The Tyre Review thread

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
e60 320d
I always find Bridgestones start to crack early on; saying that, I handed my Superb back with 16k on it with the original Bridgestones front and back and the cracking got no worse.
I've a pair of winter Bridgestones dot 2015 in the shed and there's not a crack on them. It must be a more recent thing.

Next time I might just stick with the cross climates although I've heard good things about the Goodyear vector 3s

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
3 year old Bridgestones.

IMG_3869.jpeg

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
e60 320d
More intrigued on how you managed to wear away just two sipes on the outer right side 😃
It seems to be the way they wear as it's regular round bith tyres. Contributing factor could be 2 dominos colleagues have to me I can lift a rear wheel in the dry 🤣
20230521_125005.jpg

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I have had:

Yokohama Advan v105
Continental Sportcontact 5
Kuhmo Ecsta
Uniroyal Rainsport 3 and 5
Hankook Ventus s1 Evo 3

And currently Goodyear Eagle F1 asym 6

The Goodyears are by far the best all around tyres i have ever had. Never tried Ps4 but I don't think I have ever had anything high performance enough to warrant them.

I gotta say, the Eagle F1 do seem to lose a bit of their bite in the last couple of mm of life though. Still great but not just quite there.

Mine are due changing soon, then probably have covered about 9000 miles by the time I change for another pair of Eagle F1s, loads of life left in the rears.

I dunno if it's just me, but they don't seem to like meguires tyre gel, they soak it up like a sponge

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Does anyone know if Tyre Town in Ballymena can still get TOYO R888R tyres? Or is there anywhere else local selling and fitting track day tyres? I quite fancy trying a set of Nankang AR-1.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Yet they want to know if your car is ceramic coated but not interested if you are running one of the following tyres/ditch finders/rear enders:

1. Goodride
  2. Westlake
  3. Chaoyang
  4. Compass Tires
  5. Telluride
  6. YKS
  7. AKS Tires

Try a set of westlake sport RS

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Does anyone know if Tyre Town in Ballymena can still get TOYO R888R tyres? Or is there anywhere else local selling and fitting track day tyres? I quite fancy trying a set of Nankang AR-1.

Look into the Accelera 651 Sport Xtra's - I have them on my track wheels for drag racing and @G24NTR has used them on track in his M4 - very good value for money

GrantR

RMS Regular

Depending on car R888R can be hit or miss, for something lightweight they may be fine but AR-1 is a solid choice.

Been tempted to get a set of AR-1s though I've read a few reviews from people saying grip levels are very similar between them and 651 xtra, better braking response but wear is much much worse.

MRF ZTR are another option, similar grip levels and seem to wear quite well. Also new Yokohama AD09 is getting favourable track reviews from Darkside Developments.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
I
Depending on car R888R can be hit or miss, for something lightweight they may be fine but AR-1 is a solid choice.

Been tempted to get a set of AR-1s though I've read a few reviews from people saying grip levels are very similar between them and 651 xtra, better braking response but wear is much much worse.

MRF ZTR are another option, similar grip levels and seem to wear quite well. Also new Yokohama AD09 is getting favourable track reviews from Darkside Developments.

The Yokohama’s don’t come in my size unfortunately.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I ran the Nankangs on the MX5 and didn’t think they were great. But could be down to the weight of the car.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
e60 320d
To update on my Bridgestone weathercontrol 005 evo tyres. They've been on the front exclusively for about 7 k miles and are worn down to between 3-3.5 mm. I'd guess they'll be done in by 10k I'd have expected them to last longer especially in a car that only weighs a ton.

The wear is even across the tread so it shouldn't be alignment. By comparison the cross climates have 20k on them and are at 3.5-4mm of wear. They have been on the front and back.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Just to add I really like the Goodyear Eagle F1 6 on my MX5 but they seem very fussy about pressure. Might be the way the car itself is setup and therefore apply to any tyre but on the current F1s they feel very squirmy if set too high or low.

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
There were Bridgestone Potenza's on my F30 335d when I got it, found them a hard ride and very slippy in the wet, then replaced with PS4S's, night and day difference, a lot smoother and the car handles like its on rails and I can barely unstick it at all even when trying. Worked surprisingly well in the snow few weeks back there too, although not sure how much was down to the xdrive.

Had Rainsports on an Ibiza FR many moons ago, great in the wet but wore very quickly.

Bridgestone of some sort on a Focus ST2.5, same as with the BMW, found them hard and not that grippy. Goodyear Eagle F1 on a Focus 1.6l and loved them.

Finally, wife's year old 1.5L Ateca, never liked the tyres on it, no grip any time of the year and even she was getting wheelspin without trying. And they have wore very quickly. So bad we're probably gona change them before trip to France this summer. Went out and checked there, they are Bridgestone Turanza t001.

So, looks like I'm not a fan of Bridgestone then... Generally get on well with Michelin and Goodyear, and definitely see the benefit of paying extra for a quality tyre over an unknown brand.

Hated the Bridgestone Turanza t001 so much that we changed them a few weeks ago (only half worn) before heading out to France here, stuck on Continental EcoContact 6 as a middle of the road tyre, massive improvement, literally no wheel spin at all and steering feels a lot sharper, wish had done it sooner.

After using a wide range of their tyres across the Focus, 335d and now Ateca, I hope I never have to experience a Bridgestone tyre ever again.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Hated the Bridgestone Turanza t001 so much that we changed them a few weeks ago (only half worn) before heading out to France here, stuck on Continental EcoContact 6 as a middle of the road tyre, massive improvement, literally no wheel spin at all and steering feels a lot sharper, wish had done it sooner.

After using a wide range of their tyres across the Focus, 335d and now Ateca, I hope I never have to experience a Bridgestone tyre ever again.
I can’t comment on car tyres but I have found the quality of Bridgestone truck tyres has dropped in the past couple years .

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
e60 320d
I had a pair of turanza 005 or something similsr on my focus and they were crap too. I've literally had better budget tyres.

The only reason I bought the Bridgestone all season was it was paddy's day and I needed a tyre then. If I had time I would have waited for a pair of cross climates.

Kind of wish I'd just stuck on a budget to tide me over to the cross climates came in.

In the Bridgestones defence these ones perform fine the tread has just disappeared 🤣

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Those Kleber Quadraxer all seasons that were on the daughters clio were excellent, done 21k and still have 5mm + on them. Wet and ice/snow performance is really good too. Kleber would have been a good rally tyre back in the 70's and 80's but not so common now. Replaced them with another set in a larger size.

crx

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda
Anyone used point s tyres, local tyre depot telling me they're a great tyre.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
e60 320d
@RubberLover sells them I’m sure he can give an opinion on them.

One of my local tyre depots has them advertised too with some sort of guarantee. I’m thinking of trying them too.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Has anyone experience of R888R’s in the wet? I need 17’s at the rear and 16’s up front.

I’m going to swap the Avon ZZR off the Elise soon and still want a very grippy dry weather tyre as that will be 95% of its driving but I was caught in rain coming back from the bishopscourt day and I’d no confidence in them at all, I kept waiting on it to step out in bends, maybe I’m paranoid with it though.

I will say though that on that red chipped tarmac stuff like you get on ramps it was like driving on ice in the wet, even at 10mph it was sideways.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
Anyone used point s tyres, local tyre depot telling me they're a great tyre.
Great is stretching it. Probably trying to sell what’s in stock.

Oddly there’s very little out there on them. Usually something for most budget brands. Are they much of a saving over a decent budget brand like Kumho?

crx

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda
Great is stretching it. Probably trying to sell what’s in stock.

Oddly there’s very little out there on them. Usually something for most budget brands. Are they much of a saving over a decent budget brand like Kumho?
I'm able to get eagle f1s for an extra £20 per tyre from a different place so it's a no brainier.

ka88

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche 997 C2S
Just on this, had very good service from Newcastle Tyres recently for 2x Eagle f1 6's.

Took 4 locking wheel nuts off too which I'd lost the key off, carefully and no fuss. In and out in 10 minutes total, recommended