Whats going on with MOT Availability at the moment?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
My cars were called up already last year, one is on it's second now, lol. How on earth do you folks still get extensions???

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I heard yesterday that the MOT centre tender has been won by a different company. They are therefore going to be closing them all to install a new computer system.

Also, Maha who just installed all the new lifts are now potentially going to have them all removed if they don't come to an agreement with the new management company.

You couldn't make it up.

Like they're going to outsource it to a private company ? What could go wrong lol

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I had one on the Lotus, that's it, lol. None on the others. The P* even got called in with a valid English MoT 😅

It's so unfair :joy:

AidanMcG

RMS Regular
Drives
6R
My cars were called up already last year, one is on it's second now, lol. How on earth do you folks still get extensions???
Mine was tested back in January (thus was due again in January 2022) but was given a 5 month extension. I imagine though that's to give themselves time sort the current BS out

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Ridiculous the cues 😜 least Iv an nice ass to look at
4999AC70-65E6-4103-A930-64B05F68478D.jpeg

andy_b

RMS Regular
Wanting to change the vehicle I’ve up for test on Saturday. Website doesn’t recognise my booking ref, and can’t get anyone on the phone.. another £30.50 wasted 😩

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Wanting to change the vehicle I’ve up for test on Saturday. Website doesn’t recognise my booking ref, and can’t get anyone on the phone.. another £30.50 wasted 😩
It’s a complete sh1t show with the new system .my friend was saying who works in a centre that he cannot swop bookings around and get tests as and when needed like they could before .One of the few perks of the job he said has now gone .

TheLarneMan

RMS Regular
Drives
205GTI GolfR
Tried to book an MOT just there now.
Picked my center, time/date and added payment details. WHOOPS! An error has occured... No other information.
No idea if the booking was made or if payment was taken.
Bag o' 5hite...

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Tax expires tomorrow but cant get an MOT date until end of October, which I’ve already booked. Online system won’t let me tax the car because it’s got no MOT.

Absolute disgrace the lack of information to drivers on what to do in this situation, I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Absolutely no idea what to do, the whole thing is a ****ing mess

Ant

RMS Regular
just keep refreshing the page every so often, logged in this morning, earliest date was November for either mallusk/lisburn, after about 30mins got her car booked in for next week in Lisburn

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Tax expires tomorrow but cant get an MOT date until end of October, which I’ve already booked. Online system won’t let me tax the car because it’s got no MOT.

Absolute disgrace the lack of information to drivers on what to do in this situation, I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Left it a bit late surely if it runs out tomorrow ?

There's been a 2-3 month wait now for many months, so it's not a new problem

Boksic

RMS Regular

Drive on is what you'll have to do, and explain later if there's a problem. Send off an email on the contact us part of the MOT booking site, or the online tax site. If you get a reply happy days, if you don't, you'll be fine.

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
I tried to move my booking from the 23rd Nov to this Sunday. Just as everything completed it gave that error message and now the site doesn’t recognise my booking number!

So I don’t know if it’s this Sunday or the 23rd! I’ve emailed them but don’t expect a quick reply. 😡

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Left it a bit late surely if it runs out tomorrow ?

There's been a 2-3 month wait now for many months, so it's not a new problem
Was expecting them to come up with something by now or some sort of information for drivers because you know, it’s their job..

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Drive on is what you'll have to do, and explain later if there's a problem. Send off an email on the contact us part of the MOT booking site, or the online tax site. If you get a reply happy days, if you don't, you'll be fine.
Don’t really fancy taking that chance, could end up in a world of **** if insurance company gets snotty if I’m stopped

Boksic

RMS Regular
Don’t really fancy taking that chance, could end up in a world of **** if insurance company gets snotty if I’m stopped

Then you're asking a question you already know the answer to.

Keep trying for a cancellation for MOT, or check the times of public transport in your area while the car is parked up in its not road legal/questionably unroadworthy state due to not being MOT tested?

*Edit just to say, yes I am aware your car is more than likely fine.

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR

Maybe a stupid question, but you should have been able to tax the car before the MoT ran out? Then you could have kept on motoring until you got an MoT slot as long as the car is actually road worthy.

Without tax there is only one option - park it up, nowhere near a public road. Not even parked in your street, only off the road. Nothing else to do. And then keep refreshing the booking page throughout the day until a cancellation comes up.

Without tax you can't even drive to the test centre or a garage though. It's a proper hole to be in...

I don't think there is anything new here, this is how it's always been? Next time you tax the car, go for the six month option so the tax date ends up well away from the MoT date.

It's a pain when tax and MoT come up at the same time...

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Then you're asking a question you already know the answer to.

Keep trying for a cancellation for MOT, or check the times of public transport in your area while the car is parked up in its not road legal/questionably unroadworthy state due to not being MOT tested?

*Edit just to say, yes I am aware your car is more than likely fine.
Yes my car is perfectly road worthy thanks and I don’t need public transport I can use my parents cars but surely there must be a way around this for people in the same situation