The Tyre Review thread

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I googled my own Michelin Primacy A/S tyres there just out of curiosity and they get bad customer ratings. I started reading the reviews (from Americans btw) and the majority of the complaints were for short tread life. A range of folks think that 30-42k miles is too little time for a tyre to last because it costs a lot eg $300 and gave it a 1 star rating. 🤦🏼‍♂️

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
e60 320d
The Bridgestones that I’ve worn out have been on the front of the car since paddy’s day this year 🤣

I’m not sure what to do as turner tyres has khumo hs52 for £65 a corner I can get uniroyal for £80 all seasons or rainsport 5 and continental all seasons for £94.

I’m tempted to go just normal summer tyres again but I like the extra security all seasons give you on nasty greasy or muddy roads that we get a lot of here.

I used my cross climates 2 last winter in everything from sheet ice, compact and polished snow to deep snow and they never once put a foot wrong. I got up some pretty impressive hills with them out delivering in the dead of night. I’ve driven over the coleraine mountain at 4am in heavy snow etc and they were perfect. I’ve had worse premium branded winter tyres before.

I’m not out at all hours on untreated roads any more too so winter performance isn’t as important anymore.

56oval

RMS Regular
Had a full set of Laufenn S Fit on the bmw, it had Yokohamas on it before and i have to say, the Laufenn have far better grip, lower road noise and generally feel better suited to the car. They come with a warranty too based on tread depth .

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
Anyone get the Hankooks locally?
Not handy for you but I was surprised how competitive one of the Enniskillen depots had them. In 205/55/16 they were £90 so basically within a few quid of Black Circles.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
e60 320d
I do think all seasons are best suited to our climate too.

I’ve never been offered hankook from anyone here I’ve seen there all seasons are well reviewed.

I’ve had some good budgets and some terrible. I had imperial all season on the Passat that were good to they hit about 3-4 mm and they just became scary in the wet. I think Laufenn are made by hankook I’ve heard of them before and think they’re one of the good budgets.

finn28

RMS Regular
Drives
350z
Also in the market for a set of mid range budgets all seasons. I was going to go for Maxxis, but good to have a few alternatives recommendations there.

I've just ordered 2 Maxxis VS5 with a local tyre guy. He reckons they are great tyre but just don't have the brand recognition yet; I guess I'll know soon enough.

RubberLover

RMS Regular
I've just ordered 2 Maxxis VS5 with a local tyre guy. He reckons they are great tyre but just don't have the brand recognition yet; I guess I'll know soon enough.
Careful, these are like butter when they first came out. 4K miles max! Could be better now though, never went near them after they were first released.

Genuinely like Maxxis as a brand. The AP3 and VS5 aren’t their best work.

Let us know how the VS5 wear!

finn28

RMS Regular
Drives
350z
Careful, these are like butter when they first came out. 4K miles max! Could be better now though, never went near them after they were first released.

Genuinely like Maxxis as a brand. The AP3 and VS5 aren’t their best work.

Let us know how the VS5 wear!

Hoping to take the car down to trackskills in October, so they'll get a good run in lol.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I think they’re the best tyre for here for a car that isn’t driven for fun.

The CrossClimate 2 still seems to be a very good tyre as you’d expect but has given away some wet and dry performance for a big increase in snow ability.

Have you used the Kinergy 4s2’s in all seasons yet? How have they faired up all year?

Ian A

RMS Regular
OP
Ian A
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Huge step up in both wet and dry from the 'really good' mid range (or more accurately totally *****) Kumho Ecsta PS71s they replaced.

Really surprised to read this, had these on a stage 2+ GTI and rated them really well.

Grip, dry and wet, was spot on. Wore well, not too dear.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
Have you used the Kinergy 4s2’s in all seasons yet? How have they faired up all year?
Not yet - still running CrossClimate's for a bit. Still some life in them and waiting to see how the Conti AllSeason Contact 2 fares in the reviews before pulling the plug.

Jon from Tyre Reviews did another test but in smaller sizes this time vs last time where the Hankook finished joint top. Still highly recommended in the group test finishing 3rd 2023 24 Tyre Reviews All Season Tyre Test - Tyre Reviews and Tests

Bridgestone also has a new all season coming too that seemed to fare well in this test 2023 SUV All Season Tyre Test - Tyre Reviews and Tests

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Not yet - still running CrossClimate's for a bit. Still some life in them and waiting to see how the Conti AllSeason Contact 2 fares in the reviews before pulling the plug.

Jon from Tyre Reviews did another test but in smaller sizes this time vs last time where the Hankook finished joint top. Still highly recommended in the group test finishing 3rd 2023 24 Tyre Reviews All Season Tyre Test - Tyre Reviews and Tests

Bridgestone also has a new all season coming too that seemed to fare well in this test 2023 SUV All Season Tyre Test - Tyre Reviews and Tests

I phoned round a few places today and Carryduff were adamant the Hankook was crap and all only reviews are paid for.

I still think Tyre Reviews are reliable to base an opinion on.

Another place in Lisburn quoted a very cheap price for fitting only, so I can see me just getting them online and fitted there.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Really surprised to read this, had these on a stage 2+ GTI and rated them really well.

Grip, dry and wet, was spot on. Wore well, not too dear.
Mines only had a few mild bits done to it, I think sitting around 240 brake, and I found them to be some of the worst tyres I've ever had on a car. Saying that, I'd usually run either rainsports, contisports, pilot sports or Michelin alpins, and have done for a long time.

Thought they might have been ancient but 2021 codes on them. I'd say they'd wear well right enough as they weren't doing much gripping 😂

Reminded me of p zero Nero's I had on the fabia vrs, but worse.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I got a pair of Goodyear's on the back of the 530d recently and they are nowhere near as good as the Conti premium contact 6 that came off, according to the traction light.

J55NI

RMS Regular
Just purchased my third set of 19" Bridgestone S001 RFT for the daily 3 series. Really cant complain at all with performance or mileage ( 35,000 a set roughly ). That's replacing them at 3mm also.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Aye there’s a big difference between the various models much like Michelin tbh.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Put 4 x Kimble ES31 on my daily Leon
Was the cheapest of the higher-tier mid-range I could find,
Seem good so far