Rust treaments

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
about to tackle the underside of the MR2 and it is rather very rusty. What do people recommend to use to inhibit the rust before applying stonechip coat etc?

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Dinitrol RC800 or RC900 (same product only one is aerosol and one needs applied via gun), which is a rust convertor/inhibitor. Then Coat with Dinitrol 4941.

Job jobbed.

pablo

RMS Moderator
FWIW I brushed the 4941 stuff on rather than use an air gun. I also recommend the aersol version of the 800/900 stuff as it doesnt take much so the spray can is handy.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
I tried the dinitrol stuff after reading all the good reviews and followed directions and I found it peeling off after a few months where POR wasn't peeling off (I did one half of each to test), so I've just went back to waxoyl a couple of times a year.

Both were applied on a lift on a clean dry car (even used a space heater to dry it for half a day beforehand )

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I tried the dinitrol stuff after reading all the good reviews and followed directions and I found it peeling off after a few months where POR wasn't peeling off (I did one half of each to test), so I've just went back to waxoyl a couple of times a year.

Both were applied on a lift on a clean dry car (even used a space heater to dry it for half a day beforehand )

POR15 is the one to go for as @Mark_C says. It just goes straight on to the rust and sets absolutely hard as nails.

_James_

RMS Regular
OP
_James_
Drives
V50/M135i
Dinitrol RC800 or RC900 (same product only one is aerosol and one needs applied via gun), which is a rust convertor/inhibitor. Then Coat with Dinitrol 4941.

Job jobbed.

Do you keep this in stock? It’ll give me an excuse to go visit me oul mother!

_James_

RMS Regular
OP
_James_
Drives
V50/M135i
POR15 is the one to go for as @Mark_C says. It just goes straight on to the rust and sets absolutely hard as nails.

Does it neutralise/inhibit the rust as well? I really don’t fancy painting it up for it just to rust away out of sight.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
How bad is the rust? Is it just light surface or are we talking falling apart like weetabix

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Does it neutralise/inhibit the rust as well? I really don’t fancy painting it up for it just to rust away out of sight.

Yep it does it all in one go. It doesn't like existing paint or clean metal, it actaully works best going onto rust. You can overcoat it or leave it (it's not UV stable so will go grey if exposed to sunlight).

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
Bilthamber stuff is supposed to be very good.

I rated Bilt Hamber highly until I tried hydrate 80 on the boot floor of the rallye. It was wirebrushed/wheeled back as far as I was comfortable with, hydrate 80 applied (2 coats with 24 hours in between) then painted with 3 coats of paint. Within 2 years and ~500miles, all summer/dry day miles, the rust has started to poke through again.

I'll be tackling it again in winter with POR15 this time.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Fire up a few photos if you can to get an idea...

To provide a durable stone / damage protection the POR15 is the absolute nuts. As it's been said it can be picky about the surface you apply it to. Do note they do provide a metal prep to apply to rusty areas prior to POR15.

Beyond that, I would suggest the BiltHamber products as a cavity wax, additional layer of protection and their underbody coatings. In fairness to @Woodcutter the Dinitrol products have a great reputation too. I can only really comment on what I have used and had success with.

A combination of both POR15 as a hard coating and a cavity wax / underbody coatings would be unbeatable.

Last edited:

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
That’s a damn fine job. Where would one pick up this Por-15?

ebay or amazon, my advice would be to buy multiple small tubs rather than one big one (think this was @svensktoppen advice to me at the time) , and wear some gloves, then put some gloves over the gloves , then wrap your whole self in some thick plastic and then put some more gloves on top.

also buy some cheapo B&M paint brushes and dont even try to clean them, just buck them in the bin

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Watching with interest as I have a tow bar and drop plate to tidy up. Ideally I want to stay with the original matt black finish.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Don't know about using POR-15 for complete undercoating, I've only used it on things like wishbones and tie rods and other bits and pieces. Did use it on the floor in the Lotus cabin though.

It sets rock hard and perfectly smooth.

As above it likes a rough surface for something to bite on. Just clean and degrease, then paint straight on.

If the surface is smooth then use an etch primer first. The same manufacturer makes that too. In my personal experience it is best to "stay in the family" as it were for best POR-15 results, the chemistry is a bit unique.

And small containers as above, it goes a very long way and doesn't last very long once opened. If you do need to re-seal it then put some cling film between the lid and the can or you will never get it open again :innocent:

Don't get it anywhere you don't want it, wipe immediately if needed, it will never go away once set, lol :joy: Keep a good supply of cellulose thinner handy in case you get any spills, it's the only thing that will shift it and even then only before it sets.

It really is brilliant stuff!

I get mine from here:
High Quality Tools and Equipment | Frost Restoration

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Por15 for suspension components etc

Epoxy mastic 121 for underfloor etc. Check out my build thread for pics

Jethro

RMS Regular
A word of warning using POR15.. If you accidentally get it on your hands, arms or face and let it dry in do not think it will be easily washed off. It has to wear off and can take weeks!!