Suzuki Swift Sport ZC31 Track Whip

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Can’t get the 1144’s for these. That’s what I ran on the MX5 for years and was first thing I went to get for this.

EBC do red stuff pads (I think it’s red stuff) but remember there used to be problems with the EBC pads years ago.

Gambit

RMS Regular

MarkM

RMS Regular
Cl rc5+ pads? What all subaru/evos run and noticed they do a pad for swift, pricey though

Worst pads I ever used, harsh, noisey and left bits of molten crud down the side of the car, avoid! RC6 are also poor. DS1.11 are just epic track pads

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Managed a set of pads in one day today. Hoping to get CL brakes sorted for next year. Other than that went like a champ all day. That’s it for this season!

CB4B04DC-9514-484C-9579-CB65CF6DA6B2.jpeg

Dieseldes

RMS Regular
Good chatting to you today. I can recommend the CL rc6. Very good. I tried the PBS race pads today and had to take them out and refit the worn CL pads. Nothing like the stopping power, and so inconsistent.

If going ebc they do some proper race pads now. Rc1. Get good reviews.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
CL RC8 pads and EBC slotted discs on the way. Hopefully that'll do me the full year next year lol

Dieseldes

RMS Regular
CL RC8 pads and EBC slotted discs on the way. Hopefully that'll do me the full year next year lol
Rc8! They are very high friction and don't have great modulation on a car with a servo. You could disconnect and block the vacume hose I guess if they have too much bite. But great pad. Awesome stopping power. Rc6 or rc6e would have done though.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Can’t get the 1144’s for these. That’s what I ran on the MX5 for years and was first thing I went to get for this.

EBC do red stuff pads (I think it’s red stuff) but remember there used to be problems with the EBC pads years ago.
I put a set of EBC Green stuff in my weekend car and within a couple of hundred miles of mild road use there were lumps out of them

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yellow stuff appear to be a bit better but never had good experience with green stuff.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Hard to know what relates to experience years ago when they were bad or now when they’re supposed to be a bit better.

I’ve avoided them because they seem to be a bit hit or miss. I’ve ordered EBC discs but mainly because they appeared to be the most expensive option available.

More expensive means more good, right? Lol

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Hard to know what relates to experience years ago when they were bad or now when they’re supposed to be a bit better.

I’ve avoided them because they seem to be a bit hit or miss. I’ve ordered EBC discs but mainly because they appeared to be the most expensive option available.

Straight out of an episode of High/Low

DJMCA

RMS Regular

I had the bother with my pads last year lol

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155

Since its coming up to Christmas, I have some magic beans here, but they are quite expensive...... ;)

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Since its coming up to Christmas, I have some magic beans here, but they are quite expensive...... ;)

Who told you they were magic? I might have some bad news for you….

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I’ve genuinely no idea how to pick out good or average discs.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I've used lots of different types, drilled, slotted both but I find them too harsh on pads and the holes clog up with pad material in no time giving an uneven surface. I tend to use standard plain discs now and get good quality pads.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
The rears are getting used alright just not to the same extent. They’re about 20% worn after 4 track days. So like 1/10th the fronts lol. According to others that track them that’s fairly normal though.

Will see if I can get DS2500 pads. Problem was I couldn’t get any decent pads when I was getting the car ready and have stuck with this ‘black diamond’ brand because although they wear like frig, they’re good. Can’t be throwing new discs and pads into it every other track day though. It’s a little bit spendy.

Truth be told I was for leaving the car sitting till next year which would give me time to research and look about until I caught a few posts in the mental health thread about folk losing their dads and realised I’ve never taken the auld boy out a skelp so it’s a little bit last minute here getting it organised!

I might look into brake bias valves too. I’m not even sure what way these are set up in that regard tbh.
I took the stock one out of my saxo and plumbed straight through. Was good fun on a targa stage but plain dangerous on the road. Replaced it with an adjustable and you just turn the adjuster til to find the balance you want. There were two types, triton and something else. I was told which one to get and naturally went for the other one. Which one I actually have I can’t remember but it’s “ok”.

mark_l

RMS Member
Drives
Suzuki Swift
Glad to find this thread and live vicariously through it as I have the same car in the same colour but from 2007 but none of the wrenching skills!

I've yet to take mine on track and my biggest worry in doing so are the pedals. I find it impossible to heel & toe with the brake pedal being much too low :worried: Have you made any changes here?

Any must do things before a track day with it? So far I have front camber bolts on order.

Also, have you got any driving tips? As standard, it definitely seems to need be to stood right on its nose to get it turned in without then hitting understeer. I'm also coming from an mx5 (RIP, it rusted to death) and if I drove that this way it would be an insta-spin.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Have been fine with the heel toe to be honest. Haven’t noticed a lower brake pedal but maybe not such a big deal with size 10 feet.

Should be fine to track it as-is provided it’s in good order. If I was to pick one single change it would be wheels and tyres because the tyre choice on the original rims is pretty limited and the wheels are pretty heavy.

Unfortunately I went from no mods to lots with no testing in between so I don’t actually know what’s been best bang for buck.

Mine understeers on the throttle now but is well balanced off it. Was thinking the other day I should soften the front end up a touch to see if that helps with the throttle understeer (or maybe try to learn to drive properly)

On the track it’s quicker and more composed than the mx5’s. They really are great craic, cheap and reliable. I’m surprised there’s not loads of them.

Gambit

RMS Regular
Mine understeers on the throttle now but is well balanced off it. Was thinking the other day I should soften the front end up a touch to see if that helps with the throttle understeer (or maybe try to learn to drive properly)
Can you get an uprated rear anti roll bar for them? Might help balance it out

mark_l

RMS Member
Drives
Suzuki Swift
Have been fine with the heel toe to be honest. Haven’t noticed a lower brake pedal but maybe not such a big deal with size 10 feet.

Should be fine to track it as-is provided it’s in good order. If I was to pick one single change it would be wheels and tyres because the tyre choice on the original rims is pretty limited and the wheels are pretty heavy.

Unfortunately I went from no mods to lots with no testing in between so I don’t actually know what’s been best bang for buck.

On the track it’s quicker and more composed than the mx5’s. They really are great craic, cheap and reliable. I’m surprised there’s not loads of them.

Thanks, that gives me some confidence taking on track stock. Japcrap seems to do pretty well with track abuse anyway.

I've just got the camber bolts fitted and it makes quite a difference. Where it would start to understeer before, now the front tyres bite much better.

I've put 205/45R17 size tyres on it based on recommendations due to availability problems in the normal size and it works fine. I'd prefer smaller wheels though, on rough road surfaces grip disappears pretty quickly and I think more sidewall would help.