VAG 1.8T (190bhp) tuning?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
Dad's looking a little more go in the Audi (A4 S-line 1.8t 190bhp), He was thinking a Miltek cat-back system and a remap.

I know nothing about the 1.8T engines in VAG's. Whats the simplist way to wring a few more horsies out of it? With the size of the car it's slow as buggery.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
KO3s turbo from the likes of a TT 225 or 8L S3

Turbo back exhaust including down pipe from Milltek or Blueflame

Revo Remap

Forge FMIC

Panel filter or Intake

Should be good for around 225bhp or so - I think with the addition of the downpipe you can go to stage 2+ with the revo will give him several more horsies!

Simon998

RMS Regular
OP
Simon998
Drives
90's Junk
If his car is the 190bhp version does it not already have the k03 turbo and require the k04 for an upgrade? He was going to sell it and buy a 2003 RS6 but mum decided she wants a new bathroom/kitchen in the house so that put that on hold.

I'll convince him into getting a panel filter and turbo back exhaust first, then he can decide if he wants to change the turbo/intercooler then remap it - No point in remapping it until he's finished upgrading parts on it.

Revogti

RMS Regular
Drives
????
lol, i thought a 190bhp 1.8T would be lively enough! A simple remap and panel filter should free up a few horsies though!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I think there is an S version of the turbo inbetween - the ibiza cupra was a ko3 and the tt 225 was a ko3s

As far as I know the K04 is the turbo in my 2007 S3

Simon998

RMS Regular
OP
Simon998
Drives
90's Junk
Just got him to order a turboback Blueflame exhaust, with sports cats (90mm tips) from eBay, £750 delivered. Good price you reckon?

And he ordered a pipercross panal filter from the same seller for £32 delivered.

Next will be an intercooler and turbo, or do you think just a remap will do? Hes only after 250ish bhp.

Simon998

RMS Regular
OP
Simon998
Drives
90's Junk
lol, i thought a 190bhp 1.8T would be lively enough! A simple remap and panel filter should free up a few horsies though!

Its exceptionally slow, It's a car that use to be the dealers son's car, so its full of all the toys (satnav, dvd player, heated leather etc) and i guess it must weigh a ton!

_ZS_

Drives
Mondeo, i30, MF1
If a 190hp A4 is "exceptionally slow" then there's probably something wrong with it. AFM, turbo, or something's amiss.

A 100-ish horse 1.9TDi A4 isn't "exceptionally slow"...

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
If his car is the 190bhp version does it not already have the k03 turbo and require the k04 for an upgrade? He was going to sell it and buy a 2003 RS6 but mum decided she wants a new bathroom/kitchen in the house so that put that on hold.

Tell her to shove the kitchen. Was out for a run in an s5 yesterday (same engine) and it was epic. Couldnt beat that v8 rumble, 20 mpg though when taking it fairly easy. :eek:

Simon998

RMS Regular
OP
Simon998
Drives
90's Junk
Tell her to shove the kitchen. Was out for a run in an s5 yesterday (same engine) and it was epic. Couldnt beat that v8 rumble, 20 mpg though when taking it fairly easy. :eek:

He only uses it in the evenings or weekends, uses the van for work and mums got her car for the kid's run to school etc. so he never worrys about MPG really...

It got scalped by a friends 106gti, and that sort of made dad want to tune it a tad. I'll maybe get a look around the engine bay when i'm up at there house at the weekend and see if there's anything amiss, Would VAGCOM show any faults? Like i said, i know nothing about these cars/engines.

Simon998

RMS Regular
OP
Simon998
Drives
90's Junk
Usually slower cars lyons, he had a 330i then bought a 318i touring before the Audi. I'd say the 330i was the quickest car hes had since his old forenza droopsnoot (Or something symilar not too sure wtf the car is called. Which he constantly goes on about being a stupidly fast motor)

peter "T"

RMS Regular
theres some thing wrong with it, ive one. goes very well for a 1800 (not a rocket ship by any means but goes well for what it is )

peter "T"

RMS Regular
ps, just read you last post about him owning a 330i, i sold my 330ci and got the audi and id say the audi"s quicker ? strange, maybe he just got a bad one ?

Simon998

RMS Regular
OP
Simon998
Drives
90's Junk
I read your is the Quattro also, which i'm sure is making a transmission loss more than his 2wd version. Its odd, i thought he was just a lazy driver then i took it a spin myself and its definately not that sharp.

Anyone local to Lisburn (Sprucefield) have VAGCOM? I'm not even sure how VAGCOM works, but it would be good to see if there's any faults flagging up.

Crimson

RMS Regular
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
KO3s turbo from the likes of a TT 225 or 8L S3

Turbo back exhaust including down pipe from Milltek or Blueflame

Revo Remap

Forge FMIC

Panel filter or Intake

Should be good for around 225bhp or so - I think with the addition of the downpipe you can go to stage 2+ with the revo will give him several more horsies!

^^^^^^I agree with boydie

most cars with the 1.8T engine from '99/2000 onwards in the VAG group all typically share the same 20v engine and can be easily remapped and TBH I have to also agree with what others have mentioned in this thread; the 1.8T 190bhp engine should not be sluggish at all - what's the avg MPG like for a typical journey? When's the last time she was serviced?

My Mk4 Golf is quite heavy, but it's 1.8T lump is pushing out 150bhp and you can feel the boosting making a noticeable difference in speed when the turbo kicks in and she's standard with no mods

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
is it definately a 190 bhp model? maybe check the kw reading just to be sure, a 106 gti would be nippy but the audi should definately have the legs on it..

or maybe could be it just needs ragged for a few weeks?!!

peter "T"

RMS Regular
my be its just the way its been drivin, for so long . many years ago i bought a gte manta, my mum bought one at the same time, i knocked the bag out of mine from new . after a year or so i drove my mums motor. two totaly different driving cars, her"s was real slow. ?

Simon998

RMS Regular
OP
Simon998
Drives
90's Junk
Well, The exhaust was ordered last night along with the filter, once he gets those fitted i'll tell him to fill it up and give it a good shoeing for a while see if he can liven it up a little.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
The system won't make a big difference, certainly not at that price. A remap from the likes of obd at half the price would waken it up substantially more plus all the fault codes will be read before they start doing any work. Might be a complete waste of £700 odd sheets if it's an engine problem to start with.... My a4 didn't feel real sharp until you looked at the speedo and saw what you where actually doing.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Cancel the exhaust and get it remapped in that case. Plenty of scope for a bit more power with a k04. The BAM engine on the Tt is slightly different but you'll still get a good power increase.

Simon998

RMS Regular
OP
Simon998
Drives
90's Junk
The system won't make a big difference, certainly not at that price. A remap from the likes of obd at half the price would waken it up substantially more plus all the fault codes will be read before they start doing any work. Might be a complete waste of £700 odd sheets if it's an engine problem to start with.... My a4 didn't feel real sharp until you looked at the speedo and saw what you where actually doing.

He wanted the 90mm tailpipes anyway, his only had two wee pea-shooters out the back and looked daft with the S rear bumper. He was just going to get the catback for £390 but i told him it wouldnt really be worth it, do it once, do it right etc etc.

Whos recommended for remaps over here then? I think ill tell him just to do the filter, exhaust and a remap...

Surely he'd see 240-250bhp from that?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.