Whats going on with MOT Availability at the moment?

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Do the extensions happen automatically or how does it work? I've two due at the start of Feb

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
I phoned last Monday morning, got straight through to speak to a human, got a slot for same day, choice of times, I took 18:10.
Quick trip to the sponge wash and....pass. Easy.
Not just use the online service?

markmeus

RMS Regular
For some reason my car has never been extended automatically, I had to chase it up in Feb when the original test was cancelled due to the lifts, they then extended it to June. Once again it expired at end of June and I had to chase it up. So it then got extended to Dec. And I just booked a test for Dec and got a date and passed rather than having to hound them every time it's been forgotten about.

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
Does anybody know if mot-ni.co.uk still works?

Need to book a retest and earliest I could get is January.

Tried to put in my booking details and it says details failed.
Booked one as normal on the site with Reg and VIN, last Friday in Armagh. Don't know about DPK but plenty of slots in Armagh and it was dead when I went up.

Quite handy them taking the car from the start and getting to wait in the nice warm office

FullBeam

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiesta ST
Anyone what's going on with cars getting their first? My first MOT is due January so it's still showing no details held. Do I have to book the test to get the extension?

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Doesn't really seem to be any rhyme or reason to it all.

So true, My mums received an extension due to the lift and another due to Corvid. It is now due the end of January. Mine which I chanced my arm and took for MOT at the end of February has now been extended until the end of Augest

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
Anyone what's going on with cars getting their first? My first MOT is due January so it's still showing no details held. Do I have to book the test to get the extension?
Armagh test center is open, so I assume others are.

My thinking would be if you've nothing booked, they'll assume you don't need an MOT for whatever reason and no reason to extend it. I know there are some exceptions mentioned here that would break that theory.

Play it safe and call up to get it on the system and then book it in either then and there or online

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Yeah Downpatrick is open - MOT'd my E61 last week and had numerous slots available and I got a retest for the 18th handy enough.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
My English reg 16 plate was due its first mot in June, but I got sent the 6 month extension automatically. Then got a reminder last month. Then I put it through the test last week.

steeldevil

RMS Regular
Drives
Lexus IS300h
What's the craic with MOTs under the new lockdown?

I've the car booked as it's due 4 Jan but then the lockdown was announced, nothing on the NI direct site?

vezna

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
My car is due in February. If my mechanic shuts then I’ll be potentially sending it in for MOT with no way of getting it prepared for the test. :triumph:

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Mine's still showing January 18th. I think I'll hold off until March or April (it isn't used much, especially in the winter) and I've had no reminders through about it.

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
With carwashes to close, i cant see how the MOTs can still go ahead. I can just imagine their faces if every car turned up bogging!

vezna

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Some people that live in more rural locations need to get the car washed underneath before MOT. Good luck doing that in your driveway.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Mine's still showing January 18th. I think I'll hold off until March or April (it isn't used much, especially in the winter) and I've had no reminders through about it.
Odd, mine was due 14 Feb ish and now it's put back to Aug next year already.

Is yours new in from GB or anything?

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Odd, mine was due 14 Feb ish and now it's put back to Aug next year already.

Is yours new in from GB or anything?
Originally imported to GB, but I've MOT'd it twice already here. It was already put back 6 months from July.

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
Heaven forbid we would have the ability to wash a car and check our lights and horn are working ourselves 😁
I am more than able to do all of that except washing under the car. I wouldnt expect anyone to scrape through muck and cow ***** to check brake lines or joint seals but seems im in a minority on that one 😂