BMW E46 M3, the story so far...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

White_Lady_170

RMS Regular
OP
White_Lady_170
Drives
2004 E46 M3
Having dealt with the mechanical aspects of the car and decided to put the bad experience behind me I set off for Portstewart to see what was required bodywork wise. Unfortunately I was greeted with dash lights galore. EML, Traction Control, handbrake, Tyre pressure monitoring, you name it, it was lit. To make matters worse, the car was driving like a bag of *****, constantly stuttering and kicking the traction control in at very low speeds. Back to the mechanic I went thinking to myself, will there come a point in time this car doesn't have an issue? My patience was wearing thin.

It was discovered that the driveshaft sensors were at fault, rust sets in and expands the areas of contact, basically telling the car its losing traction when it isn't. The driveshafts came out and new, non-corrosive items were made to order and fitted.

Another unwanted bill paid, I finally made it to Portstewart and had "the talk".

Inspecting the car yet again, the roof was showing signs of rust, where the front windscreen meets it at the corners. The front wings were looking even worse than before, the rear arches were even showing similar signs. I had a massive stonechip on a poorly painted bonnet, and the front bumper had taken a stone badly as well. The wing mirror base plates were suffering the same rusty fate and it was eventually decided with what was essential and then what was left, the whole car was to be sprayed, including the 4 rims. A date was set and another order placed with The Country Garage, 2 brand new front wings and quite a few fixtures and fittings to leave the car as perfect as possible.

Just some of the rust bubbles and other small blemishes with much of the imperfections being difficult to photograph.

The list

So with there being a few weeks until I dropped the car off for this complete, windows out, doors off, wheels off, bumpers off, makeover... I turned my attention back to the interior.

White_Lady_170

RMS Regular
OP
White_Lady_170
Drives
2004 E46 M3
Having come from an E92 I really felt the steering wheel in the E46 was a let down, obviously worn more than my previous one but just didn't feel as nice, so I placed an order with Royalsteeringwheels. I went for a re-trim in smooth nappa top and bottom with perforated sides, M coloured stitching and asked for the whole wheel to be made slightly thicker, as the E92 would have been. Needless to say, I'm very pleased with the result.

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
Fair play for sticking with it after all the issues you found, will be a keeper when you are finished tho, money well spent!

ciarandeery1

RMS Regular
Drives
205 gti
Great work on the car! As said before it's ok for people buying these but they don't understand the maintenance cost and proper upkeep performance cars require! Well don though! That wheel looks immense also!

White_Lady_170

RMS Regular
OP
White_Lady_170
Drives
2004 E46 M3
Knowing the car was going to be unavailable for a few weeks while it was being painted, I took it a few drives to get a feel for how it should have felt from the day I bought it, the change was unbelievable. It feels planted all of the time, rides fantastic on the new suspension and just felt so much better. I had forgot to mention previously that when the suspension was installed, any bushes that were tired got replaced with powerflex ones. Everything came together very well and the car feels much more solid. However I had a strange grumbling noise on several journeys and came across this one day.

The power steering reservoir was bone dry, so with this in mind, it really was the perfect opportunity to fit this at the same time as fixing the power steering cooler which was cracked and had been the reason for the leak.

Great mod for the money and really sharpens the whole thing up just that little bit more.

Last edited:

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
I looked at 4 'cheap' M3's last year and they all had some of the problems you've had with yours.

Some of the maintenance history with them was terrible. One hadn't seen a service in 5 years. I was probably expecting too much for my budget but glad I didn't take a chance on a rough one in the end.

Finding a decent one is obviously hard these days, good to see you're sticking with it. (y)

White_Lady_170

RMS Regular
OP
White_Lady_170
Drives
2004 E46 M3
Fresh power steering fluid and the quickrack fitted, I headed back up the road and dropped the car off, went back over what had been discussed and left knowing the car was in the best possible hands having seen the finish on some cars that had been sprayed by the same bodyshop, I was confident the finished result was going to put a smile on my face.

Back at home I rang Autowindscreens and asked them to arrange with the bodyshop to have the windscreen replaced as this had a stonechip and was suffering badly from being pitted and in low sunlight, was borderline dangerous as I could barely see out of it. They assured me the replacement would be like for like, as the original was an optional extra from the factory with UV protection and tinted sunstrip, I wanted the new one to be the same.

So new windscreen (rear window removed and re-fitted too), new wings, new splash guards for the front arches as these were tired and battered, new kidney grilles, new side indicators, new window strips, new wiper panel as this was badly faded by the sun, new seal for across the top of the bumper since the old one was beyond its best and poorly fitted, I assume after the first re-spray and new BMW roundel (the rear was already new, as was the M3 badge from having the bootlid done by JKC) along with all the other fiddly bits on my list, all that was left was a fresh coat of paint and the fitting of everything purchased. Here is a few progress pictures and the final result.

Massive thanks to Alan, the car is finished to a very high standard and was swiftly, well, slowly and very nervously and cautiously... brought home and after a day of lugging stones to make a ramp, is now tucked away from the harsh winter weather, can't wait to get it out again this spring/summer.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
LOL, what an absolute nightmare you're having! If you didn't laugh you'd probably cry :sob:. The only consolation to the whole thing is that you are going to have a corker when you're done. Fingers crossed your run of bad luck is over (y).

I came very close to buying 1 before the TTS, but hearing all this I'm really glad I didn't. I couldn't have coped!

White_Lady_170

RMS Regular
OP
White_Lady_170
Drives
2004 E46 M3
I looked at 4 'cheap' M3's last year and they all had some of the problems you've had with yours.

Some of the maintenance history with them was terrible. One hadn't seen a service in 5 years. I was probably expecting too much for my budget but glad I didn't take a chance on a rough one in the end.

Finding a decent one is obviously hard these days, good to see you're sticking with it. (y)

This one wasn't that cheap, good history, really talked up by the dealer and had been used as their personal car for a period of time, so everything as you can imagine was very unexpected.

pablo

RMS Moderator
its an E46 - will have a few more surprises for you Im sure :worried:

looks amazing now though, imola is a cracking colour in them.

White_Lady_170

RMS Regular
OP
White_Lady_170
Drives
2004 E46 M3
What colour did you go for in the wheels? Or just a generic gunmetal?

I'll be honest, i've no idea what the proper name for the colour is, but as you can see I ditched the diamond cut or polished finish as it's just too hard to keep. Really happy with the new colour though, think it goes perfect against the red bodywork and isn't too dark.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
What a great thread and now... car. Hope you get many thousands of enjoyable miles out of it. I fell in love with the E46 M3 after @big_pete gave me a run in his but I fear owning one for me now is gone for many of the reasons you've detailed.

Out of interest, did you return the car at any time to the dealer?

White_Lady_170

RMS Regular
OP
White_Lady_170
Drives
2004 E46 M3
What a great thread and now... car. Hope you get many thousands of enjoyable miles out of it. I fell in love with the E46 M3 after @big_pete gave me a run in his but I fear owning one for me now is gone for many of the reasons you've detailed.

No, I didn't as the car had been parked up for the best part of the winter and it was well into the New Year before I discovered most of the issues. The initial findings were just minor niggles, probably to be expected with a car of this age so didn't want to be running back and forward moaning over them. Any window of opportunity I may have had to go back had been and gone by the time the major issues had become apparent.
Was this sold by a dealer in Bangor??
No, the car didn't come from Bangor.

Steviegsi

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
Nice turn around. But I certainly wouldn't let any of that put anyone else off. As problems go, you could have had much more hassle than you did. Apart from the paint, the rest of the problems seem to be niggles to be expected on a 10 + year old car.

I've had mine as a daily driver for almost 3 years, and although it's starting to get a bit shabby now after a few winters and generally not getting washed as much as it should, ive not had any major dramas yet. Tyres, servicing, a few bushes and an alternator refurbishment in 30k has to be decent value for money.

My front wing is starting to bubble like yours, and I've a stone chip on the rear quarter that's started to rust because i ignored it to be sorted this year though. ****ing cars.

You've got a nice one now, which is the main thing.... enjoy.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos

I've had three and I'm going to buy another. I really shouldn't have sold my Imola car it was a genuinely good example.

I'm purposely going to buy a tired car and restore it though. The amount of "mint" low mileage M3's we have worked on that while are nice cars would still need bits and pieces painted, trim replaced etc to leave them truly immaculate is unreal.

I would rather skip the premium, buy an honest rough car and spend the money making it a genuinely good car.

However if the car in this thread could be purchased I would be very very very interested. Cash sitting here waiting to buy an M3 :grinning:

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Great read.

Not surprised an E46 is giving you this grief to be honest but kudos for sticking with it as many, many others would have shifted it on at the first sight of trouble.

I hope you get plenty of good use from it :grinning:

Jordy

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi / E46 M3
You'll be pleased to know the drivers airbag is under recall.

Booking mine in soon to get sorted.

These cars all need some work IMO, I spent nearly £3k on mine in first 6 months just fixing the little bits that annoyed me.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.