The Tyre Review thread

GrantR

RMS Regular
Thought I would give some thoughts on the new Yokohama AD09, bought a set for track day use and the recent trip to Anglesey, replacing the Accelera 651 Sport Xtra (which I got 5 track days out of and probably had another 3-4 left in them).

First thing I noticed with the AD09, significantly improved turn in compared to likes of PS4S as it has a much stiffer sidewall. On the road it's a bit noiser than 4S but not that noticeable. Comfortable motorway drive down to Dublin in them and been commuting to work all week with them still on.

Took them off this evening and bugger all wear after 500 road miles and 7-8 15 minute sessions on track.
IMG20230903184514.jpg

On track these were phenomenal, was stuck to the track, able to run with TC fully off without any brownstain moments. Handled the heat well and after half a lap warm up we're good to go.

It started to get wet and greasy in the afternoon but still performed well albeit slightly less grip than in the dry.

TLDR: an excellent and reasonably priced semi slick with good wear, that you're able to hoon on track and roads.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
It’s a pity that all these new semi slicks and ultra high performance tyres are only available in bigger sizes. 16” front and 17” rears narrows the choice by quite a bit.

I’m just going with R888R Toyos when I change the Avon ZZR that are on the car now, they seem to be consistently good and well regarded as a summer tyre that can cope with a track day if needed.

GrantR

RMS Regular
It’s a pity that all these new semi slicks and ultra high performance tyres are only available in bigger sizes. 16” front and 17” rears narrows the choice by quite a bit.

I’m just going with R888R Toyos when I change the Avon ZZR that are on the car now, they seem to be consistently good and well regarded as a summer tyre that can cope with a track day if needed.

Sizing is a PITA, which is why I run 18's for track day duty, also means I can avail of BTCC slicks when my driving skills are able to utilise them. I'm looking forward to next day at Kirkistown with the Yokohamas to see if I can beat by PB.

The tyre brand snobs will slate me for this but on the Elise give the Accelera a go, I got a full set of 18's for £300, Yokohamas were over three times the price. My only issue with the Accelera were under heavy breaking (135mph to 60mph) they squirmed, but at 1700kg car and driver, on an Elise I doubt that would be an issue.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Is that the AD08RS @Coog? I’ve read a lot of the forums on them and they mostly seem say they aren’t as good as the previous compound AD08R? Some Others say they can’t really tell a difference

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car

Did you look at Nankangs ar1 or ns2r. I remember a mate running budget nankangs on his 306 20 odd years ago and them not being great but, having driven on the ar1's, they were very surprising. I'd say the ns2r would be more suitable for mixed weather driving by the look of the tread

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Is that the AD08RS @Coog? I’ve read a lot of the forums on them and they mostly seem say they aren’t as good as the previous compound AD08R? Some Others say they can’t really tell a difference

Yes. I do remember reading those reviews before I went ahead and bought mine.

Haven’t tried the older ones to compare so can’t say how much ‘worse’ the new ones are.

I’ve 3 seasons and at a guess 2000 pure track miles on them. Rotated once and they’re about half way done. They don’t seem to go off which is a problem I had with nankangs on the MX5.

Can’t really think of a bad point about them. Maybe wet grip isn’t as good as a road tyre, though I’m still able to get round a lot faster stuff on a wet track.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Looked at Nankang aswell, the AR1 seem to be a hardcore track tyre and they are expensive, NS2R seem to be a decent option for dry road and a bit of track now and again.

Carryduff tyres said they can do me a set of Toyo R888R for just over £600 fitted. I thought that was a very decent price. Reviews say the Toyos are awesome in the dry and surprisingly good on damp and even wet surfaces but just to be aware for aqua planning in heavy rain or standing water which is common sense really.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Looked at Nankang aswell, the AR1 seem to be a hardcore track tyre and they are expensive, NS2R seem to be a decent option for dry road and a bit of track now and again.

Carryduff tyres said they can do me a set of Toyo R888R for just over £600 fitted. I thought that was a very decent price. Reviews say the Toyos are awesome in the dry and surprisingly good on damp and even wet surfaces but just to be aware for aqua planning in heavy rain or standing water which is common sense really.
Well if it's wet you'll hardly be sending her on too hard anyway

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I can’t remember which nankangs I had on mine but I much preferred the Dunlop Blureponse they replaced. First time I lost control on track was on those tyres. Went from fine to overheating & greasy in no time and I ended up spinning off on Mondello. They were a few years old by that stage which might have been something to do with it and to be honest everyone else thinks they’re class so could just have been my crap driving lol

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I think it will be hard to say no to R888’s at that price and I haven’t seen any bad reviews on them at all, the tread pattern looks the part too

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
e60 320d
Anybody tried uniroyal all season experts. The Bridgestones are done and the cross climates are way up in price £105 a corner from my local depot and black circles.

Uniroyal, bf Goodrich, khumo all seasons are all between £75-85. I liked the rainsports before but the cross climates are a fantastic all rounder too.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
What size @gary1365 I’ve Firestone multi season 2 on the daily and they are great in this weather and in snow, £70 a corner fitted iirc but that was 15”

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
e60 320d
What size @gary1365 I’ve Firestone multi season 2 on the daily and they are great in this weather and in snow, £70 a corner fitted iirc but that was 15”
205 55 16 Firestone wasn’t one of the options but I’m going to do a bit of shopping around the local depots and see what the options are.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I'm on my 4th set of all season experts on the freelander, epic in wet, muddy conditions (high summer in Ireland) and unstoppable in snow and ice too. Mine are 235/65 R17 so nice squishy sidewalls. Usually get 20k out of a set with a rotation halfway through.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Also in the market for a set of mid range budgets all seasons. I was going to go for Maxxis, but good to have a few alternatives recommendations there.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Agreed, just taken a set of the daughter's car that did exactly that.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
Anybody tried uniroyal all season experts. The Bridgestones are done and the cross climates are way up in price £105 a corner from my local depot and black circles.

Uniroyal, bf Goodrich, khumo all seasons are all between £75-85. I liked the rainsports before but the cross climates are a fantastic all rounder too.
In this latest All Season group test, at least in their SUV variant, they didn’t fare that well vs its peers 2023 SUV All Season Tyre Test - Tyre Reviews and Tests

The Hankook 4S 2 is very good and often comes in at a decent price.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yeah, I'd imagine it wouldn't fare well against much for dry grip but equally it's dead on for normal driving. I don't really be pushing a 1900kg diesel suv through the bends much but they still perform well. Where it scores is security and stability of grip in wet, muddy and snowy conditions. Good compromise for the sort of weather we get here imo.

neil-c

RMS Regular
Maxxis in any model except AP3 will be great. The AP3 slice off at the shoulders, you’ll regret it.

I had a set of Maxxis tyres do this. Not sure what model they were, but they were very hard compound as well and I wasn't a fan.

RWL

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
In this latest All Season group test, at least in their SUV variant, they didn’t fare that well vs its peers 2023 SUV All Season Tyre Test - Tyre Reviews and Tests

The Hankook 4S 2 is very good and often comes in at a decent price.

Stuck a set of those on the Allroad last week. First time out in the proper wet last night and this morning, quite impressed with them so far! Nice and quiet and smooth. Maybe a little bit sorer on diesel but to be expected with all season tyres as far as I gather.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
Stuck a set of those on the Allroad last week. First time out in the proper wet last night and this morning, quite impressed with them so far! Nice and quiet and smooth. Maybe a little bit sorer on diesel but to be expected with all season tyres as far as I gather.
I think they’re the best tyre for here for a car that isn’t driven for fun.

The CrossClimate 2 still seems to be a very good tyre as you’d expect but has given away some wet and dry performance for a big increase in snow ability.

RWL

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
I think they’re the best tyre for here for a car that isn’t driven for fun.

The CrossClimate 2 still seems to be a very good tyre as you’d expect but has given away some wet and dry performance for a big increase in snow ability.

Cross Climates were working out at around £30 more expensive per corner than the Hankook’s. I’ve Cross Climates on the V70 but haven’t had the opportunity to test either on ice/snow yet. Had Continental full winters on the V70 in March when the snow came and I was very impressed with them and they were well past half worn.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Fitted Uniroyal Rainsport 5s on my Mk5 golf gti a couple of months back. Finding that they are very good.

Huge step up in both wet and dry from the 'really good' mid range (or more accurately totally *****) Kumho Ecsta PS71s they replaced.