Whats going on with MOT Availability at the moment?

acsmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra
So I took the Evo to get an MOT a couple of weeks back, and they failed me in Ards due to the clocks only being in MPH.

So I spent the money for new clocks and was about to book a retest. The site told me I couldn't book one because it wasn't due an MOT till September 2022.

I double checked and it has a years MOT.

All a bit weird really, all I can think is that they extended the MOT for a year without telling me?

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
So I took the Evo to get an MOT a couple of weeks back, and they failed me in Ards due to the clocks only being in MPH.

So I spent the money for new clocks and was about to book a retest. The site told me I couldn't book one because it wasn't due an MOT till September 2022.

I double checked and it has a years MOT.

All a bit weird really, all I can think is that they extended the MOT for a year without telling me?
I don’t know but my car was last in an mot centre 03/11/2019 and I’ve never been told it’s been extended.
F1BD8EEB-4189-408B-9112-08DCA95A86DC.png

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
That’s pretty dicky to fail you on that @acsmyth but I’ve heard Ards can be like that, I printed off some numbers and a KPH sticker to match the font of the original clocks and stuck them on the clock as it now goes up in MPH since conversion from Japan. it passed last time in Lisburn, it’s up again in October so will see what happens.

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
This is beyond a joke now. I have been trying to book MOT's for over 2 weeks now, through both the site and the phone and I'm getting nowhere.

I need the van for daily duties and I can't drive it without an MOT.

Can anyone point me in the direction of getting a date other than physically going to the Test Centre and trying in person.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
This is beyond a joke now. I have been trying to book MOT's for over 2 weeks now, through both the site and the phone and I'm getting nowhere.

I need the van for daily duties and I can't drive it without an MOT.

Can anyone point me in the direction of getting a date other than physically going to the Test Centre and trying in person.
I think I'm right in saying as long as your car is road worthy the police have agreed to allow you to drive it with no MOT?? Think there was a screenshot of that on here the other day?

I just persisted and got there in the end.

RevT

RMS Regular
I have tried all day and still got nowhere. I think the issue is my V5 is very old (2012) and it's not on their system. I can get in using the details from some of my other cars so it has to be something specific to the one I'm trying to MOT. I've tried getting through on the phone but it just hangs up on you so I have absolutely no chance of getting a test for it.

dva.customerservices@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk

Send them an email and ask them to confirm the details are on their system.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
I think I'm right in saying as long as your car is road worthy the police have agreed to allow you to drive it with no MOT?? Think there was a screenshot of that on here the other day?

I think one of the stipulations was you had to show proof of an mot booking

Dynam0humm

RMS Regular
Got my reminder in the post so had a look at booking and currently in a queue at least an hour long.

So just had a check of my MOT status on the .gov site and it's saying it hasn't been MOT'd since last Oct, yet on cartaxcheck.co.uk it's showing as due next month.

You just know it's a shambles when the official site is wrong but a third party site is correct.

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
What is the story with MOTs at the moment? The online system has turned into a complete and utter mess, an hour long wait with over 8,000 people in front of me in the queue, only to find out that there were no available dates anywhere.

How is it even possible to get an MOT at the moment, and what are you meant to do when your tax runs out in a few days as well?

I really can’t believe how much of a mess the system is in right now, and do they expect people to park their cars up and not use them because they can’t get taxed/mot?

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Wife's Mk4 golf is up at the end of next month. Couldn't book last Friday and it said online booking wouldn't be back up and running until Monday so I bought a Mk7 Golf for her on Monday instead :grinning:

• Haha
Reactions: ALN

scub

Banned
What is the story with MOTs at the moment? The online system has turned into a complete and utter mess, an hour long wait with over 8,000 people in front of me in the queue, only to find out that there were no available dates anywhere.

How is it even possible to get an MOT at the moment, and what are you meant to do when your tax runs out in a few days as well?

I really can’t believe how much of a mess the system is in right now, and do they expect people to park their cars up and not use them because they can’t get taxed/mot?
went to Balmoral today.
no difference from normal..
ie - failed for a feckin handbrake cable my mechanic said was sound...
apart from that - business as usual!

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Finally got through on the new website there and they have extended the expiry date for another 3 months.

Robin_Hood

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender
Managed to book an MOT last night..
Earliest date in New Buildings is December!

No Email confirmation, did get a booking confirmation number though.
Now the struggle to get a cancellation in the next few weeks..

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
The old system wasnt great but this new online system they have is a joke lol
I may just stick with the dates I have for the two MOTs or can you still ring up for a cancellation?

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
After waiting on the queuing system for over 3 hours I managed to get a date for the 3rd November for the Van and the 10th Dec for the jeep.

That's just what I did. I opened the site on a different monitor and just waited until it was my turn. The new online system isn't any better than the old one imo.

KevM

RMS Regular
We got dates yesterday but the system won't recognise its own reference to try and re-book a cancellation online

Bryan

RMS Regular
I have still got nowhere because my car doesn't exist apparently. Can't get through on the phone - just hangs up on you. Is there any other way to get something booked? I tried emailing but haven't had a response on that either.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I have still got nowhere because my car doesn't exist apparently. Can't get through on the phone - just hangs up on you. Is there any other way to get something booked? I tried emailing but haven't had a response on that either.
At this stage it sounds like your best bet is to tape a note to a rock and throw it through the test centre window. There was email addresses posted here before tired any of them?

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Does anyone know has there anything been put in place for people who need to renew their car tax but can’t get an MOT date for a month or more away?

I know normal rules are that you can’t tax a car without a valid MOT but surely they can’t expect people to just have to park their car up for a month because they can’t get an MOT date sooner than over a month away

jimc

RMS Regular
Drives
caddy
Daughter went online this afternoon changed her appointment for tonight in ards straight through

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Finally got one booked for the end of October, was the next available one I could get anywhere.

I never received any confirmation email after the booking but they’ve taken the money out of my account, has this happened to anyone else?