RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

106lad

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
So i have the garage going up at the minute along with the house. Been steadily getting more and more finished over the past few weeks.

20161119_101355.jpg

Its 12m wide by 9m in depth, which should be enough room to get the M3 in and some.

We went for Attic Trusses so that there would be a sizeable space that could be used in future for all of about £200 extra, it was silly not to. Slates are going on as we speak so it should be watertight shortly and ready for some plaster.

received_1870468789854764.jpeg

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
If you haven't considered it a radiator in the garage is some job!!!

Ours is only running at 2 and the garage is proper cosy

106lad

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
If you haven't considered it a radiator in the garage is some job!!!

Ours is only running at 2 and the garage is proper cosy

I might get a look into it, The garage is 15m away from the house, Don't want to be having heat last underground though.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Hmmm where's your boiler going?

Our garage is detached too and houses the boiler

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
IMG-20161126-WA0004.jpeg
Major renovation time at the shop. When we moved to Belfast the workshop got a lick of paint and signage up.

I always had great plans for it but with it being constantly busy it got difficult to find the time to close and do it.

It has become increasingly tired looking lately, so enough was enough, time for a complete refit.

Here it is after stripping everything out again.

At the minute all the walls have been filled and repainted. The ceiling was still bare and always looked untidy so it's being painted as is the floor with proper epoxy.

After that we have some fitted units for storage being installed to keep everything neat and out of sight.

Complete new lighting set up has been wired and will all be fitted once the painting is finished. Lots more sockets and outdoor lighting too.

Then @Blackwater Graphics have been working on new signage. It's really cool IMO and I can't wait to see it in place.

Lastly we are beefing up our security even further for good measure.

Once the main workshop is complete we are renovating the toilets and staff room/kitchen.

We are considering R-tek flooring at the back of the unit too in our clean work areas but Im not sure how well they will stand up to the volume of traffic. Plus I'm not sure how easily cleaned they are.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
@big_pete or anyone else. What sort of paint is best for a floor that will last pretty good ?

What's epoxy paint ?
I need to work out what to paint my 40 sq/m floor area. It won't see heavy work. But will see some

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GR86
@big_pete or anyone else. What sort of paint is best for a floor that will last pretty good ?

What's epoxy paint ?
I need to work out what to paint my 40 sq/m floor area. It won't see heavy work. But will see some

We use Sikafloor 264. Very hard wearing and good for constant traffic. Just need good floor prep and not too cold.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully

What's epoxy paint ?

I ordered epoxy paint that was linked in this thread towards the start and then was a bit scared to use it with all the stories of it lifting.

Since I had already purchased it I decided to paint it anyway. I put it onto a freshly laid concrete floor and made sure the temperature was held while painting and for a good while afterwards. Two coats and it went on easy (aside from needing to make sure you have a good quality mask) and is still unmarked. Mine would be a light use domestic garage with a fair amount of foot traffic.

If using it I would make sure the prep work is done / floor clean and have a heater or two running afterwards to ensure a good temperature.

Reactions: Ben

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I ordered epoxy paint that was linked in this thread towards the start and then was a bit scared to use it with all the stories of it lifting.

Since I had already purchased it I decided to paint it anyway. I put it onto a freshly laid concrete floor and made sure the temperature was held while painting and for a good while afterwards. Two coats and it went on easy (aside from needing to make sure you have a good quality mask) and is still unmarked. Mine would be a light use domestic garage with a fair amount of foot traffic.

If using it I would make sure the prep work is done / floor clean and have a heater or two running afterwards to ensure a good temperature.

Maybe best left to summer then ?
Half the area is fresh concrete, half is painted previously.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Cheap floor paint doesn't last, well in a high volume workshop anyway. We have went epoxy this time that needs etch primer etc first.

It's expensive but the cheap paints didn't last

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully

I did mine in February or March when a real cold spell had hit. I didn't want the floor / garage to be used and then have to try to prep it again.

If you have a heater then I wouldn't let the outside temperature put you off. (y)

floor 1.jpg

floor 2.jpg

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GR86

You'll need to lift the existing paint if its not already epoxy. Can hire a floor grinder, hoover after, will leave you a flat surface ready for painting.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
What sort of prep are we talking ?

As @impact said try to lift any existing coating and make sure the floor is as clean as you can get it (concrete cleaner from screwfix is grand), then make sure it's dry before applying the paint.

Thon looks a good heater.

I don't think the floor would've taken as well without your fabulous burner of doom :cool:

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Just spent half an hour in awe of some of the stuff throughout this thread. Some stunning garages and workshops!

I've been garageless for two years now, and finally building will start early next year. Can't see me keeping to any sort of budget with some of the stuff going on here to torture me!

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Just spent half an hour in awe of some of the stuff throughout this thread. Some stunning garages and workshops!

I've been garageless for two years now, and finally building will start early next year. Can't see me keeping to any sort of budget with some of the stuff going on here to torture me!

Guessing this is the reason for the thread name change then lol.