RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

Mark King

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
Made a (very) small start tonight, I built 1 of 3 shelving bays i got. I only threw stuff up on it to get it off the floor, it'll be organised better when I deal with the rest of the mess. But I'm happy it's made a little dent in the floor space anyway!

A9323DC9-7889-4DAF-9164-9AA9792E6C95_zpswrasfret.jpg

EBF83DDF-18D1-4A6B-8A23-BD6DC7ACE262_zpskiblfdar.jpg
Good size garage @Lyons I feel your pain,I've still **** lying everywhere in mine.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Cheers, very happy with it as a whole. Looking forward to getting the ground levelled ok front of it and getting the cars in.

By ****, do you mean a selection of desirable Cosworths?!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Don't you ever take that sport out as I have yet to see it or hear it passing my house. Garage looks ace.

Not too often! Had it out on Saturday there but the engines cold going up past yours! It'll possibly not be about for much longer anyway, I've decided not to turn it into a car for sprints and so I'm going to sell it on. That's what the other car is for ;)

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
I do like the c2's but the ph2 clio's have aged so much better.

I love the 182 but it's not down to what's aged better for me, it's solely down to what class I can run in in sprints and how much I can build a competitive car for, C2 just works ;-)

thefool1983

RMS Regular
How do you spec the retaining wall? I'd like to level my garden and it'd need a wall, but I've no idea what has to be put in? I assume you need a stronger wall for say a driveway than just holding a garden back?

I specced the wall as well as I could to ensure it will never give any issues. I think it may be overkill but didn't want to take any chances.
Basically it's a deep & wide found (900mm wide x 400mm deep from memory) with steel mesh and uprights placed into before pour.

Then the wall is a hollow 9" block with the steel continued up through the hollows. And then all the cells are backfilled with concrete. It is as close to a monolithic concrete wall as possible without shuttering and pouring etc.

There are also dry assembled specific retaining wall systems available - google Alan block or Tobermore Secura which may do your job ok. Any more info needed give me a shout!

Attachments

• Found Steel.jpg
    Found Steel.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20160806_111035.jpg
    IMG_20160806_111035.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20160814_134618.jpg
    IMG_20160814_134618.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20160816_140410.jpg
    IMG_20160816_140410.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 119

thefool1983

RMS Regular
My garage is still in a bit of a mess with stuff sitting on the floor but managed to get it a little tidier today and squeeze two cars in there! Still a bit or room left too.....View attachment 126766

Looks great. More or less exactly what I'm planning for my garage.
Did you go insulated or non-insulated?
And did you put slab down first or wait until shed was up to pour floor.

What company did you use?

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
I went non-insulated and it does be a bit cold in the winter but like a greenhouse in the summer!

The one I went for comes with a frame which you level on the ground and pour the concrete inside, the garage is then bolted to the frame. It's a really good job, my dad and I built it in a few days.

It came from this company - Steel Sheds and Garages Ireland, Northern Ireland, Shed Price List.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
I went non-insulated and it does be a bit cold in the winter but like a greenhouse in the summer!

The one I went for comes with a frame which you level on the ground and pour the concrete inside, the garage is then bolted to the frame. It's a really good job, my dad and I built it in a few days.

It came from this company - Steel Sheds and Garages Ireland, Northern Ireland, Shed Price List.

Great info - Cheer.

Yeah I have a quote off that crowd already.
My main issue is deciding on insulated or not.
Do you ever have any condensation problems? or does the steel "creak" in the sun?

Sorry for all questions

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
I specced the wall as well as I could to ensure it will never give any issues. I think it may be overkill but didn't want to take any chances.
Basically it's a deep & wide found (900mm wide x 400mm deep from memory) with steel mesh and uprights placed into before pour.

Then the wall is a hollow 9" block with the steel continued up through the hollows. And then all the cells are backfilled with concrete. It is as close to a monolithic concrete wall as possible without shuttering and pouring etc.

There are also dry assembled specific retaining wall systems available - google Alan block or Tobermore Secura which may do your job ok. Any more info needed give me a shout!

Sounds like yours is bomb proof lol.

Cheers for the info!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Great info - Cheer.

Yeah I have a quote off that crowd already.
My main issue is deciding on insulated or not.
Do you ever have any condensation problems? or does the steel "creak" in the sun?

Sorry for all questions

The only condensation issue I have is I went with two sections of the roof in clear perspex and not the coated stuff the rest of the roof is done with. In the winter they do condensate and I kinda regret going with them to be honest, I haven't had any other issues with condensation though. Haven't noticed any creak in the steel either!

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
I love the 182 but it's not down to what's aged better for me, it's solely down to what class I can run in in sprints and how much I can build a competitive car for, C2 just works ;-)
Aye the class the club would be it is a bit hard for a fwd car.

1600 class is easier to build for, brutally competitive class tho.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Aye the class the club would be it is a bit hard for a fwd car.

1600 class is easier to build for, brutally competitive class tho.

I'm building for the road-going class though so it's a wee bit easier to build a competitive car in that class.

Ged

RMS Regular
Drives
sexmo VTS
I'm building for the road-going class though so it's a wee bit easier to build a competitive car in that class.

Must get a nose some day paul, Might get the saxo down to a few events next year. now i hope ive the fuel system sorted... lol

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Anyone recommend a sprayer to paint the inside of the garage? Something cheap and cheerful if possible.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Must get a nose some day paul, Might get the saxo down to a few events next year. now i hope ive the fuel system sorted... lol
Definitely get it out, would love a look around it!

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Well but of time today I bonded on some of that foam foil backed stuff to the garage door... didn't get time to play wii a layer of rock wool on top of it but every little helps?

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Has anybody used the R-tek dark grey textured tiles for a garage? They ok to park a car on?

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
IMG_4002.JPG

My blank canvas. Built in single block. Flat roof. Good concrete floor. Power and heat. Just not sure on what next.
Will insulate the roof between the supports. Run plenty of cables to where I would need power and lights. Then plasterboard and plaster the roof. And plaster walls. I'm not so keen on insulating walls simply because it then means I can't screw into solid brick should I then wish for solid fixing. The roller door will always be a cold spot and draughty too so makes me question putting huge effort into insulation
Decisions.

Last edited:

seanmooney

RMS Regular
View attachment 130451

My blank canvas. Built in single block. Flat roof. Good concrete floor. Power and heat. Just not sure on what next.
Will insulate the roof between the supports. Run plenty of cables to where I would need power and lights. Then plasterboard and plaster the roof. And plaster walls. I'm not so keen on insulating walls simply because it then means I can't screw into solid brick should I then wish for solid fixing. The roller door will always be a cold spot and draughty too so makes me question putting huge effort into insulation
Decisions.

That's a good size of a garage.. the bigger the better (y)