Subaru Impreza STI 330s

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
The 18's that were on my S3 are over 10kg where as the 19's are 9.7kg making them one of the lightest OEM 19's about.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
I've taken a shine to these lately, what're the chances it's going to break my heart?

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
I've taken a shine to these lately, what're the chances it's going to break my heart?

Given they are now over 10yr old most will have already broken someone's heart previously so just buy one with a good history....piston issues are well documented, that's all you need to worry about when buying one over and above the usual checks on any car

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
there's a couple of '09 WRX's for sale with around 70k miles, they're both around £5-6000. I'll start hoking about the forums and see whats said about them. Cheers

Last edited:

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
I had to edit that there, went back and checked and they were both 09 models, if that makes any difference. I just have memories of a mate putting 2 engines in his blobeye.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
SubaruLegacy
I had to edit that there, went back and checked and they were both 09 models, if that makes any difference. I just have memories of a mate putting 2 engines in his blobeye.

I had a Prodrive WRX a few years ago, and although running well it did have some gasses in the coolant (Which someone did say was 'normal' for Subaru engines but can't see how). Freaked me out and I sold it on.

A mate who is really into his Subaru Legacys has replaced or rebuilt the engine in every one he has owned.

But still... despite that... I'd love another. By far the best all round car I have ever owned and I often find myself on the classifieds looking at them again. They do everything so well.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Ive owned 5 to date (4 classics and a blob all EJ20 engines) and never once had an engine issue or had to rebuild any of them. Look after them with regular oil changes and have them mapped for our fuel with knock control and without just whacking the boost up and they serve you well.

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
theyre fine also. there was a very small batch at very start of US production that had rod bearing issues but they all went within a few 1000 mile from new and all repaired under warranty. as long as it has reputable history you should be grand for well into high 100's on mileage on them

WRX 2.5 does not suffer the same issues as 2.5 STI engines - theyre 2 different engines

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
Eventually got round to fitting the new wheels. Quite pleased how they look

20221113_143313.jpg
20221113_145631.jpg
20221113_145648.jpg
20221113_145731.jpg

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
Next piece of the puzzle, picked up a set of Eibach anti roll bars for it. So will get them tidied up, new bushes, links etc and fitted in new year

Dropped eibach an email for the bar settings/rates compared to std

Factory bars

Front = 285 lbs/in
Rear = 185 lbs/in

Eibach Bars (2 settings)

Front = 468-531 lbs/in
Rear = 331-432 lbs/in

Should help tighten it up that bit more again

20221215_183351.jpg

20221215_183402.jpg

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
Finally got the car up to OMA for its slot, and now got it back, its feeling as tight as a nats chuff :grinning:

✅ Oil service
✅ Eibach ARB's fitted - got them powdercoated and then new SuperPro bushes
✅ Whiteline rear ARB braces fitted
✅ STI Group N front arm supports
✅ STI Group N engine mounts
✅ Snag list items - had a rattle or two for him to find/address

not much to see! but just look for new black bits
Front.jpg

rear.jpg

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
Finally got the car up to OMA for its slot, and now got it back, its feeling as tight as a nats chuff :grinning:

✅ Oil service
✅ Eibach ARB's fitted - got them powdercoated and then new SuperPro bushes
✅ Whiteline rear ARB braces fitted
✅ STI Group N front arm supports
✅ STI Group N engine mounts
✅ Snag list items - had a rattle or two for him to find/address

not much to see! but just look for new black bits
View attachment 398274
View attachment 398275
I think between you pair @CharlySkunkWeed Michael is able to go on an extra annual holiday abroad 🤑

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Bludgod (Peter Simmons) would be your man for mapping,
Aye that’s what I’d been told by 2 others, 4-5 months.