Whats going on with MOT Availability at the moment?

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
They already seem to be soft on newer cars. My mum's Fiat 500 passed MOT with both wheel bearings hanging out of it. Same with my wife's Mini - it passed with a balljoint hanging out of it. Yet if I bring a 2004 Mini over it gets slaughtered.

Try bringing a Civic! Balmoral had it near an hour, revving the nuts off it probably trying to get me for noise (just a manifold and Milltek), obviously going over it with a fine-tooth comb, with at least 5 people I counted arriving after me and leaving before me. Also came out with the airbag light on he said appeared after the test was done, I haven't seen it again since turning the ignition off after (that was in November), no fault codes. Got me for de-cat! Waited for the 21 day retest period to expire (wouldn't just let me book another full test), took it elsewhere and it was in and out in no time with a pass.

I've said before though, they probably see their fair share of scrap Civics not properly maintained. Minis are probably the same.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's just luck of the day really. I had one doing donuts at the back of the test centre in the S3 to "test the suspension" 🙈

99.9% of tests and testers have been dead on and treated the cars with respect.

Rossӏmac

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S4
The current site only lets you book up to 3 months ahead.

How are you booking appointments 6 months down the line? Or have I picked you up wrong?

From what I can see, you can book the test but it has to be after your MOT expires.

If you want to book before it expires (or to book a cancellation before expiry for one you've booked after expiry), you need to be within 3 months.

For example,

I've booked my test for after it expires in July and I can't book a cancellation until mid April.

1000127830.png

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
From what I can see, you can book the test but it has to be after your MOT expires.

If you want to book before it expires (or to book a cancellation before expiry for one you've booked after expiry), you need to be within 3 months.

For example,

I've booked my test for after it expires in July and I can't book a cancellation until mid April.

View attachment 427823

Follow it through to payment. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t allow you to finalise it.

Rossӏmac

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S4
Follow it through to payment. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t allow you to finalise it.

Yeah if you try to choose a date before your expiry, it'll show that message.

If you find a date after your expiry for either the initial booking or for a cancellation, you can book it.

Here's the booking I've got currently, which is after the expiry of 15 July.

1000127831.png

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
As a big backer of stop being lazy and refresh for a few mins, I’ve never seen it as bad as it is at the minute.

Surely this is the booking sites causing this? Seemed to be alot easier when they were stopped for that short time.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Daughters KA up for test today.

Havent got looking near it, stinking inside and out, intermittent ABS light 🤦‍♂️

Will be grand 8o|

davyk31

RMS Regular
It’s worth giving it a clean outside and a tidy inside to create a better first impression. Going in bogging looks like you don’t even care enough to try.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
It’s worth giving it a clean outside and a tidy inside to create a better first impression. Going in bogging looks like you don’t even care enough to try.
100% agreed. I did try telling her but zero ****s given :joy:

ABS light will be a problem. Fingers crossed 🤞
Yeah, comes on over bumps but clears if you stop/restart the car. Just hoping it doesnt come on when they bump it down into the rollers 🤞

Darragh

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra TT6
On a side note how annoying is it when you have a rattle in the suspension and you can’t find it, everything looks fine, you ask mot man to go to town to find said rattle, car comes back with a pass and no idea where the rattle is 😂

Head Gasket

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo S60
Anyone else think the £29.50 retest fee is a complete p1ss take? Having to spend nearly £70 on a single MOT is a bit much. And the retest is just someone looking at something for 5 seconds in some cases, so how can it be justified?

midgelfc

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 630D GT
I managed to get an MOT pretty easily there. Letter came in last week and tried maybe 3 times and refreshed a handful of times and got an appointment at Mullusk. Thought ended up being failed :joy: :mad: .

Saying that i question the reason why, considering the boyo clearly wrote the reason in and spelt 🍌 wrong :joy:

Phoned BMW for a base price and they wanted £750 to replace a ball joint..... away and do one!

PXL_20240315_114105805.jpg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Always do the basic checks. Would hate to fail on a blown fog light bulb or something simple. For all it takes.

Anyone know what happens if you turn up 10mins late? I’ve one tomorrow and I might end up being late for it with other stuff going on that I can’t rearrange ffs.

Calco

RMS Regular
Drives
Octavia
I spoke to a tester about this after I was running late one day with one of our fleet and he told me that he has to wait for 10 Minute before he can move on to the next test , he wasn't too happy though as he sqid it puts him under pressure

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yes, they'll fit you in if they can but no guarantees if they're busy. It royally messes up the schedule for them. Just depends really.

I got stuck for an hour once before they could fit me in after I arrived in the wrong lane and nobody realising.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I was late for a retest in ards on the bike and arrived through the test centre gates on 1 wheel 🤣

Tester said the only reason he didn’t shut the door was because he could hear me coming up the industrial estate the wheelie confirmed it 🤣 also said he’d have failed my exhaust if it wasn’t a retest I forgot to put the baffle back in the can.

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
Always do the basic checks. Would hate to fail on a blown fog light bulb or something simple. For all it takes.

Anyone know what happens if you turn up 10mins late? I’ve one tomorrow and I might end up being late for it with other stuff going on that I can’t rearrange ffs.
You will get taken in, but on their discretion. They say it's your fault for being late so when they make time up they will take you in
I got a bollocking from a tester as it says arrive 10 mins early, but was working an called in during my route.

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Anyone else think the £29.50 retest fee is a complete p1ss take? Having to spend nearly £70 on a single MOT is a bit much. And the retest is just someone looking at something for 5 seconds in some cases, so how can it be justified?

Someone has to pay for all the testers off on long term sick!

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Was talking to a tester the other day who’d said they’re getting far more cars brought up that haven’t been looked over and 10-20 no shows every day. It’s not all old stuff either, said shocking how many cars failing their first mot.
Obviously they’ve their own internal issues but this is adding to it.