The Land Rover/ Range Rover appreciation thread

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
How do you know it had 9.5L in it? It’s a TDV8 isn’t it? There is a known issue with oil wicking through the turbo harness and that needs to be sorted otherwise it can take out the turbo

Best get it booked in somewhere, anywhere experienced should know about the above issue

Yeah TDV8. When it was serviced, a week or so later it was asking for 1L of oil. The oil was taken out and measured. 6L in it. It was presumed it wasn’t filled correctly during service but 9.5L was 100% measured back in, 400 miles ago. Now it’s at 6.6L when I measured it tonight 😳

I’ll ring tomorrow and see if they know of the issue. But I’ve a feeling it may be too late, I thought it was in my head but it def doesn’t feel like it’s pulling as hard as it should be if you pull out to overtake etc.

Where does the oil go? Would it not be smoking like mad?

It’s actually booked into hursts on Tuesday as we thought it was a sensor issue and they recently carried out the oil sensor harness change under a recall. Is that the known issue you mean?

Last edited:

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Yeah TDV8. When it was serviced, a week or so later it was asking for 1L of oil. The oil was taken out and measured. 6L in it. It was presumed it wasn’t filled correctly during service but 9.5L was 100% measured back in, 400 miles ago. Now it’s at 6.6L when I measured it tonight 😳

I’ll ring tomorrow and see if they know of the issue. But I’ve a feeling it may be too late, I thought it was in my head but it def doesn’t feel like it’s pulling as hard as it should be if you pull out to overtake etc.

Where does the oil go? Would it not be smoking like mad?

It’s actually booked into hursts on Tuesday as we thought it was a sensor issue and they recently carried out the oil sensor harness change under a recall. Is that the known issue you mean?

Yeah that’s the known issue - it’s either leaking or being burnt but it should be straight forward to figure that out

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I got an email from the LR dealer earlier today, I have to lock in my specification by next week, and should have the car at the beginning of Sept. Still undecided on colour, really liking Carpathian grey but worried it might look too black.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
I got an email from the LR dealer earlier today, I have to lock in my specification by next week, and should have the car at the beginning of Sept. Still undecided on colour, really liking Carpathian grey but worried it might look too black.

You know my thoughts - Pangea green for me

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA

Have you decided on a colour yet?

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Have you decided on a colour yet?
Hi Stefan

We had to confirm the build spec yesterday. Took a run up to the Zoo on Saturday and called into Hursts on Boucher Road on the way there - the two choices I was thinking of - Carp Grey or Silicon Silver - both those colours parked beside each other outside (in the Velar model) - the carp grey was just too close to black, and I like silver cars in general, so went for the silver.

I ended up spec'ing up an SE model, because I wanted the 20s and the DLR headlights, and by the time I had added those things to the S model, it wasnt far off the SE anyway, plus you get a few other standard features with the SE - Matrix headlights, memory seats, Meridian audio and blind spot monitor

I added the family pack which gives you 2 extra seats in the boot, plus the off-road pack - 20" Goodyear ATs, electronic diff with torque vectoring by braking, 240v plug socket, Also added a towbar, the plastic wheel arches and classic mudflaps.

Estimated to be built in July and delivered at the beginning of September, but with the shortage of a lot of parts, I think it might be a month or two after that!

1624525534731.png

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Brilliant. So is that 7 seats?

Can you get the middle front armrest/seat option in the non commercial version?

saxo_man

RMS Regular

Cheers! Yes its the 7 seat model, you can get 6 seats (middle seat) in the non-commercial version too, but you cant add both options and have 8 seats.
It’s not really a true 7 seater but the back seats should be fine picking up a couple of extra friends etc and middle row is on rails so can adjust leg room to suit
65733311-F9CC-4155-A970-2A0C940B018E.png
E524F6C7-8DEA-4FA1-9284-713276F0E26F.png

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
See Autocar had a Defender pickup on the front page? Didn't get reading it yet.

Think that's an option on all of them

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Bugger, I thought it would’ve been a good way of getting an 8 seater. I wonder why it’s either or?

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Hi Stefan

We had to confirm the build spec yesterday. Took a run up to the Zoo on Saturday and called into Hursts on Boucher Road on the way there - the two choices I was thinking of - Carp Grey or Silicon Silver - both those colours parked beside each other outside (in the Velar model) - the carp grey was just too close to black, and I like silver cars in general, so went for the silver.

I ended up spec'ing up an SE model, because I wanted the 20s and the DLR headlights, and by the time I had added those things to the S model, it wasnt far off the SE anyway, plus you get a few other standard features with the SE - Matrix headlights, memory seats, Meridian audio and blind spot monitor

I added the family pack which gives you 2 extra seats in the boot, plus the off-road pack - 20" Goodyear ATs, electronic diff with torque vectoring by braking, 240v plug socket, Also added a towbar, the plastic wheel arches and classic mudflaps.

Estimated to be built in July and delivered at the beginning of September, but with the shortage of a lot of parts, I think it might be a month or two after that!

View attachment 326898

Nice choice in terms of spec and colour - ask the retailer for your common order number or CSO and I can have a look closer to the time in terms of where it is in build

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Hello.

Does anyone have the software to calibrate the air suspension or can point me in the direction of where I can get it.

The PS is sitting 10mm higher than the DS and it's annoying me quite a bit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Hello.

Does anyone have the software to calibrate the air suspension or can point me in the direction of where I can get it.

The PS is sitting 10mm higher than the DS and it's annoying me quite a bit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Check out gap iid. There may be other options for range rovers though.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Bit of an update incase anyone else has the issue using loads of oil.

It looks like the new oil cooler that was fitted was the cause of the issue. I’ve 500 miles on it now and hasn’t used any oil yet.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Bit of an update incase anyone else has the issue using loads of oil.

It looks like the new oil cooler that was fitted was the cause of the issue. I’ve 500 miles on it now and hasn’t used any oil yet.

Part itself faulty or the fitment of it?

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Part itself faulty or the fitment of it?

Part itself. It was a Nissens one I think who only started doing it for the V8 recently. They have fitted loads to the V6 without any issues.

The genuine ones aren’t great as they are prone to failing hence mine was changed at 40k. Although there is a genuine one fitted now.

Apparently there is a breather on the cooler? Maybe it was internal fault.

The turbos are fine and the DPF was really clean. Amazed it could burn so much oil and the DPF cleaned it as it was only Smokey the odd time during regen

Hopefully it’ll not drink Adblue as much either now.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
DPF may have got too hot and the SCR may also have got poisoned from the oil but you will find out as you drive it

Hopefully not though - interesting to hear it was a pattern part failure

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
What is the SCR?

Selective catalytic reduction

As pointed out above your after treatment has 3 distinct elements in this order

Diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC)
Diesel particulate filter (DPF)
Selective catalytic reduction (SCR)

All 3 could have some poisoning from the oil - hopefully not though

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular

Fingers crossed. Never had any warning etc for anything like that yet.

They put a camera into the DPF and said it looked fine. Dunno how much that would tell you though

KevM

RMS Regular

If you were to give a guesstimate, how much would a complete system cost to replace, inc labour?

Would £5000 get it sorted?