Whats going on with MOT Availability at the moment?

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
They have just cancelled my mums MoT that was booked for next Wednesday (refund is through too). Her car turns 4 at the end of the month (30th I think) and I had the day booked off to take it there and all as she broke her wrist a few weeks ago and can't drive at the moment. I checked when I booked it for her a few weeks ago and it was still due on the 30th March but now its been extended to 30th July.

I thought that 4 year old cars were one of the ones getting priority? Its been checked and is ready to go so it's very annoying.

They have also extended my Scooby to the middle of Jan 2022 for no apparent reason.

gingfto

RMS Regular
Drives
CLS500 (5.5)
Can't be, needs a valid NI MOT for them to extend...once the mainland MOT is up it needs tested here.

Chris0

RMS Regular
Mine wasn’t and was prioritised for an MOT when I called because of it
What number did you ring? Usual booking line ends in 3471 I think?
Mums mot is up in about a week and the only date I could get was end of March. Tried online and it told me to ring which never seems to let me get in the queue

Cro

RMS Regular
What number did you ring? Usual booking line ends in 3471 I think?
Mums mot is up in about a week and the only date I could get was end of March. Tried online and it told me to ring which never seems to let me get in the queue
Can’t remember mate sorry, this was back in September. It was whatever number was on their booking website, at that point you couldn’t book online it was only over the phone

MarkM

RMS Regular
I though all 4 year old cars were being done as usual!? Booked the M4 last week as it’s 4 on the 29th and got a text tonight saying they’re refunding me and it has an exemption until 29/07

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I though all 4 year old cars were being done as usual!? Booked the M4 last week as it’s 4 on the 29th and got a text tonight saying they’re refunding me and it has an exemption until 29/07

My mum Nissan Note is the exact same. Strange.

davyk31

RMS Regular
What way are tests working now? Is it a case of drop it at the door and they take it through as I assume they don’t allow you in the car with the tester now?

Duke

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf Gt
What way are tests working now? Is it a case of drop it at the door and they take it through as I assume they don’t allow you in the car with the tester now?
Yeah that’s what Larne was like at the start of the year. It seemed like only 10-15 minutes until it was completed

ShaunB

RMS Regular
Can't be, needs a valid NI MOT for them to extend...once the mainland MOT is up it needs tested here.
That's not true, or at least not my experience anyway.
My Daughters car on English plates is due its first NI MOT later this month, it has been extended until July

gingfto

RMS Regular
Drives
CLS500 (5.5)
(y) if that's the case I happily stand corrected.
They've must have changed/relaxed the rules further more recently then, even last month I know one had to do it's first NI and wasn't granted an extension.
The hole they're in must be getting bigger. Love to know the legalities of extending something that doesn't exist :joy: what a job she's doing!

No harm, but if it hasn't been on a ramp and checked I'd want it to be with the state of most english MOTs! lol

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I admitted defeat and accepted the X3 wasn’t going to get an extension, so booked an appointment last night for 30th March (it’s due 16th) which I didn’t think was too bad. Then I got a cancellation first thing this morning for Wednesday.

ShaunB

RMS Regular
(y) if that's the case I happily stand corrected.
They've must have changed/relaxed the rules further more recently then, even last month I know one had to do it's first NI and wasn't granted an extension.
The hole they're in must be getting bigger. Love to know the legalities of extending something that doesn't exist :joy: what a job she's doing!

No harm, but if it hasn't been on a ramp and checked I'd want it to be with the state of most english MOTs! lol
I understand where you're coming from.
It was purchased from Jack Reid cars, and serviced by them. One of her mechanic friends viewed the car with her originally, and the garage even offered to let him look at the car on the ramps.
There was no communication from DVLA on the extension, we just checked the government website after reading this.

Existing TECs for qualifying vehicles will be extended by a further four months from the date the existing exemption ends. This applies to private cars, light goods vehicles and motorcycles aged 4-9 years, which will expire between 26 March 2021 and 25 March 2022.

Four year old cars and motorcycles and three year old light goods vehicles due a first time test between the above dates will have a four month TEC applied. The TEC will be applied from the date your first MOT or Goods Vehicle test is due.

PieMan1

RMS Regular
Not really about availability.

I mot'd my car on the 20th of march, it failed.

went to book a retest and it's saying it's not due until 20/03/22?

I can't book a test and the government website says it's out of mot? any ever had this issue?

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Its turning into a bit of a joke now with MOT's TECs/Exemptions etc. No clarity or consistency. I've been just left up the swanny here for a couple of vehicles that supposedly had 12months MOT Exemption that now only have 9months. No time to book them before expiry and getting the "it is what it is" answer. Then i've got other vehicles that have had 15/18/24month Exemptions and again "it is what it is".

It's driving me mad!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Book them well in advance is my only advice. Mk2 is due mid May and I've just about got a date before the MOT was up. I'll probably get the reminder letter through in a fortnight.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Mines been pushed to October now after another check. It was due last July so that’s well over 2 years since it’s had a check over

Dave..

RMS Regular
Book them well in advance is my only advice. Mk2 is due mid May and I've just about got a date before the MOT was up. I'll probably get the reminder letter through in a fortnight.
I booked my van in Ards weeks ago. I never got a letter or any paperwork confirming the booking just what I printed off the computer.

Dervhead

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT
Just checked again today... I haven’t mot’d my car since august 19 when it passed, and it’s not due to be tested again until this august.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I booked my van in Ards weeks ago. I never got a letter or any paperwork confirming the booking just what I printed off the computer.

I meant the reminder letter to book. By the time the letter arrives there's no spots left. It's a disaster.

If it wasn't for the MyVehicle App on the phone I wouldn't have a clue what's due when lol

DreamTheater

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda Civic
I booked my car in for Ards last month and had no issues - went through the MOT on Monday evening. Place was busy with cars going through.

Dave..

RMS Regular
I meant the reminder letter to book. By the time the letter arrives there's no spots left. It's a disaster.

If it wasn't for the MyVehicle App on the phone I wouldn't have a clue what's due when lol
I didn’t get a reminder letter.