Spar Crash Lisburn

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Blind, stupid, entitled. Come across at least one every day and that's the reason I gave up motorcycling. No way I'd be on a road these days without some steel around me.

Dr Dacia there saw the police car at the last minute and braked hard as you can see the rear of the car rise considerably in the video. I'm certain if that police car had have been a motorbike then he or she would not have seen it at all and would have pulled right across it's path.

Sometimes the worst thing to do when you ****ed up....is slam on the brakes and make matters worse. GTFO out of the way !

Hopefully the car will have a dashcam, it'd make for interesting footage.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
The road conditions, volume of traffic and surroundings will dictate the speed driven in addition to the type of call being responded to.

But it always comes back to 'Drive to Arrive'.
I'm very aware of that.
Unfortunately the general public aren't, but yes, it's no good going flat out and then not making it there and compounding the problem.
As you well know, not every call is what you've received over the radio.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
Was due to call to this store today with work and this was the look after yesterday, didn’t look too bad to be fair.
8E8898F8-5DF1-465B-8330-2239D578BF2E.jpeg

Eamo_vxr

RMS Regular
Drives
Slow and low!
I think that school bus has blocked the view to an extent of the Dacia driver. He went to early.

Imo the police were also driving too fast in a heavily built up, car and tree lined road.

BabyCraig_

RMS Regular
Tell that too the victim who’s awaiting their arrival….

It’ll all be recorded, speeds, G forces, braking etc etc etc so if there’s fault it’ll be found.

No emergency service is exempt from prosecution, nor the road traffic order fully- its down to the driver too justify the circumstances and decision.

If that wasn’t a police car, the narrative would be look at the idiot pulling out in front of someone.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Was due to call to this store today with work and this was the look after yesterday, didn’t look too bad to be fair.View attachment 375825

So they completely missed the bollards ? lol

It’ll all be recorded, speeds, G forces, braking etc etc etc so if there’s fault it’ll be found.

No emergency service is exempt from prosecution, nor the road traffic order fully- its down to the driver too justify the circumstances and decision.

If that wasn’t a police car, the narrative would be look at the idiot pulling out in front of someone.

It is still look at the idiot who drive into the path of them. But with the added joke of the police car wiping out the shop front.

All things considered, it was all very very lucky as could have been much much worse.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX

Or the family of someone squashed trying to do their shopping?

May not be exempt but certainly not as harshly dealt with compared to the general public.

And certainly it’s getting more publicity as it was a police car but if it were a normal person driving at speed without blue lights on then the narrative would have been dangerous driver avoids poor Dacia owner trying to get some groceries

ka88

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche 997 C2S
Or the family of someone squashed trying to do their shopping?

May not be exempt but certainly not as harshly dealt with compared to the general public.

And certainly it’s getting more publicity as it was a police car but if it were a normal person driving at speed without blue lights on then the narrative would have been dangerous driver avoids poor Dacia owner trying to get some groceries
Not always in my experience. Policewoman drove in front of me 20 years ago at the 4 road ends off-duty in her civilian car, meaning I ploughed straight into the side of her car, plus she had a baby in the back.
I assumed I would be the one in trouble (18 year old male at the time) but in the end she was done for dangerous driving. To be fair to the cops that showed up, they could see it wasn't my fault and made it all very easy for me.

And in this instance, the person in the Dacia might not be an idiot as some are saying, but they could just be old. That's another debate, should old people be driving?! :grinning: I know I've seen a few instances recently where people are frustrated at some old people driving and are blaring the horn at them. I feel sorry for them, they are doing their best, but the roads are so busy now that it's hard for them

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Sounding very like walking into a bear cage and kicking the bear here. Getting mauled and blaming the bear.

Due care and attention and cutting the junction if they'd have taken the turn correctly might it of happened then ?
Dacia caused it any car coming would of attacked the same imo.

If it happened to a member would any one trying to blame them ?

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
I think people are critical because I) police are expected to have higher standards than general public, ii) a shop junction is somewhere that one might reasonably expect some car or pedestrian activity iii) the irony that police constantly push speeding down our throats as the main problem on the roads.

Also worth considering how much that bus obscured the view ahead of the Dacia driver. Could quite conceivably have been a clear road as far as they could see when they started their manouvre.

Final one, sometimes the sirens on emergency vehicles in this country can be very directional. Is this not the reason European countries have different sounds that spread wider?

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Also worth considering how much that bus obscured the view ahead of the Dacia driver. Could quite conceivably have been a clear road as far as they could see when they started their manouvre.

So he started the manoeuvre without due care then? . He was cutting the junction and broke the white line. Pretty clear cut imo.

Lee

RMS Regular
Approaching that section of the road , you would have to be aware that someone may or may not pull in or out of that entrance.
You can’t drive at that speed and just hope for the best.

I agree. Unfortunately driving at speed, hoping for the best and having faith in other drivers, didn't pay off for them this time.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
If the bus obscured the view of the Dacia then they should have taken the turn more cautiously instead of firing it in

Granted the driver probably didn't expect someone to be driving so fast in the on coming traffic

For example - this is a motorbike but it shows people are looking before making a decision but potentially due to speed, the vehicle wasnt there when they last checked

Could be a similar case - to many variables and unknowns for us to comment on a forum based on some videos

IMO:

Police were responding to a call which, based on the video, seemed urgent given the speed - should they be going that fast? what speed where they doing? who knows, I dont.
There may have been an obstruction to view for the Dacia but common sense and/or experience should have told the driver to proceed with caution
Dacia driver seemed to not proceed with caution and winged it in resulting in a near collision and forcing the police car to take evasive action
Under normal driving conditions by joe public, this would have just been a horn blaring contest and hand gestures

PDK

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E92 & E46
In my opinion, Dacia drivers fault.
Wasn’t paying attention, cut the corner - had they not have cut the corner the police car would have been past them.

Maybe they would have even seen blue flashing lights approaching rather than focusing on getting into the car park early.

Clearly no awareness, resulting in the police car having to swerve and by a complete miracle there wasn’t anyone outside the shop, the girl inside was very lucky too.

Police driver should have also expected the unexpected in a built up area and maybe waited until a clearer stretch to build up speed.

But I still the the Dacia is the main culprit.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Few standout things for me. The sheer volume of Fanta & fizzy drinks available at that Spar store is nothing short of impressive. Also how Police managed to thread the car through those bollards, at speed, for a strike on the Fanta inside the shop should be applauded. Last thing is whoever installed the bollards should probably check google on the width of cars before installing them in future or try somewhere else than Aliexpress for a replacement tape measure. Unless of course they're decorative bollards. In which case they're lovely... but sadly not much use.

Also heart warming to see the RMS accident investigation team on the case again. It feels like ages since we've had one of these threads. Hope the 5-0 are taking notes ahead of any serious investigations. Sandero owners getting tarred with the same brush is the icing on the cake tbh.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Spar has the 12 deals for Christmas on. Some poor sod out the back probably only packed them out that day.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
So he started the manoeuvre without due care then? . He was cutting the junction and broke the white line. Pretty clear cut imo.

Not necessarily. It may not be that clear cut. If you can see that far enough ahead is clear for you to complete your move, you start and make your move. As someone else has said the cop car may not have even been within sight when they began moving.

I guess we'll never know!

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Blue lights and sirens also turn drivers into completely indecisive muppets in some cases.

They panic can't make a decision and just stop dead in front of you or block the path you were committed to etc.

It really is like running the gauntlet every blue light run and unfortunately driving standards is increasingly getting worse.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Blue lights and sirens also turn drivers into completely indecisive muppets in some cases.

They panic can't make a decision and just stop dead in front of you or block the path you were committed to etc.

It really is like running the gauntlet every blue light run and unfortunately driving standards is increasingly getting worse.

I was driving along Kings Road in East Belfast last night, ambulance racing up behind me so I pull over conveniently to let it past. Young girl in front just diagonally bins it to the left in panic resulting in ambulance having to slow and go round her 🙄 🤯

I flashed the lights at her too so she would look in the rear view to see the ambulance in time but as with most people in their cars, oblivious.

What grinds my gears, off topic, is now seeing a lot of drivers wearing over ear head phones - why???

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken

That is very true. It is bizarre to watch people's behaviours sometimes. It must crack you guys up, especially the stopping dead thing that just creates more of a problem than keeping moving and making space.

I think it's Germany you can be fined for being an idiot around a blue light vehicle. They have proper lane zipping protocols too for letting them through.