Solar Panels and Home Battery

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
yea thats correct, its in addition to fire that info to the inverter.
a spark mate says its straightforward, so hopefully get him in soon, then the app should hopefully tell me whats being drawn/exported and what im consuming at any given point

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
Got the meter in today, and spend the rest of the day getting angry at trying to find out the installer code for the inverter. Got it, accessed the settings via the app, and voilà!
Screenshot_20220513-213857_SolaxCloud.jpg

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
How was it connected in the end?

It went between the supply meter and the Second, handy enough

Have you got pics of it fitted? Does it link to an app for the meter or is that via your inverter?

I can get one, thought I did but I dunno where it went. It's a network cable, inverter end is rj45 plug and the other end in the meter is the blue/bluewhite wires. Just the two wires required for it.

First full day with it running...

Screenshot_20220514-202819_SolaxCloud.jpg

Ged

RMS Regular
Drives
sexmo VTS
Bit of an update, after 10 days so far I've made 540kw/h pretty decent I think for the weather some terrible days and some sunny days. If i get half that in the winter it will be sweet. My immersion booster and dongle for the phone and apps should be here this week.

20220515_215623.JPG

The latest victim round the house seems to be the washing machine, I've never been one for a tumble dryer but with the solar I'm thinking of getting a washer dryer combo. I've no space for a separate one and I need a new washing machine now anyway.
hoping to get one with a programmable timer to start it middle of the day and use the free electric. Anyone upto speed on any of them?

Cheers Ged

chrisd

RMS Regular
Drives
Tiguan
The washer dryer combo machine is absolutely terrible was going to get one a few years ago and everyone I knew including the sales person at our local white goods/electrical shop didn't rate them whatsoever, main issue being terribly terribly slow at drying.

Ended up buying a decent washing machine and a tradional standard vent out the wall dryer and haven't looked back.

would stacking a tumble dryer onto of the washing machine be a option?

Reactions: Ged

Ged

RMS Regular
Drives
sexmo VTS
The washer dryer combo machine is absolutely terrible was going to get one a few years ago and everyone I knew including the sales person at our local white goods/electrical shop didn't rate them whatsoever, main issue being terribly terribly slow at drying.

Ended up buying a decent washing machine and a tradional standard vent out the wall dryer and haven't looked back.

would stacking a tumble dryer onto of the washing machine be a option?

Ive heard similar but it would leave me dry cloths and lack of need for a vent is appealing, ive heard like 3h cycle time?

No its underneath a work top unfortunatly. and the garage is quite a while away which is the only real other place I can put one.

Long cycle times dont really bother me as id run it when im at work anyway and saves the cloths lieing damp until I get home. Just want something that wont break down after a year or 2.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Be careful running a tumble dryer when not at home. Worth double checking your home insurance with one too 👍

Ace_vaux

RMS Regular
Drives
Mustang
Bit of an update, after 10 days so far I've made 540kw/h pretty decent I think for the weather some terrible days and some sunny days. If i get half that in the winter it will be sweet. My immersion booster and dongle for the phone and apps should be here this week.

View attachment 361133

The latest victim round the house seems to be the washing machine, I've never been one for a tumble dryer but with the solar I'm thinking of getting a washer dryer combo. I've no space for a separate one and I need a new washing machine now anyway.
hoping to get one with a programmable timer to start it middle of the day and use the free electric. Anyone upto speed on any of them?

Cheers Ged

That’s a good output! I’ve done 225kwh this month off a 4.4/3.6kw system.

Winter was grim for production I think I managed 100kw in January and December combined.

Walder

RMS Regular
I have a 5kw system with a sunny inverter.

I have been toying with the idea of a power bank as I seen tesla have one on the market but at around 5k which is the price of the orginal system I just don't see or know if its good value for money or can be integrated into the current system.

I have an iboost and tbh I would rather have electric to burn at night than piping hot water in the middle of summer. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations

PAULW

RMS Regular
Tempted by solar from reading this thread, would likely be ground mounted though, rather than on the roof. What companies can you recommend?

Seen Start Solar mentioned, who else?

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R

have you got that set up for the right price? and also set up to show whats being used by you/imported/exported etc for it do the calculations?
I dont know that app, but mine looks like the below and tells whats all the above info to do the calc.

Ive only had the app set up since start of the month, and the meter providing the import/export to the inverter for 2 weeks

1653562108770.png

Ghost

RMS Regular
That’s a good generation 3677kw over the life. How long have you had it installed?
Your unit price looks right at 22p per unit. (Approx 5kw generated and £1.14 saving)

Your monthly is about 30kw more than mine for may.
Installed at beginning of February 2022. Yeah its pretty epic. Well exceeded my expectations. But winter will be ****.
have you got that set up for the right price? and also set up to show whats being used by you/imported/exported etc for it do the calculations?
I dont know that app, but mine looks like the below and tells whats all the above info to do the calc.

Ive only had the app set up since start of the month, and the meter providing the import/export to the inverter for 2 weeks

View attachment 362489
Yup. Wasn't right at thr start when I first got it, but accurate now.
Screenshot_20220526-204742_Solis Home.jpg
Screenshot_20220526-204806_Solis Home.jpg

@Rocko

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
So what, £2400+ a year?

Is 1.58MWh not 1580kw? 1580 x 0.21 per unit = £331.80

Am I calculating it wrong?

Last edited:

Ace_vaux

RMS Regular
Drives
Mustang
Installed at beginning of February 2022. Yeah its pretty epic. Well exceeded my expectations. But winter will be ****.

Yup. Wasn't right at thr start when I first got it, but accurate now.
View attachment 362541View attachment 362542

@Rocko

Something isn’t adding up

What size of array have you got?

That’s shows £12.07 generation today. At 22p per kw that’s a daily production of 54kw today? The weather was patchy - I managed 16.5kw today which is what I would expect.

I have generated 1561kwh since December which is similar to yours since February but at 22p per unit paid on NIE is £340.20

Last edited:

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
what's your FIT (feed in tarrif) price? should be set to 0.0785.

to get an accurate figure, that app needs to know what youre using vs what your exporting to decide which rate to do the maths with.

with those figures youll have it paid off in like 2 years, which would be awesome if its accurate

my figures for the day - 27kwh generated

self use from solar - 5.4units x 22p = 118p
export from solar - 21.9units x 0.0785 = 171p
consumed from grid - 2.56units x 22p = 56p

total for the day (118+171)-56 = 233p up for the day

Last edited:

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
So what, £2400+ a year?

Is 1.58MWh not 1580kw? 1580 x 0.21 per unit = £331.80

Am I calculating it wrong?

thats assuming as well that every single one of those units has been consumed, and not exported, then it would be a 331 *saving* rather than 331 in a cheque in the mail.(which is the preferred option)
Otherwise, if you export it, its 0.0785p/kwh so if you exported all 1580 it would be £124 odd

Ace_vaux

RMS Regular
Drives
Mustang
View attachment 362570

That's my unit rate....

Ok rate seems right but what did you produce yesterday to give a daily saving of £12.07?

It’s a 5kw system so it’s comparable to mine - and there is zero chance of going 54kw yesterday.

Does you picture not show 23.3kw? Which is just over £5 saving @22p per unit.

Your lifetime saving is £820.51 for 1580kw, which gives a rate of 52p per unit.

Yesterday shows £12.07 for 23.3kw which again is 52p per unit.

There is something confusing/strange in the figures.

Last edited:

Ghost

RMS Regular
I'll be honest,I'm not overly worried about the app figures. I went from paying £200pm with a hottub, to £80-£90pm.....

Win win for me. If electric gets too bad, then the hotub can go off and make further savings.