Spar Crash Lisburn

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
So many people either don't see the big luminous liveried flashy light embelished vehicle or hear them it's unbelieveable. I was passing through Ballynahinch yesterday morning going out the Newcastle road with the usual queue of traffic on the other side of the road heading into the town. An ambulance appeared on my side of the road, lights on so I pulled in to a driveway entrance to give them room. The person behind me pulled out round me giving me the evils even though I had indicated etc and I just pointed at the rapidly approaching ambulance and watched him make the most half hearted attempt to pull in just in front of me. It was impossible not to see it unless you were just focused on the back of the car in front..... 🤦‍♂️

richie_mck

RMS Regular
I think the emergency services vehicles should be restricted to the speed limit unless there's been a full public consultation on how important the situation they are responding to is, majority vote. Im pretty sure people in an emergency situation could wait 10 minutes more until enough experts have commented on social media. Could they hire some type of medium or psychic to predict how important the emergency is? What is Tom cruise up to after top gun 2, he could do that minority report thing again. Bernard had a watch that stopped time, if they were able to get their hands on that they could have stopped time and just driven around the dacia.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I think it's Germany you can be fined for being an idiot around a blue light vehicle. They have proper lane zipping protocols too for letting them through.
Yup, quite a hefty fine too. I lived in Berlin for a couple of years on and off and it was always impressive seeing the traffic parting like the red sea as an emergency vehicle went through, especially on the autobahns.

BabyCraig_

RMS Regular
I’ve watched people actively obstruct a police car on a blue light run 😂 pull the finger out the window, speed up and prevent safe overtakes.

It’s just the nature of the beast at times, there’s also strict rules for EMS as to acceptable speed limits, it’s not just a free for all because the lights are on 😂

I’d say the amount of blue light runs by all EMS throughout the country vs amount of accidents caused is very low.

I also recall numerous other incidents on emergency runs involving NIFS or NIAS involving, it’s just a hazard of responding.

Personally I’d rather when my relative is having a heart attack or someone’s trying to get into their house that the driver drives as fast as he can safely. Accidents will always happen. If they’ve been an idiot they will be dealt with accordingly

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Wonder if it had been an Ambulance or Fire Engine would everyone be criticising them as much as they are the cops.

Granted, a fire engine would have obliterated that Spar and everything in its path including the lads inside the truck 😬

Are most people not more critical of the Dacia ?
If the bus obscured the view of the Dacia then they should have taken the turn more cautiously instead of firing it in

Granted the driver probably didn't expect someone to be driving so fast in the on coming traffic

For example - this is a motorbike but it shows people are looking before making a decision but potentially due to speed, the vehicle wasnt there when they last checked

Could be a similar case - to many variables and unknowns for us to comment on a forum based on some videos

IMO:

Police were responding to a call which, based on the video, seemed urgent given the speed - should they be going that fast? what speed where they doing? who knows, I dont.
There may have been an obstruction to view for the Dacia but common sense and/or experience should have told the driver to proceed with caution
Dacia driver seemed to not proceed with caution and winged it in resulting in a near collision and forcing the police car to take evasive action
Under normal driving conditions by joe public, this would have just been a horn blaring contest and hand gestures

No.

People simply do not look. As I've stated for many years. Far far too many blind morons who simply do not use their eyes when driving. Or if they are looking, they're brain dead and choose to drive into the path of other vehicles.
But this literally huge group of road users....the police, the law....do almost nothing to target or deal with them

Perhaps this should be another massive wake up call ?

eamon343

RMS Regular
I had a look on an anti psni facebook group to see what their comments are like, all in favor of the Dacia, "cops were going too fast" "cops were only doing 30 so should have been able to avoid that" etc...

big cyril

RMS Regular
Interested to know what the criteria are for blue light responses? Presumably someone senior has to authorise it or is it just down to each police driver to decide?

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Interested to know what the criteria are for blue light responses? Presumably someone senior has to authorise it or is it just down to each police driver to decide?
That particular agencies Blue light driver training course (National Operational Guidance). Simple as that.

The driver of the vehicle drives to his/her own dynamic risk assessment at that time. Each type of call does not have a 'type' or driving style if you get me.

Eg no risk to life or property you wouldn't drive as hard as to eg confirmed immediate threat to life

Last edited:

BabyCraig_

RMS Regular
It’s categories, based off what @gpaevo has said. Within that category it’s the drivers risk assessment as to how it’s driven, and ability/ training level.

And even at that it’s not a free for all 70mph in a 30 zone…

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
I've seen cars drive past police stations at more. I'm still one of the few idiots that sit at 50 it seems on the westlink as I've usually someone up my hole looking past at 70 🤣

BabyCraig_

RMS Regular
It’s more worrying when emergency services are on a blue light and aren’t easily overtaking traffic 😂

Speeding is rife in this country compared to the mainland

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
From 15 years on the mainland, I'd say we are merely playing at it. On any reasonably long journey over there you will encounter two or three cars doing well into 3 figures and average motorway speeds are easily in the 80 -85 range.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
From 15 years on the mainland, I'd say we are merely playing at it. On any reasonably long journey over there you will encounter two or three cars doing well into 3 figures and average motorway speeds are easily in the 80 -85 range.
Agreed, I lived there for 10 years and constantly did 80 plus on m/way daily. People flew past like you were doing 40 constantly

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Just caught up with this - yes, last months news - but holy sh1te!!! That was a close escape.

Any other word on this? Was the Dacia driver found, fined etc - or was the PSNI driver done?

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Yea I’ve done about 100k miles in England/Wales in hire cars and speed limits are more an advisory thing unless there’s fixed cameras. Especially on the motorways.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Just caught up with this - yes, last months news - but holy sh1te!!! That was a close escape.

Any other word on this? Was the Dacia driver found, fined etc - or was the PSNI driver done?

Probably still early days. Haven't heard anything about it....will we ?