Spate of Keyless Car Thefts in NI

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
I assume that's a 7 or 8 year old Ford then?
I had one with that set up, the absolute stupidest key system.........
- find the key
- push the button
- open the car
- get in
- push start button
- wonder where to put key
My 2018 bm has it
I like it. Unlock car. Key in pocket. Push button. Key is still in pockey

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Back to old 306 keypad immobiliser lol

Clifford alarms used to have a similar add on to their systems, it was called blackjax.

I think the problem with most people is they don't want the inconvenience of punching a code in to allow them to start the car, it's the only reason I can think of why manufacturers don't fit them these days.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
My friend is a Ford sales person in Lisburn. He was showing me the app they now have that can do a number of things like start the car (only available on auto models I think) or track its movements (concerned mum and dad feature maybe?).

The one that really got me thinking was the ability to unlock the car remotely. Like from anywhere.

Why? What purpose could that serve? I did ask how does the security work on it. He asked me what I meant. I said, what if your phone was cloned or your ford profile is hacked. There is everything in the app to tell where the car is and to get it unlocked and going.

To paraphase a certain 90s dinosaur disaster movie, I think Ford were so preoccupied with building this app, they never stopped to think if they should.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
My friend is a Ford sales person in Lisburn. He was showing me the app they now have that can do a number of things like start the car (only available on auto models I think) or track its movements (concerned mum and dad feature maybe?).

The one that really got me thinking was the ability to unlock the car remotely. Like from anywhere.

Why? What purpose could that serve? I did ask how does the security work on it. He asked me what I meant. I said, what if your phone was cloned or your ford profile is hacked. There is everything in the app to tell where the car is and to get it unlocked and going.

To paraphase a certain 90s dinosaur disaster movie, I think Ford were so preoccupied with building this app, they never stopped to think if they should.

Boss' new Volvo does that. He can start it from the other side of the world. Presumably so you can get the heat into it before you leave the house in the morning?

Security is definitely way down the list unfortunately.

jferg

RMS Regular
Bought myself a wee RFID blocking pouch today

Attachments

• 15736637970278757593364953148800.jpg
    15736637970278757593364953148800.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 34

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Boss' new Volvo does that. He can start it from the other side of the world. Presumably so you can get the heat into it before you leave the house in the morning?

Security is definitely way down the list unfortunately.

My car does that as well, you have to go through a number of security steps to prove your identity before it works, this is required every time the app is installed or uninstalled even on the same phone.

Mine also has some pretty cool geofencing on the app as well, you can set several different security boundaries and you will get a text if it moves outside these.

ShaunB

RMS Regular
RFID protection case AND my engine start button lol

Secure AF!!

View attachment 256387
A Mercedes yes?
Depending on the year, a double press of the lock button will disable your key, try it and see.
Again, depending on the year, it might a key which disables itself when it senses no movement.
My key does this, but my wife's 2 year old A200 does not, the double press works though.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
Wonder why there's so many stolen in that case.

Not trying to be douchy about golf R, but maybe they blend in as there's quite a few of them, not noticed as much?

Or maybe there's a demand for them, as a car with mass appeal?

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Not trying to be douchy about golf R, but maybe they blend in as there's quite a few of them, not noticed as much?

Or maybe there's a demand for them, as a car with mass appeal?

I doubt they’re still on the road unless it’s in Albania 😅

I guess there’s probably a good market for parts.