Whats going on with MOT Availability at the moment?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's only two years behind schedule, that's nothing 😇

This sounds like the ongoing dispute with one of the suppliers? They tried to kick them out, but were told by the courts that they can't actually cancel the contract or reject the equipment 🙈

No idea what the actual (alleged) issue with the equipment is though.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
So, DVA chief executive thinks it's the motorists fault. DVA never seen to admit any fault

Previously, the Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA) chief executive Jeremy Logan said motorists faced an average wait of 72 days for tests.

Mr Logan added "changed customer behaviours" - such as customers holding onto cars for longer and more cars on the road - were responsible for the pressures.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Did someone on here not already say it's the computer system? It isn't compatible with the other sites so if you need a retest you had to go back to there.
Or something 😆

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
So, DVA chief executive thinks it's the motorists fault. DVA never seen to admit any fault

Previously, the Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA) chief executive Jeremy Logan said motorists faced an average wait of 72 days for tests.

Mr Logan added "changed customer behaviours" - such as customers holding onto cars for longer and more cars on the road - were responsible for the pressures.
Jesus wept, there is a fairly insidious thing creeping in on a lot of car based things where people are increasingly being pushed to just get rid of otherwise perfectly working cars because they aren't new or need fairly simple repairs.

So holding on to a car for longer means that the DVA can't test cars efficiently or have an entirely workable booking system. What a total cretin.

MustangAlly

RMS Regular
Drives
Corvette
It’s the approach about 90% of the population take. A quick walk through a retail centre carpark and there’s always a scary amount of racing slicks on cars with child seats.
Told a woman in my old work who had young children that her front tyres were completely bald. She immediately got defensive and claimed they are not. Next day she is in she has 2 front tyres on and not a word of thanks!

azzymo

RMS Regular
Drives
Bikes
I take it they no longer send out reminder letters? I've one car due 7th April and the other 27th April and haven't received a notification for either in the post or email.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
My MOT has expired and have one booked (for July), every time I go on for a cancellation it's always something ridiculous like Downpatrick in 30 minutes or Newbuildings **** sake. Pain in the hole.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d

I don't read that as him blaming drivers. He is just stating a fact and that there are more cars requiring MOTs than there was previously.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
I don't read that as him blaming drivers. He is just stating a fact and that there are more cars requiring MOTs than there was previously.

He is right but it's their doing as testing capacity hasn't kept up with the increase in car ownership and it only takes one little thing to tip the scales. They got 2 big things, the lifts and then COVID. The two new centres are too little too late and they're not even open yet and when they do it won't be enough.

The amount of time that people hold onto their cars for is something that changes all the time depending on the economic situation, it's not something new.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I take it they no longer send out reminder letters? I've one car due 7th April and the other 27th April and haven't received a notification for either in the post or email.
They do, but not that far in advance. You can always book whenever you want, no need to wait for the reminder.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
The number of cars on the road has been rising steadily for a long time but the testing infrastructure is 50 years old and has had no meaningful upgrades other than lifts instead of pits (that went well lol). It's their fault if they haven't been able to see the trends and plan capacity accordingly, more likely there was no money from Westminster as they've been strangling public services for 13 years.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Got a cancellation for this evening in Ards (booked yesterday) for the son's car while he's in Japan.
Only saw that it needed brakes on all 4 corners when I was giving it an underbody wash last Sunday, two new front tyres, new windscreen for the second year in a row, a destroyed inner arch liner and all fluids and filters. Just needed a reasonable drive round the back roads to bed in the new pads and discs to get a better pedal and got a pass alright. Have to say, the throughput of cars was quite impressive tonight, in and out in about 10 minutes.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
MOT on S3 is due 13/05/24 and earliest in Ards currently is 3rd July :joy:

Every centre is July/Aug

davyk31

RMS Regular
The new centre at Mallusk isn’t going to be open any time soon, construction hasn’t even been started despite tenders being on the go for well over 18 months.

azzymo

RMS Regular
Drives
Bikes
Got a cancellation for this evening in Ards (booked yesterday) for the son's car while he's in Japan.
Only saw that it needed brakes on all 4 corners when I was giving it an underbody wash last Sunday, two new front tyres, new windscreen for the second year in a row, a destroyed inner arch liner and all fluids and filters. Just needed a reasonable drive round the back roads to bed in the new pads and discs to get a better pedal and got a pass alright. Have to say, the throughput of cars was quite impressive tonight, in and out in about 10 minutes.

Ards is the main MOT training centre isn't it? They failed me on front tints I never knew I had, that had also passed 8 previous MOTs elsewhere. Apparently Ards are renowned for being the toughest centre.

It's two trips (at least!) to Lisburn for me next month. I managed to get dates after refreshing the screen for about 20 minutes in order to get dates that suited. Every refresh contained new dates, different locations and multiple options in almost all centres. Handy enough getting dates in advance of expiry.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
It swings depending on who you speak to. Used to be armagh was the toughest then Lisburn was horrible to get anything through and on it goes.

I've put 5 through Ards this year so far and it's been absolutely fine.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Had to book the MOT for mum's wee Fiesta this morning, it due on the 27th June. I was preparing to spend most of my day off refreshing the page. But thankfully got a date for the 26th June in Ards within a few minutes.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Isn’t it used as training centre ? So more likely to get a newbie being monitored and wanting to be sure to be sure.