The 'all Things Porsche' Thread...

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
Porsche brains..............

my latest personal torture is to look at the potential of selling my caterham.... moving on my 997.2 C2 and potentially going for one more special toy...... 997.2 is a perfect first pork, love the look & size.... can carry the kids in the back (albeit it becomes as tiring for me as it does them!) so thinking of the poetntial of 2 seats.

997GT3 70K up in reality.... for sure a safe bet in every way, albeit interior woudl feel old compared to my .2 and a 997.2 GT3 is getting steep
GT4 (918) 60K up... lovely looking cars, nice interior.. unsure where values go, but wouldn't be too bothered.. just not the real GT noise i guess - but under the skin look great
991 GT3 80K up... and the .1 engine 'thing' i cant see being worth the punt ? i dont like paying a warranty.. and outside a proper POrsche warranty, i doubt any other warranty will either take them on - or be meaningful after the 10 year good will ? a 991.2 is getting insane money.. i guess 997 GT3 plus 50K..

left field 991.x GTS which are lovely............ 981 spyder.... definitely different... albeit neither maybe as 'special' as a GT car.

i didn't actually see me selling the 997.2, but it was more the thought of lack of using the caterham.... and likely less and less use of 997.2 with kids.

i could see a $$ path into 997 GT3, 991 GT3 would be getting squeaky, could always move on some motorbikes etc... as i'm not sure i'd use them much with a special GT car.............

991 GTS would be hard to go past for a do it all 911, or a Carrera T.

The chap I dealt with at Ashgood told me his favourite all rounder was a 991.2 GTS PDK.

GT3 is still the one I yearn for though, but if any sort of practicality is required then a GTS or Carrera T would be my next consideration.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
thanks guys.....

@coffeekid thats a pretty good blend of toys - full on open top with caterham.... and relaitvely sensible (roof) mid engine fun.... nice work !!

@AndyOz i think heart is on manual.... my 997.2 is a PDK, and whilst its great - and i got the wheel with proper paddles etc (essential!!!) i still woudl consider a PDK - to be fiar if the 991.1 GT3 didn't have the grey cloud looming over it... likely woudl stretch to one.... but they are in that phase that keeping one for a couple of years is right towards the end of the 10 year warranty Porsche are providing which could made resale interesting.

@Woodcutter i actually pinged Tom about the 997 GT3 they had in last week (or week before) another trader bought it (its now up at 77K he said his choice woudl be the 991 GT3 over it.... clean choice as they have a 991 GT3 !!

a spyder is a great alternative.. and the GTS as mentioned, but i fear that a few months later i'd be like.... why didn't i just get the GT thing done !!!

has anyone read anything credible about the 991.1 GT3 engine 'issue' i get things can/will go wrong... but to buy a car at that $$ with that looming over it... would be a bit of a gamble, especially given we are within ~2 ish years from the 10 year promise...

AndyOz

RMS Regular
Drives
996.1 GT3 CS
If your heart is set on manual maybe trust that and discount the 991.1 GT3.

Did you see the moon miles 997.1 GT3 that sold on CC. Owner just posted a picture of the dash on Pistonhead showing 172k miles now and confirmed no internal engine work has ever been done.

If it was me, I'd be looking for a higher than normal miles 997.1 or .2 that has been used but overserviced. Leave the low milers for the cork sniffers and enjoy the car.
The laugh I find is many owners go on about how bulletproof the Mezger is and then proceed to NOT drive the things...

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Having had plenty of seat time in a GT4 and a GT3, the GT4 isn’t far off the experience. The only thing I didn’t like with a GT4 on the road is the gearing, it’s way too long!

The gearbox is so good you want to make use of it but on the road you are up shifting early most of the time, does something g like 75/80 in 2nd lol

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
I think I’d have to discount the 991 based as much/ ore on the engine worry anyway. And 120k for a 991.2 is just a step (leap) too far.

that leggy 997 was owned by someone I know... albeit not well! Raced in a couple of radical meetings in 2009 with him, and bought my Caterham off his mate... I saw his GT3 sitting.... and couldn’t believe he used it for commuting... I did t realise the miles were quite as sky high!

mate the actual gearbox ratios ok? And it’s the diff? Are there off the shelf CWP kits to sort it? I read or watched a video saying the drop in revs per change is only something like 1k / if that’s even close to correct... surely final drive change would help? The gearing keeps getting mentioned, I guess it doesn’t ‘tingle’ like a GT3 engine... but it’s still a heck of a car!

dont think I’ve ever saw anyone sprint or hill any pork - other than a guy that used to regularly compete in a silver air cooled? Car.... I know the beards would lose the plot, but without going to Spa, I’d likely rather turn up for a laugh and do a sprint or hill in one rather than track days at kirky/mondello...

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
mate the actual gearbox ratios ok? And it’s the diff? Are there off the shelf CWP kits to sort it? I read or watched a video saying the drop in revs per change is only something like 1k / if that’s even close to correct... surely final drive change would help? The gearing keeps getting mentioned, I guess it doesn’t ‘tingle’ like a GT3 engine... but it’s still a heck of a car!
It's ridiculous gearing, lol. Still a brilliant engine, and that's the real selling point. But you want to let it sing. Guess it's the usual efficiency and emissions lark spoiling it.

A different final drive would help I'm sure. Was looking around briefly last year, only found one or two options in America. No idea if they're any good. Didn't look terribly hard to be honest. The race boys go sequential.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
I came across a solution for new CWP but was 9k turn key... which just sounds daft... unsure if there are more sensible costs for it.

991.1 gt3 would be interesting what the craic will be with extending beyond 10 years... Porsche are only standing over the engine for the 10 years (fair enough) but I wonder at the end of the 10 years can you just do an extended warranty on the engine... and what rough £ it would be.....

The 997.2 GT3 are fetching crazy money, and whilst o love the size/shape of my own 997, would feel slightly cheated spending > double it... for older interior etc.

I assume the 981 spyder gearing is not as crazy as the GT4?

it_carwasher

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche
I was in a similar situation to yourself, but my focus changing was slightly different. Currently have a Caterham and a 981 Boxster and was looking at my options. Looked at 991 GTS, 981 GT4 & 718 GT4. In the end decided to keep the Caterham, sell the Boxster and have ordered a new Cayman GTS 4.0. Time will tell if I have went the right direction, but for my usage I reckon they are a good combination.

Great, when will delivery be? Colour? PDK?

Hopefully see it when this madness ends......

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
@gixermark There were 5 981 GT4s on the Euro road trip I did. Chasing them up and down mountain passes made me realise, at some point, I need one of them!

The noise and experience is every bit a GT car. The manuals auto blip when going down the gears and sound unreal!

Though as you say, a 997 GT3 is much the same price, so depends what you want really.

I've always dreamt of a 991.2 GT3, but I think along the way a 981 GT4 itch will be scratched!

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
just to clarify when i said spending double (relating to 997) i meant spending double my car to get into a 997.1 GT3 given the older tech/interior............ albeit in reality the screen etc is not that relevant - esp on a GT car !

@gav525 given you've probably been looking at these longer than me.... how do you see the pricing on GT4 at the moment ? mid 60s is pretty much were they are sitting give or take... so similar... maybe 5-10K behind a 997.1 GT3

i'm starting to feel a GT4 or nice 997.1GT3 is a sweet spot for a couple of years and see what prices do on 991.2 GT3

@Martyn that must have come in recently ? as i only just looked the other day to see what Belfast had in........ its arguably a pretty basic spec, but with 3K miles and OPC is probably a great buy compared to most 991.1 out there... unsure what engine variant that would have been being a 2015 but at least will be one of the 'better' variants......... plus with the 10 year blessing... unlike most of the 991.1 out there for sale (2013) this gets you to 2025 worry free.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
just to clarify when i said spending double (relating to 997) i meant spending double my car to get into a 997.1 GT3 given the older tech/interior............ albeit in reality the screen etc is not that relevant - esp on a GT car !

@gav525 given you've probably been looking at these longer than me.... how do you see the pricing on GT4 at the moment ? mid 60s is pretty much were they are sitting give or take... so similar... maybe 5-10K behind a 997.1 GT3

i'm starting to feel a GT4 or nice 997.1GT3 is a sweet spot for a couple of years and see what prices do on 991.2 GT3

@Martyn that must have come in recently ? as i only just looked the other day to see what Belfast had in........ its arguably a pretty basic spec, but with 3K miles and OPC is probably a great buy compared to most 991.1 out there... unsure what engine variant that would have been being a 2015 but at least will be one of the 'better' variants......... plus with the 10 year blessing... unlike most of the 991.1 out there for sale (2013) this gets you to 2025 worry free.

Yep have been looking at them ever since that Euro trip, and have watched values drop from 80k plus for a decent spec Clubsport in a nice colour to mid 60s now. They seem to have been holding at that for a while now. That's a lot of car for the money at that, plus a lot newer looking and feeling compared to a 997 GT3.

Won't be a safe a place to put money compared to the GT3 mind you, but won't lose you a lot at the same time.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
yea - i thought they were 80s up to fairly recently...... I'm not overly worried about residuals, albeit i don't want to buy something that will lose a fortune.... but unlikely any of these will lose that much in the grander scheme of things.

GT4 not a 'GT' engine and long geared are i guess the slight negatives.... but in reality seem a superb package for 60K ish and modern enough inside.... and not afraid to use it ! woudl probably be a great step towards a 991.2 GT3 longer term

997 GT3 i still think will be a future classic in every way....... albeit that's 'nice' and values probably very solid etc. i don't want a car to sit still and be worried about using it as intended !!

anyone done any proper driving in both GT4 and 997 GT3 that can give real world/ownership experiences ?

gavink

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 5 RS
I have no comparison of the GT4 v GT3, but I've done around 5k of mixed driving in my 981. It does everything so well. We did a euro tour in it 2 years ago and it handled everything with ease, from motorway miles to mountain passes.
I'm always amazed how compliant Porsche have made it, it will handle our rubbish roads without any hassle. It's hard to believe that being so low down in a car with 20" wheels can be as comfortable and yet have the sharpness it does.
I'd agree ref the gearing and the engine. It feels like they have almost detuned it at the top end, to maybe stop it being too "good".
I've found it to be a little frustrating on local roads in that to really enjoy the engine note etc you are at totally silly speeds in 2nd or 3rd gear.
On track I cant imagine many cars being as good with a similar price tag, and being able to run all day without worry of overheating etc.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
Is that gavin as in GAVIN k that races? Small world if so.... didnt know you had a Porsche.

It sure is long geared given even at Spa yiu are only getting 4th... albeit no idea if a GT3 would be much different?

I’ll need to do some Porsche beard research... thanks to @Martyn for the link to the local GT3 earlier..... I have started to think... essentially a £30k jump from a GT4 or 997 GT3 but arguably a fairly different car.

Nutts

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi R8
Is this 31 a new record? Cant recall it ever being higher.

20210212_094444.jpg

Nutts

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi R8
I noticed it at 32 yesterday

they seem to have had a big influx of stock recently
I think a good handful of ex demos there though with very low miles - combo of lockdown and winter.

Some very nice cars there now, I suppose it would be against the rules to take a wee dander round the car park.

Anyone a have a dog I can borrow for an hour?

Martyn

RMS Regular
The big problem is COVID... loads of cars being traded in... but also loads of demos for sale that people can’t test...

On a lighter note 992 GT3 launched on sat 4pm cet!

Nutts

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi R8
The big problem is COVID... loads of cars being traded in... but also loads of demos for sale that people can’t test...

On a lighter note 992 GT3 launched on sat 4pm cet!
I think you might be a few days too early.