Suzuki Swift Sport ZC31 Track Whip

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Few bits done over past few weeks.

Full stainless single exit exhaust courtesy of Ricks. Not mega loud just wanted something simple and robust. Fitted a K brace from empire motorsport, first in NI apparently:

IMG_4232.jpg

Also got new rear brakes in as well as a set of Greddy rear camber plates.

IMG_4221.jpg

Quick clean and ready for trackskills on Sunday

IMG_4227.jpg

Marc.W

RMS Regular
Drives
Lupo GTI
Knew you looked familiar on Sunday "I swear I know him", smart looking wee thing, always liked this shape

Marc.W

RMS Regular
Drives
Lupo GTI
First thing I said when I saw it "that'll be an interesting one against the Lupo" haha

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Yeah very similar round the corners but you were edging away slowly on the straights. Great days craic. I'll have to get out closer behind you for the next one whenever that is... would be good fun!

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Another oil & filter change ahead of a trip to Mondello. Also pulled the rear bench out... because track car.

IMG_4626.jpg

IMG_4630.jpg

Needs new brakes fitted and should be ready to rock.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Figured the brakes were feeling a bit grindy (technical term) on the last lap.

Looked a bit frazzled but otherwise okish. Figured I’d take them off to check.

98A87995-6852-4B86-9FC5-96A94BF05187.jpeg

Ah yes that would probably be it

9EE283FA-8FD7-458F-9383-74286A802006.jpeg
90698694-E3E5-4C5A-A906-9B8608F431E2.jpeg

Fitted

2FE5CF0B-9A78-488B-AFCF-69D826D11DE9.jpeg

And ready for the next track day.

1B34ED0D-3E33-40FE-9E2A-405A2307CA9B.jpeg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Kirkistown is hard on brakes for sure. I always carried an extra set of pads when there. Those do look particularly frigged though! :eek:

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
e60 320d
I wonder was that inside piston a little sticky causing the extra wear on the inside pad.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Kirkistown is hard on brakes for sure. I always carried an extra set of pads when there. Those do look particularly frigged

That was only two track days worth too. The pads are brilliant but obviously not very hard wearing. Forgivable at the price point though. Could do without them chewing discs every other change, so will have to pay attention better next time.

I was using the lightness of the car as much as possible so where others were braking I was still on the throttle for 2 or 3 more car lengths before absolutely hammering the brakes. Maybe should be less of a hallion with it!

I wonder was that inside piston a little sticky causing the extra wear on the inside pad.

Only is one piston on them and both sliders are free moving. The outer pad had 1/2 or so left though. Open to ideas on what it could be.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
e60 320d
Piston pushing on the inside pad? It's maybe just harder on the inside pads was pads on the other calliper the same? Or maybe the sliders were sticking a little when there was a lot of heat in the brakes.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Yeah other side was the same though not just as bad.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
The slider pins or the bore of the fixed section of the caliper may be a bit worn and then jamming as they move/bend a bit when you are braking hard. Had that issue before, new pins may help. I'm pretty hard on brakes too but not seen that level of wear on many of my abused cars. Just wondering if the bias valve on the rear isn't making the rears work as hard and you are getting the fronts doing way more work than they should need to. Worth a check.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Two lower pins came out with a blowtorch when the pads went in a few months ago. They were knackered. I cleaned them up and greased them and they seemed dead on there today, but I’ll get them changed for the 2022 season. There’s no way to see how things are operating when roasting hot so that could be it.

The rear brakes on these do very little apparently. I’ll have to check where the load bias valve is and adjust it. Haven’t done anything with it which would mean that if anything it would be biased more rearward after the suspension went in. Assuming it’s working of course lol

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
The 155 bias valves seize up quite easily, it's pulled by a spring attached to the ARB and the spring wears through the brackets. I've had to weld repair the brackets to get the spring to pull on the bias valve as the adjustment doesn't take up the wear.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
A great big dirty set of APs and massive discs will sort that :cool:.

Seriously though, may some extra cooling will help too? Even cut off the stone guards, if you haven't already?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Think it’s more the pads and discs than cooling. Though over winter I’ll pull the fog lights out and do something. Never really had any bother before with standard discs and track day pads. Maybe it’s these pads are just too much.

I’ve been recommended rottinger discs but they’re only like £70 odd a set so don’t think they’ll be any use really.

Big brake kit needs 17’s back on and is £1650 so an unlikely option at this stage lol

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
What do the rears look like? I'd be looking at the balance of them before thinking about bigger brakes tbh.
I had very similar issues with the 155 when I was using it for trackdays and it was a combination of sticky sliders and partially seized balance valve on the rear axle. Also had the same sort of issue on the MX5 on my first Targa rally with it, crap rear brakes meant the fronts were locking up everywhere.

MarkM

RMS Regular
Regarding cooling, I tried vents and ducts with the Clio but pulling the fog panels, fitting mesh behind, then removing the plastic arch liners completely was the best thing by far

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
What do the rears look like? I'd be looking at the balance of them before thinking about bigger brakes tbh.
I had very similar issues with the 155 when I was using it for trackdays and it was a combination of sticky sliders and partially seized balance valve on the rear axle. Also had the same sort of issue on the MX5 on my first Targa rally with it, crap rear brakes meant the fronts were locking up everywhere.

The rears are getting used alright just not to the same extent. They’re about 20% worn after 4 track days. So like 1/10th the fronts lol. According to others that track them that’s fairly normal though.

Will see if I can get DS2500 pads. Problem was I couldn’t get any decent pads when I was getting the car ready and have stuck with this ‘black diamond’ brand because although they wear like frig, they’re good. Can’t be throwing new discs and pads into it every other track day though. It’s a little bit spendy.

Truth be told I was for leaving the car sitting till next year which would give me time to research and look about until I caught a few posts in the mental health thread about folk losing their dads and realised I’ve never taken the auld boy out a skelp so it’s a little bit last minute here getting it organised!

I might look into brake bias valves too. I’m not even sure what way these are set up in that regard tbh.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
DS2500 pads are sore as hell on discs, Mintex 1144's are much better from cold and are almost as fade resistant I've found. Usually, the standard bias valves have some sort of adjustment on whatever arm they use to connect to the suspension or a spring that can be shortened etc. Worth a rattle.

Good idea getting the old fella out, one of my best memories of my dad was taking him out for a scelp in the Maestro, he loved the sound of the twin 40's at full noise, he was giggling like a child. :heart_eyes: