Super Unleaded 99 Ron Launch

leek9

RMS Regular
Drives
GTR FD2R SiR
Guys what nozzle are you using on your drums to get it into the car?
i use a syphon pipe out of Halfords, the laser one, great job, uses a small marble as a one way valve, only downside is the drum needs to be lifted up above the tank level to get enough head to syphon, i use the wheelie bin lol
When filling the car a few days ago I also got a fill for the lawnmower. I shook up and then poured the contents of the jerry can of 99RON into a clear jar and left it to sit last night, there was no evidence of any residuce in the fuel at all.
that's great to hear, i made the owners aware of the silt issue via email, so he may have made some changes but i got no reply at the time.

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
i use a syphon pipe out of Halfords, the laser one, great job, uses a small marble as a one way valve, only downside is the drum needs to be lifted up above the tank level to get enough head to syphon, i use the wheelie bin lol

that's great to hear, i made the owners aware of the silt issue via email, so he may have made some changes but i got no reply at the time.
I've been using these for years

I use rechargeable AA batteries and it's brilliant. Use it for draining fuel tanks on cars, filling from jerry cans for both petrol and diesel.

With good batteries it will empty a 20 litre can in under 3 minutes and it has a safety lock based on vacume so it won't keep filling into a car if full.

Very handy tbh.

saxo_man

RMS Regular

I've been using it since spring this year, when did you first get the red algae? I'm debating whether or not to check the tank.

leek9

RMS Regular
Drives
GTR FD2R SiR
I've been using these for years

I use rechargeable AA batteries and it's brilliant. Use it for draining fuel tanks on cars, filling from jerry cans for both petrol and diesel.

With good batteries it will empty a 20 litre can in under 3 minutes and it has a safety lock based on vacume so it won't keep filling into a car if full.

Very handy tbh.
Yes i have the laser version of that too, although its quite leaky, i used it for kerosene
I've been using it since spring this year, when did you first get the red algae? I'm debating whether or not to check the tank.
Feb 28th was when i started buying there, that was when i got the algae, Silt was at the end of April.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Yes i have the laser version of that too, although its quite leaky, i used it for kerosene

Feb 28th was when i started buying there, that was when i got the algae, Silt was at the end of April.
I had my first fill on the 31st March. Need to check my receipts but probably only two more fills since then, including the one this week.

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!

Have to admit I've had mine 4 years now and doesn't leak at all.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
On my 7th fill up and been running my 99/100 map with no issues however................

Just had a fuel regulator fault on my car this morning, unsure if its related BUTTTTTT when filling up yesterday at the pump closest to the store, I realised it was taking FOREVER to fill. I stopped at 20L (probably 10 mins) as the pump was pulsing and going very slowly.

I reported it to the store clerk who quickly told me that they are not their pumps (which I knew). She said the main tank might be low 🤷‍♂️ but couldn't tell me if the other 99 had a separate pump or not. Since she said the main tank might be low, I am now worried I may have crap again in my tank (previous history of this!).

@arnbeckett I am not sure if you have anything to do with Comber but the pump seemed faulty to me and tbh the girl didn't seem to care

Following up from this from previous page and this incident nearly a month ago, I finally got the car seen too after driving it basically limp mode the last 30 days with zero to no boost and if it crept on boost, the car with splutter and jerk.

Low pressure pump removed from the tank, this filter should be white'ish

1688547139968.png

This is the bottom of the pump housing which is set inside the tank - see sediment

1688547185314.png

And inside the tank itself

1688547206852.png

Fortunately after changing the filter, cleaning the housing and tank, the requested fuel pressures are being met and the car is boosting as normal. I will hopefully pick the car up later this evening and take a few days to confirm everything is ok.

I emailed Solo this morning about the findings, not looking to be reimbursed or compensated, just to bring it to their attention, up to them if they want to acknowledge or take on board or action the findings.

Bring on the next potential disaster ffs :joy:

purplea4T

RMS Regular
I've been running it since it was introduced from the filling station in Bangor, I've never had a problem - not a cough, splutter or misfire.
I'm on 2 full fills of 60 litres each time a month and when the vRS was on the road it was a fill a month, so maybe 160/170 litres a month so a decent sample I'd say.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I've been running it since it was introduced from the filling station in Bangor, I've never had a problem - not a cough, splutter or misfire.
I'm on 2 full fills of 60 litres each time a month and when the vRS was on the road it was a fill a month, so maybe 160/170 litres a month so a decent sample I'd say.

This was my 8th fill and no issues up to that point so say 385L - just unfortunate and unlucky I guess and could happen at any garage. Just so happened to be Comber Solo

However, I will not be using Comber from now on as the history is there and no way for me to know if the pump/filter has been serviced nor the level of the tank - but again, could be said for all other garages :worried:

Chris100

RMS Regular
I have found these days that the cost variance between normal super unleaded and BP ultimate is negligible. So my car tends to be filled up exclusively at a BP station.

I have always be dubious about these smaller stations, but as you say. It could happen anywhere.

RevT

RMS Regular
I’ve used the Solo stuff the past 3-4 fills in Ballymoney and it’s been fine.

Glad you got sorted though and hopefully doesn’t happen again.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
SubaruLegacy
Thanks for sharing the findings @Boydie. I'll be avoiding Comber too and sticking to BP 97 I think, or if I'm treating it to 99 I'll use a newer station with fresher tanks

riano

RMS Regular
Drives
C63s coupe
Thanks for sharing the findings @Boydie. I'll be avoiding Comber too and sticking to BP 97 I think, or if I'm treating it to 99 I'll use a newer station with fresher tanks
Yeah think I'll be avoiding too and going back to using Texaco :neutral:

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I used comber for the first time about 2 weeks ago, only put £20 in though, I’ll be going back to BP SUL at brackenvale, that’s not worth the risk after seeing those pics above.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Picked the car up last night, boosted perfectly going up the carriageway out of Ards but then did splutter/hesitate when cruising at 70mph in D6 when I accelerated. Same thing this morning over 25 odd miles to work but less frequent. Its def an improvement but still not 100% fixed. I have another spare filter to change probably in a few weeks or sooner, next thing to look at would be injectors :worried:

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Does it only do it in 6th from lower revs? Could it anything else like plugs or coil pack with those symptoms.

What engine management have you? Would it be possible to run a few data logs and let the mapper look at it

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Does it only do it in 6th from lower revs? Could it anything else like plugs or coil pack with those symptoms.

What engine management have you? Would it be possible to run a few data logs and let the mapper look at it

I am too nervous to fully boost it in dynamic (S Mode) but it does seem to be occur most when in D6, cruise control around 70/75mph and going up a hill so the car is boosting itself to maintain the speed - its ok if I do it all manually but just shows there is still an issue.

Coil packs are relatively new, as are the plugs. It doesn't feel like a misfire, more like a choke and no faults are coming up on OBD11 - as I said, both fuel pumps are getting their requested fuel pressures so next thing in line is injectors?? Spray pattern could be off? I don't know, its now beyond my knowledge

Logs were taken and all looks good.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
I only use BP or Texaco for all our cars, have heard too many horror stories from mechanics that see peoples fuel filters in a mess.

Have been told by a tanker driver that the same lorry fills Texaco and Asda (in Ards) so fuel is the same. Never been to Asda though :joy:

AC

RMS Regular
This certainly seems to knock confidence on the use of the Solo stuff, especially from Comber but not all garages will be the same.

Strangely enough I have half a tank of the Comber Solo stuff in the Clio (having run a few tanks through already on track days with no adverse effects) at the moment and it's started flashing the engine management light on when sitting idle, which indicates something related to plugs, HT leads or injectors. Given the HT leads are fairly new and the plugs only have a few thousand on them, I'll be pulling the injectors and replacing them over the next few weeks. Might pull the fuel filter/tank cap out and have a nosey - might be unrelated but who knows, it is French after all.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
This certainly seems to knock confidence on the use of the Solo stuff, especially from Comber but not all garages will be the same.

Strangely enough I have half a tank of the Comber Solo stuff in the Clio (having run a few tanks through already on track days with no adverse effects) at the moment and it's started flashing the engine management light on when sitting idle, which indicates something related to plugs, HT leads or injectors. Given the HT leads are fairly new and the plugs only have a few thousand on them, I'll be pulling the injectors and replacing them over the next few weeks. Might pull the fuel filter/tank cap out and have a nosey - might be unrelated but who knows, it is French after all.

Document it if you do and update this thread - not on a witch hunt at all but good to keep the evidence

So far, no response from Solo regarding my email

Gambit

RMS Regular
I am too nervous to fully boost it in dynamic (S Mode) but it does seem to be occur most when in D6, cruise control around 70/75mph and going up a hill so the car is boosting itself to maintain the speed - its ok if I do it all manually but just shows there is still an issue.

Coil packs are relatively new, as are the plugs. It doesn't feel like a misfire, more like a choke and no faults are coming up on OBD11 - as I said, both fuel pumps are getting their requested fuel pressures so next thing in line is injectors?? Spray pattern could be off? I don't know, its now beyond my knowledge

Logs were taken and all looks good.
are you still running the 99RON map?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
are you still running the 99RON map?

No its back down to 97 but since you mention it, I need to double check. Its def not on the 99 map

I have 3:
  1. Performance A (95)
  2. Performance B (97/98)
  3. Performance C (99/100+)