Whats going on with MOT Availability at the moment?

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Mines been pushed to October now after another check. It was due last July so that’s well over 2 years since it’s had a check over

Just checked mine, extended for fifth time now

536CF035-57B9-49FA-B0B3-022A2C9F47CA.jpeg

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Had to ring them in the end and they offered me a test a few hours later! Lol

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Hondus is up in May so I checked the DVA site just now. Current rules:

Existing TECs for qualifying vehicles will be extended by a further four months from the date the existing exemption ends. This applies to private cars, light goods vehicles and motorcycles aged 4-9 years, which will expire between 26 March 2021 and 25 March 2022.

Four year old cars and motorcycles and three year old light goods vehicles due a first time test between the above dates will have a four month TEC applied. The TEC will be applied from the date your first MOT or Goods Vehicle test is due.

Vehicles, including all private cars, motorcycles and light goods vehicles that are aged 10 to 39 years old must be tested before their existing TECs expire. A reminder notification will issue to you. Further TEC extensions will not be applied to these vehicle categories.

That's quite different from just before Christmas when the P* was called up for first MoT and I last checked.

I think the only advice, as others have said, is just book a test as normal when the car is due. If the car happens to qualify for an extension when it is due then the test will be cancelled and refunded so nothing to lose.

Don't chance it and leave it to the last minute. The criteria change all the time.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
If it wasn't for the MyVehicle App on the phone I wouldn't have a clue what's due when lol
I'm not quite as bad as you, but getting there :innocent: 🙈

Do you have a link for that? Couldn't find it in the Google store.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Earliest date I could get was 20th May..

Is that about right?
I had the same, worth dropping an email. I emailed the address that was posted in here saying I couldn't get one before expiry date, they said to email back the reference booking and what test centre I preferred. Had a phone call 15mins later from the test centre I wanted offering me a handful of slots, 2 or 3 of the slots were only a few hours away from the phonecall!

Edit: dva.customerservices@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Earliest I could get lastnight was the middle of next month, went on few mins ago and there are a pile for tomorrow morning :rolleyes: while I'm at work. I'll keep trying.

Ant

RMS Regular
what time do the cancelations etc get released at online, got the letter through this morning and can't get anything between now and 9th of july when it runs out (and i'm meant to be moving house that day ffs)

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
They're random, just keep refreshing the page, I got one a few weeks ago on a Sunday morning for that afternoon after doing that for a couple of hours.

'96dc2

RMS Regular
Anyone had an mot recently, heard they are being extra fussy! I had a car just pass and it went in with 1 sidelight out, only noticed at 10pm the night before and test was at half 8 next morning. Passed, no advisories. 🤣

works wonders sending the wife in with skin tight jeans on.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Not had any problems so far including one that was out of MoT for about a decade and another with the ABS light on!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Seemingly ABS light on is no longer an issue ? Although no light at all is an issue....as the light on is alerting the driver to a problem. Whether they ignore it or not.

Are vehicles still getting extensions ? I've 2 due in a couple of months that have both had a year already.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Not had any problems so far including one that was out of MoT for about a decade and another with the ABS light on!
I'd the VRS and Polo (off road for 12years almost) through recently and no worries either. Both had a fair bit spent on them in past while though.

Had heard a few people mention that they got hit hard though.

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
Focus MOT expires tomorrow, booked for the earliest date about 3 weeks ago which was 20 June hoping to get a cancellation, been trying most mornings and had nothing yet😂

Gavlar

RMS Regular
I had the same, worth dropping an email. I emailed the address that was posted in here saying I couldn't get one before expiry date, they said to email back the reference booking and what test centre I preferred. Had a phone call 15mins later from the test centre I wanted offering me a handful of slots, 2 or 3 of the slots were only a few hours away from the phonecall!

Edit: dva.customerservices@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk
☝️ try this

eamon343

RMS Regular
Mine went through with 3 warning lights on the dash, failed on a ball joint. The lights were dsc, handbrake and tpms all yellow. I thought they would have been mentioned?

Getting a retest in a decent time frame is difficult!!