussy on it as when you stand back you wont notice the missed bits that you can see up close.

Reactions: Ben

sc_evo

RMS Regular
Drives
M4
this thread is putting my head away. too many nice garages. some great examples.

i had a landscape gardiner/builder company out and im going to put a 9m x 8m metal shed up. the problem is i have a 50 meter laneway to make through the garden and fit with pipes for water and electric and kerbs/stone etc. next problem is the existing driveway is 1.5m above the garden so a gradual drop will be required due to me liking the cars scraping the ground :grinning: anyway he has given me a quote of 5 grand to do the lot including the concrete base for the metal shed.

the new laneway will be along the hedge on the right hand side to the bottom then turn 90 degrees and that will be the shed backing on to the hedge to the left. going to include an area for a wash bay etc with the view to maybe roofing it at some stage to.

hope to get the laneway in this year and get the shed erected next spring/summer.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Got 1 coat done. Maybe watered it down a tad much, id say about 60% paint 40% water. But it's on, will be doing the 2nd coat tomorrow. Go for 100% paint now? Just cheap white emulsion.

Will update with pics tomorrow.

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
this thread is putting my head away. too many nice garages. some great examples.

i had a landscape gardiner/builder company out and im going to put a 9m x 8m metal shed up. the problem is i have a 50 meter laneway to make through the garden and fit with pipes for water and electric and kerbs/stone etc. next problem is the existing driveway is 1.5m above the garden so a gradual drop will be required due to me liking the cars scraping the ground :grinning: anyway he has given me a quote of 5 grand to do the lot including the concrete base for the metal shed.

the new laneway will be along the hedge on the right hand side to the bottom then turn 90 degrees and that will be the shed backing on to the hedge to the left. going to include an area for a wash bay etc with the view to maybe roofing it at some stage to.

hope to get the laneway in this year and get the shed erected next spring/summer.

Catherine never liked that garden anyway lol

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Got 1 coat done. Maybe watered it down a tad much, id say about 60% paint 40% water. But it's on, will be doing the 2nd coat tomorrow. Go for 100% paint now? Just cheap white emulsion.

Will update with pics tomorrow.

See how thick it is, might be easier to paint it on if you water it down 10-20%.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
See how thick it is, might be easier to paint it on if you water it down 10-20%.

Always Goes on better even if it's just a pint of water mixed into a big tub. Just seems to take a small amount to make it more workable. Especially if it's not to warm out and the surface is cold

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Garage in question. Even my big barge fits in comfortabley, be able to work around it etc. And room for a bench on the right hand side.

image.jpeg

First coat going on

image.jpeg

Looks really watery, but it got a bit whiter after it had dried the next day!

image.jpeg

In round the boiler is a pita.

image.jpeg

I have the 2nd coat on, which was about 5% water. Went on far easier and actually have about 1/3 of a 10l tub left. 2nd coat dried great, most of the blocks won't need a 3rd coat, just a couple i didn't do enough. Don't have 2nd coat pics yet, will upload tomorrow!

Last edited:

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Garage in question. Even my big barge fits in comfortabley, be able to work around it etc. And room for a bench on the right hand side.

View attachment 124368

First coat going on

View attachment 124370

View attachment 124373

View attachment 124374

I have the 2nd coat on, which was about 5% water. Went on far easier and actually have about 1/3 of a 10l tub left. 2nd coat dried great, most of the blocks won't need a 3 coat, just a couple i didn't do enough. Don't have 2nd coat pics yet, will upload tomorrow!

Nice work. All the best with your new home (y)

Reactions: Ben

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular

View attachment 124368

First coat going on

View attachment 124370

View attachment 124373

View attachment 124374

I have the 2nd coat on, which was about 5% water. Went on far easier and actually have about 1/3 of a 10l tub left. 2nd coat dried great, most of the blocks won't need a 3 coat, just a couple i didn't do enough. Don't have 2nd coat pics yet, will upload tomorrow!
Get some better lights too , will make it alot brighter/whiter than a 100w bulb makes it look.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Plan to get strip lighting installed on the 2 side walls and maybe a couple more on the roof.
If you have 2/3 singles down each wall depending on size at an angle that will be all the light you need, especially with white walls.

Tho I'm not one to give advice as our garage has more than enough lol. 4 singles down each long wall, 2 singles above the bench and 4 doubles along the centre peak of the roof lol

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Got the tarmac done outside the garage on saturday to link it into the current drive and also reduce the visual impact of the ramp up to the door level over having it in concrete.

20160903_112940.jpg

20160903_112940.jpg
20160903_112856.jpg

The planks are jusr there to stop anyone driving over it for a few days.
Also got the mx5 in there to do a few jobs before the next targa in a couple of weeks.
20160904_234502.jpg