Static mk7 Golf R

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
While installing the new rear discs it was brought to my attention that one of my rear springs had broken.
Two new H&R springs were supplied by Blackline,
hard to believe the size of them.

DAFCE001-B264-465B-9A68-5A6DA2D422D0.jpeg

When the car comes back from getting the cage installed I’ll get these rocks put in.

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
Thought I’d do a recap of some of my favourite shows I attended last year.

Dubshed x
First show with my new setup, got fantastic feedback and was worth the stupid amount of prep in the end. Got asked to join Mynt on their stand and really enjoyed the weekend.

CDC8E4A8-2DFC-476E-BDAF-AB31369A9521.jpeg

MLVW
Took a spin to the midlands, was a great show and was really chilled out. I accidentally took half of the gravel into the shed with me. Stubbornness got me dragging the car inside the hall.

2793A33C-86DF-494B-B078-FE1BFBD14587.jpeg

OldSchool NewSchool
Easily the best weather I’ve seen at any show

EBB68CFA-0DB2-4976-9FE1-200B57E6DB3F.jpeg

SoLow
First day out with the BBK less than 24 hours after being installed. reat indoor lighting.

605A1704-9DE6-4EB3-890D-CDCB5AA4584F.jpeg

Titanic Dubs
Best show of the year for me hands down, great laid back atmosphere and everyone was super friendly. Got my first ever trophy shortly followed by my second for top ten cars of the show and best wheels. Was blown away.

C9596A71-3AF7-49F7-96C4-CC938C7813A6.jpeg

B7B9B797-FF05-4C40-8F1D-69345A56872B.jpeg

What shows are the ones to go to this year?Thinking about finally trying to hit England this year.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
What shows to go to this year?Thinking about finally trying to hit England this year.
[/QUOTE]
I might be biased but I hear Dubshed and Titanic Dubs are decent...

If you're hitting England and want to do an big indoor show then do Fitted UK in Manchester. The range of cars that attend is incredible. Alex puts on a brilliant show. Very handy run if you can suffer the Liverpool boat too.

A smaller show but draws some great quality stuff is Cleanfest in Edinburgh.

Finally catching up on your thread. Good to see the progress on it 😁

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
The OZ's won it for me I think, looked perfect. As far as modifying an 'R' though , which some would call sacrilege, I think that's pretty awesome... and I don't do VAG. Great attention to detail too with the fitment of everything!.

michelinman

RMS Regular
Drives
e46
Those brakes look beautiful behind the BBSs, just made for that job. What do they actually feel like to drive on the road? I assume "static" still means your Golf gets used? Sorry, I am an auld fella and my brain still runs on Windows 3.1 :laughing:

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
What shows to go to this year?Thinking about finally trying to hit England this year.

If you're hitting England and want to do an big indoor show then do Fitted UK in Manchester. The range of cars that attend is incredible. Alex puts on a brilliant show. Very handy run if you can suffer the Liverpool boat too.

[/QUOTE]

The panic for Dubshed was on from December I don't need reminded...

Any sign of Castlewellan this year? I've never been able to make it.
Ive heard only good things about fitted I'll definitely look into it.

Ever been to Players Classic? Id love to go but the 500 miles is slightly off putting haha.

Thanks Conor, its a slow burner at this stage.
The MK3 will have to see the light again shortly.

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
The OZ's won it for me I think, looked perfect. As far as modifying an 'R' though , which some would call sacrilege, I think that's pretty awesome... and I don't do VAG. Great attention to detail too with the fitment of everything!.

Thanks for the comments! Focus on the little things and it will all come together in the end. (hopefully)
Its quite a polarising car but that's half the fun of it.

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
Those brakes look beautiful behind the BBSs, just made for that job. What do they actually feel like to drive on the road? I assume "static" still means your Golf gets used? Sorry, I am an auld fella and my brain still runs on Windows 3.1

Id like to say I planed the fitment of the brakes but it was all luck haha, honestly not as night and day as I was expecting. Quite a bit of bite with them but far from unusable.
No worries at all, it usually means the height is fixed as in you can’t raise it up with a switch like air suspension.
As much as id like to get into multi-storey carparks.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34

The panic for Dubshed was on from December I don't need reminded...

Any sign of Castlewellan this year? I've never been able to make it.
Ive heard only good things about fitted I'll definitely look into it.

Ever been to Players Classic? Id love to go but the 500 miles is slightly off putting haha.

Thanks Conor, its a slow burner at this stage.
The MK3 will have to see the light again shortly.
[/QUOTE]

Car looks well, latest wheels definitely suit it great!

Definitelt do Players Classic. Will be my 4th year overall going to it and 3rd in a row. If my chucked together in the home garage e34 can eat up the miles without issue, you'll be fine!

Also Rollhard show in Bicester Heritage is great, and Players in North Weald was also amazing. No idea on Fitted but heard lots of good things.

Ultimate Stance and Cleanfest are also really good.

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
Car looks well, latest wheels definitely suit it great!

Definitelt do Players Classic. Will be my 4th year overall going to it and 3rd in a row. If my chucked together in the home garage e34 can eat up the miles without issue, you'll be fine!

Also Rollhard show in Bicester Heritage is great, and Players in North Weald was also amazing. No idea on Fitted but heard lots of good things.

Ultimate Stance and Cleanfest are also really good.

Thanks allot, yours looked the part at titanic dubs.

Bought the ticket for players just have to decide how i'm getting closer to the time, to be honest id have more faith in your e34 than my car ha.
Players North Weald was the first English show I attended and I've been itching to get back since. I was planning on going last year but just got the Speedlines on the week of the show and they required slight mechanical massaging to fit.

Any word on early edition 38?

Cheers

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
Got my two rears springs installed surprisingly was allot easier than I was expecting, more than likely because they look like they belong in a hotwheels car.

Added something to the car that will polorise opinions further:

Got a custom half cage made to suit the car by Limitless Garage.
Left to the powdercoaters just on the fence with what colour to go.

EFCFE6B8-5810-4382-81AA-019712B5E64F.jpeg

4676D14B-C38F-4A10-8C58-B636578FDC9D.jpeg

Boksic

RMS Regular
Got my two rears springs installed surprisingly was allot easier than I was expecting, more than likely because they look like they belong in a hotwheels car.

View attachment 266951

View attachment 266952

What's the idea of the cage? Are you leaving the seats in for sound deadening or ripping them out?
Definitely wouldn't be for me, removes all practicality of the more doors..
In a 3 door you could maybe argue for it as nobody likes clambering into back seats, but the beauty of a modified 5 door motor is that you can use it as a reasonably practical car too.
The rest of the car seems well done though 👍🏼 love the BBS, and the brakes!

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Love this car from the first time i saw it! Just keeps getting better! seems like a few cars with cages this year at the shows ;)

Shows in the Mainland, Ive attended Fitteduk in Manchester twice now, once as spectator and last year i brought the TT, Said to myself ill leave it a while now and attend other shows, but again applying for the show this year again too! Again Cleanfest in Scotland same as fitteduk attended twice once with car and will be applying this year again too. Definatly tempted by Players Classic this year, always wanted to go, but like you say the miles is off putting, its a big ask!, but done 3 trips across to England & Scotland, last year and drove a constant 4 hours basically with the odd stop for 5mins or so with no issues, so shouldnt be too bad! Im also planing Gravity Show in Stoneleigh seems like a good show also, Id be over everyweekend at shows if i could afford to :joy:

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Thanks allot, yours looked the part at titanic dubs.

Bought the ticket for players just have to decide how i'm getting closer to the time, to be honest id have more faith in your e34 than my car ha.
Players North Weald was the first English show I attended and I've been itching to get back since. I was planning on going last year but just got the Speedlines on the week of the show and they required slight mechanical massaging to fit.

Any word on early edition 38?

Cheers

Cheers!

No idea about early edition tbh.

Boats should be managable. Liverpool one is likely to be the most hassle for you as theres a big ramp on the boat. Tbh i prefer the drive down from Scotland and back up than going through Wales.

Last year I did Players Classic, Rollhard, Players in North Weald and Cleanfest.

Players Classic, Cleanfest and Ultimate Stance the year before.

Only time I've ever thought the mileage was too much really was when the Rollhard show at Cressing Temple in Essex in 2017 which i did in one run, i.e. ferry to Scotland late on the night before, drive the whole way down, do the show and then head straight back, that was tough :joy:

Half cage wouldnt be for me, but end of the day as long as you like it thats the main thing. Looks well put together anyway!

Toeman

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf gti pp

View attachment 266951

View attachment 266952
Can I ask what the cage is for is it just for the shows

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
What's the idea of the cage? Are you leaving the seats in for sound deadening or ripping them out?
Definitely wouldn't be for me, removes all practicality of the more doors..
In a 3 door you could maybe argue for it as nobody likes clambering into back seats, but the beauty of a modified 5 door motor is that you can use it as a reasonably practical car too.
The rest of the car seems well done though 👍🏼 love the BBS, and the brakes!

Just a bolt in show cage, seats are being removed this was just a test fit.

I don’t think anyone has looked at my car and thought “practical”. Cheers for the feedback.

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
Love this car from the first time i saw it! Just keeps getting better! seems like a few cars with cages this year at the shows ;)

Shows in the Mainland, Ive attended Fitteduk in Manchester twice now, once as spectator and last year i brought the TT, Said to myself ill leave it a while now and attend other shows, but again applying for the show this year again too! Again Cleanfest in Scotland same as fitteduk attended twice once with car and will be applying this year again too. Definatly tempted by Players Classic this year, always wanted to go, but like you say the miles is off putting, its a big ask!, but done 3 trips across to England & Scotland, last year and drove a constant 4 hours basically with the odd stop for 5mins or so with no issues, so shouldnt be too bad! Im also planing Gravity Show in Stoneleigh seems like a good show also, Id be over everyweekend at shows if i could afford to :joy:

Cheers man, was really good chatting to you at titanic dubs last year.

Cage was the next logical step for this broken thing, I’m quickly running out of things to do.
You are well travelled!
I’m going to have to apply for fitted and clean fest to see what happens. Players classic is shaping up to be the mainland show not to miss though.

I’ve had a few dodgy driving trips like that through work, I very much know the feeling haha.

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
Cheers!

No idea about early edition tbh.

Boats should be managable. Liverpool one is likely to be the most hassle for you as theres a big ramp on the boat. Tbh i prefer the drive down from Scotland and back up than going through Wales.

Last year I did Players Classic, Rollhard, Players in North Weald and Cleanfest.

Players Classic, Cleanfest and Ultimate Stance the year before.

Only time I've ever thought the mileage was too much really was when the Rollhard show at Cressing Temple in Essex in 2017 which i did in one run, i.e. ferry to Scotland late on the night before, drive the whole way down, do the show and then head straight back, that was tough :joy:

Half cage wouldnt be for me, but end of the day as long as you like it thats the main thing. Looks well put together anyway!

See this is the information I need 😂 I need to know the static friendly boats.

I have only gone through Wales for work so that’s the only first hand experience I have with it, the twisty seaside tunnels after the docks need loud petrol noises. I’d be happy to go home again after a few passes hah.

I seen your car at cleanfest last year too, seems like a really chilled out show. I’m a big fan of the night boat, great for a power nap, few red bulls and the entire day driving.

Cheers, it’s not to everyone’s taste. It’s very sturdy allot more welds compared to the off the shelf roll cage you can get.

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
Lastnight a few friends and I attacked the car.
Brake callipers off to get sent to Brake Calliper Referb for a full strip down, test and a colour change. Looking forward to see how they come back as their finishes look amazing.
Fresh set of pads ordered.

Discs off to get a light skim to sort out the minor disc vibration I’m getting under braking

Struts out and cleaned. Topmounts sorted disassembled to resolve the pinging noise I have been getting from a sticky camber bearing.

All for the 9th of March deadline to get the car off to paint.

Always a last minute rush for Dubshed.

Also unfortunately ordered my fifth splitter this week. The joys.

79D9965E-023A-4ADD-80ED-5336CA46ABEE.jpeg

C773E526-C62E-4182-A297-0E3FBA741303.jpeg

4B125612-CBE7-4FCC-A99D-90D5DCBAA058.jpeg

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
Current progress is worse than before 😂

Left my bonnet and bumper off to paint and still waiting on parts to come back.

3D7BD9DC-C0D2-4F69-B229-F1AD86EFB927.jpeg

But in other news my cage come back from Pro Powdercoating and it’s bright.

65847D91-3AF7-4285-9CFA-E6D5C9ED9340.jpeg

018DAD6C-44E9-4251-A846-A145F84D02E2.jpeg

Will need to start paint correction soon so it’s not a mad dash at the end of March as usual.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Mad dashes are the most fun sure lol

The cage looks well. The yellow is a good contrast

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
Mad dashes are the most fun sure lol

The cage looks well. The yellow is a good contrast

I could definitely do without the mad dash 😂

Cheers, wasn’t sure but I think it’s ok? The calipers are going the same colour so should pull it all together.