Winter Tyres.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
I have a set of D3s on my Skoda and they're excellent, grip is good and they've worn well.

I was going with the D4 as they are the same price (£51 in 15”) as the D3 but have a B rating for wet grip and the D3 is C rated.

I have Nokian WR A3, can't remember exactly why I bought them over WR A4, maybe a better review somewhere, but they are great. Put them on one of the cars last year and have just kept them on. The wear over then year/8k miles doesn't seem any more than a normal tyre. Think they were £345 for 4 from Oponeo.
I can't compare them to any other winter tyres but they have been amazing in the snow and wet

I think the A4 is just the latest model? It’s an asymmetric tyre more suited to performance cars. Should do rightly on the Golf.

Nokians are fantastic too, stick with them.

Whether your car is 4motion or not is irrelevant. So many people say to me why bother with winter tyres on a 4wd car, but all cars have to come to a stop!

I’ve never got the whole “winter wheels” thing with regards to keeping wheels good. Unless they are polished or something, what difference will it make? Just keep them clean.

Was looking at the Continental 850 as they seemed very popular over on VWROC but I’m not sure they’re that much better than the Nokians.
The Continentals are £120 and the Nokians are £108 on Oponeo so £48 cheaper.

steaa

RMS Regular
Drives
DBP MK7.5 R
10/10 so far for the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s. No fuss at all over the past few days on roads which never see even a sprinkle of salt or grit

genman

G
OK...where is everyone getting their winter tyres....online or local...can't find main tyre places even listing winter tyres on their websites

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
OK...where is everyone getting their winter tyres....online or local...can't find main tyre places even listing winter tyres on their websites
There unlikely to have them on there websites and may even have to order them for you, tyre company’s here don’t stock many because they may not sell them and they end up sitting around for years and can be a huge waste/lose of money.

Gman

RMS Regular
Drives
Octavia and E39
Has anyone got the Michelin CrossClimate fitted? Thinking they could be an all year round option for the Mini

ive a pair on the front of our Yeti and will likely order some for the back now too even though the pirellis on there are near new. They definitely give a nice confident feeling on the road.
Might even get a set for the GTi, because I'm not sure I could be bothered with changing between winter/summer tyres for it either

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
Has anyone got the Michelin CrossClimate fitted? Thinking they could be an all year round option for the Mini

Im gonna put these on my car in the new year, They are pricey enough and I dont see many real world reviews regarding wear rates.

'96dc2

RMS Regular

I put a set on the wife’s car and tbh I’m not happy with them in the snow! Spinning all over the place.

Think i’ll be asking for a summer and winter set and just change over as needed

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Running Pilot Sports at the minute and they're absolutely lethal. They've only a few thousand miles left on them now so time to change - any all season recommendations? I can't be arsed with two sets of wheels any more.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I put a set on the wife’s car and tbh I’m not happy with them in the snow! Spinning all over the place.

How are they in standard winter conditions? Tbh that’s why I have 2 sets. I always remember someone saying that all season tyres don’t excel in 1 particular season, they’re just ok in them all.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE

I ended up going with Nokia WR A4 for the Golf and WR D4 for the Mini. Not that much hassle to swap them over every year. Also, my Golf is a lease so I'll not need to replace the tyres on it before I hand it back.

'96dc2

RMS Regular
How are they in standard winter conditions? Tbh that’s why I have 2 sets. I always remember someone saying that all season tyres don’t excel in 1 particular season, they’re just ok in them all.

Everyday they are fine, no issues. Just in the snow I wasn’t happy.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything

I have them on the work van, and have been running them all year round for near 2 years and was happy enough with them until Friday.
It was the first proper snow I have encountered with them and they were as useless as normal tyres, just dont compare to the full winters I had on in the last snow.

Agree with you there, think 2 sets is the way to go, am doing 40kish per year in the van, so it almost works out that I need 2 sets of tyres per year anyway for me.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Ive a set of MV1s with Goodyear winter tyres on and another set of MV1s with Bridgestone summer tyres on (due 2 new summer tyres next spring).
I think I got the 2nd set of MV1s for about £100 so not breaking the bank to run 2 sets per year.
Also allows me to respray whatever set isn't being used after the wife has rammed them up against the kerb.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
I went for a set of rear Conti winters for the Merc. Couldn't get any winter or all season for the fronts on Oponeo...

Seem to be doing a great job with the weather over the past week!