RMS Offroad Enthusiasts - Punch Hunt - Flagstaff - 25th August 2019

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Yes you won't be able to go everywhere but will still be able to have fun. There's a very good mix of terrain for everyone.

seaside-racer

RMS Regular
Drives
discovery & wrx
Downhill descent in the disco really messes with the head, don't touch anything and let it do its own thing, uses the abs and traction control to brake and accelerate when need

seaside-racer

RMS Regular
Drives
discovery & wrx
be interested to see how the crv gets on, I reckon it will be ok as ours went everywhere in the last big snow, even up to craigantlet as far as the mates disco.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Should get on rightly. Decent 4x4 system and I know the earlier ones had a few guards underneath them, which susprised a couple of us and pointed toward some sort of offroad intent. Unibody, indy suspension and no low ratio box so it's never going to be a defender on the rough stuff, but I reckon it'll surprise a few doubters.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
As Craig says there are plenty of tracks that you will be able to traverse. There were a few tracks that we never attempted too as our jeeps wouldn't have made it!

So long as you can get into the place, I recall that once through the gate we had the option of the stone pad or the grassy pad up the hill, most chose the grassy pad, some nearly didn't make it @weeloaney ;)

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
is this possible with a cr-v on road tyres ...?
if so could be interested!
As said you will be able to get about, may need to avoid some bits, take a different route or turn and go back :p

Plenty of vehicles should you get stuck to pull you out, usually stay together for a bits craic and watch other get stuck lol

With the traction control on vehicles like these it can be surprising how well they go, seen ones go in through bad fields at rallies and not get stuck.

As Craig says there are plenty of tracks that you will be able to traverse. There were a few tracks that we never attempted too as our jeeps wouldn't have made it!

So long as you can get into the place, I recall that once through the gate we had the option of the stone pad or the grassy pad up the hill, most chose the grassy pad, some nearly didn't make it @weeloaney ;)

To be fair on that first slope, I was just setting the tone for what I'll be like that day, foot flat to the floor "giving her all she's got" hahaha.

If I went easier up that bit it probably wouldn't have been spinning so much, but thats no fun :p

The second grassy slope didn't go so well tho, hopefully won't have the same problem this time.

@seaside-racer I saw a video on facebook of a defender going down that real steep slope that none of us tried, at least it looks like it. Looked like it was used since our trip as there was clear tracks down it.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
@weeloaney and set the tone you did!
To my dying day I will never forget your drift coming off the micro/quad track :cool:
Neither will I, the big brute wasn't coming out of that last huge slide, power off made the back end come round and more throttle just made the slide faster haha

Not doing that again, probably have less power and more so the new grippy high profile tyres could make her go over :/ :p

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Neither will I, the big brute wasn't coming out of that last huge slide, power off made the back end come round and more throttle just made the slide faster haha

Not doing that again, probably have less power and more so the new grippy high profile tyres could make her go over :/ :p
The tyres that you have on now I had on then, and with me being swb I'm more likely than you to go over lol
I'd love to see how the series looked on the track cos that was one of the highlights of my day!
New owners might not be as forgiving tho...

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
The tyres that you have on now I had on then, and with me being swb I'm more likely than you to go over lol
I'd love to see how the series looked on the track cos that was one of the highlights of my day!
New owners might not be as forgiving tho...
Your probably right, tho does your series weigh 2.3 ton :-#

Think I only have a video of Craig, was still recovery from my run when you were out :p

Well get a chat with them and find out our boundaries.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I remember saying to Gary as Weeloaney hammers past, full lock, sideways and at about 30mph:

"F*** me there's some momentum with that Rangie!!"

And on past he went...

Hilarious :laughing:

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
I remember saying to Gary as Weeloaney hammers past, full lock, sideways and at about 30mph:

"F*** me there's some momentum with that Rangie!!"

And on past he went...

Hilarious :laughing:

Hahaha

Glad someone found it hilarious at the time, wasn't till after I could laugh. Tho that quickly went when the shock broke.

Tho that problem is sorted now.

seaside-racer

RMS Regular
Drives
discovery & wrx
Micra track was awesome craic, hopefully we get let lose there again. Yeah if I get downhill descent working I might consider going down it this time.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Friend of mine will be bringing his Nissan RM3:

image.jpeg

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Going to be a great variety of vehicles

Mines getting further away from being ready atm, as they say 2 steps forward one step back :p.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Mines still at the mechanics lol., was hoping to MOT it before this in case I break anything else but sure.
I'll land down on Saturday with the trailer and get it gathered up no matter what condition its in

Austinp

RMS Regular
Drives
R35,Z33,FL2,MR2
If there are any places left, I wouldn't mind going to see what my Freelander 2 is capable of. It's on Goodyear Wrangler tyres so not sure how it would fair.

I did Todd's Leap a few years ago in their vehicles and enjoyed it.

Is there anything we need to bring on the day from those who do it regularly?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I think there is space OK mate. Some of us are planning on meeting at TK Diner at 9am for a fry-up before we head off. Bring warm clothes, wellies, a few tools, cable ties, money, etc. We won't leave anyone stranded so essentially you could arrive with nothing and still be OK. I also bring a wee bit of oil and coolant too, just in case.

Going to be a great variety of vehicles

Mines getting further away from being ready atm, as they say 2 steps forward one step back :p.

You's LR boys love it. You would be bored with the Jap scrap. I've the wheels to swap and need to fix a hole in the grill (to stop a stick poking the radiator) and that's it. /smugmode