What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
How do you find those brake discs?

I've them on my E36 and find they constantly squeal which I'm guessing is down to the grooves going in opposite directions as opposed to the usual uniform direction they usually follow

Had them for a good few months now. No complaints yet touch wood!

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Wheels on for the first time since refurb.

20190807_154423.jpg

20190807_190808.jpg

Last edited:

Tommy_c

RMS Regular
Drives
mondeo st tdci
I started it, he’s gonna finish it 😃

Attachments

• FF662FAA-B7F3-4462-8825-ACD227205E42.jpeg
    FF662FAA-B7F3-4462-8825-ACD227205E42.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 100

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Since replacing the air filters the other week, I've intermittently been having an issue where under wot the car would crap itself and throw up the following warning
Screenshot_20190804-162907_Gallery.jpg

Now the first time I saw it, I nearly cried, then I thought, what has been done since getting the car back from the work being done in England?.....

First thing that popped into my head was the air filters, there's a lot of pipe work around the air boxes, the pictured air box sits infront of the PCV system, below the new BMC (red) filters you can see one of the pipes I removed to adjust the position of the intake pipe

Screenshot_20190808-222643_Gallery.jpg

On the end with the 90° bend, the teeth which hold the pipe secure were worn down and I could see they hadn't sealed correctly, after removing and refitting near on twenty times, I realised it wasn't to be and it wouldn't seat correctly, so replacement ordered from TPS and hey presto, today it showed up, wiped down the connecting end as it was damp with oil residue, a bit of back and forth and she seated 100%

Giving her the beans coming home from work, she seemed to be singing on key, so I'm fairly certain this was what caused the fault, the warning appeared on Sunday during the drive which annoyed me slightly, but turning the car off and on returned it to working order, I had pre researched the fault as the first time was a few days prior so knew to take it easier but the pipe was still in place, but there was a bit of blow by.

The engine light is stuck on, so going to read the codes to make sure nothing catastrophic still lurks around!

I'll be more mindful of those pipes from now on, as they're supposedly very very brittle and easy to break in half.

bill

Banned
I got a used alloy as a spare wheel for the wifes Micra its in ok condition just have to hope no buckles
IMG_0201 (2).jpg

Now to find a cheap tyre

Gemma

RMS Regular
So, the horror stories of the rod bearings on the e92 m3s have gotten the better of me.
Only this past week a guy with a 1 owner car, 2013 motor, 26k miles, rod bearings went.
Not taking my chances and have her booked in with Ricks garage as soon as I get home from holidays!

Been gathering all the bits and bobs which consist off
10litres of oil and oil filter
BMW Engine mounts(nuts and bolts that go with it)
BMW Sump gasket and bolts
BMW Thermostat (mines is playing about)
ACL race bearings
ARP bolts
IMG_20190816_183824.jpg

As soon as Rick rips mine out, I'll get a picture up of what they look like.
This is a guys at 70k miles

received_1283892511769162.jpeg

For me it's a cheaper preventive lol

Oooo and a new BMW battery so out with the old and in with the new.
IMG_20190807_152637_825.jpg

Last edited:

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
So, the horror stories of the rod bearings on the e92 m3s have gotten the better of me.
Only this past week a guy with a 1 owner car, 2013 motor, 26k miles, rod bearings went.
Not taking my chances and have her booked in with Ricks garage as soon as I get home from holidays!

ACL race bearings
ARP bolts
View attachment 247186

View attachment 247191

Definitely. I wish I'd have done my car before it went (ringlands failure).
It's strange getting an engine rebuilt AFTER it's failed. Even though I've been assured mine is "bullet proof" now , i still get a horrible feeling when i feel a stumble or see a wee puff of smoke as i experienced the failure.
But its pretty ballsy to spend the cash when there's nothing wrong. I always said "awk if it blows i have money set aside" but it messes with your head after the experience.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

ACL race bearings
ARP bolts
View attachment 247186

View attachment 247191

Oooo and a new BMW battery so out with the old and in with the new.
View attachment 247195

Can you not just get a jar of oil sent off for analysis these days?