BMW E46 M3, the story so far...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I don't want you to feel I am criticising you or the car by the way. I absolutely love the level you are going to with it and Imola is the nicest colour in an e46 m3 IMO.

I agree that the fitment of those parts is shocking! The cracked springs and things is part for the course with them, as is shoddy repainting lol but I have alot of experience with them now.

My first one was a freshish car when I bought it (a damn expensive car too lol) it has non stop niggle after niggle and had seen poor bodge paintwork by the dealer we bought it from which saw rust break out quickly too. It put my wife off the car and we ended up parting ways with it after 6 months. I had much better experience with the two that followed however.

Keep up the good work, a good M3 is a sound investment and a wonderful car to own and drive.

White_Lady_170

RMS Regular
OP
White_Lady_170
Drives
2004 E46 M3
F10 gear knob is next on my list. Did you have to swap over the gaitor or just the plastic frame?
Gaitor comes with the F10 one so you just need to re-use the frame from the M3 and glue the gaitor around it, bit fiddly hence why i used a load of clothes pegs to hold it all together.
I don't want you to feel I am criticising you or the car by the way. I absolutely love the level you are going to with it and Imola is the nicest colour in an e46 m3 IMO.

I agree that the fitment of those parts is shocking! The cracked springs and things is part for the course with them, as is shoddy repainting lol but I have alot of experience with them now.

My first one was a freshish car when I bought it (a damn expensive car too lol) it has non stop niggle after niggle and had seen poor bodge paintwork by the dealer we bought it from which saw rust break out quickly too. It put my wife off the car and we ended up parting ways with it after 6 months. I had much better experience with the two that followed however.

Keep up the good work, a good M3 is a sound investment and a wonderful car to own and drive.
Don't worry, I'm not taking anything to heart. I understand the points you've made and agree I could have had to deal with far more serious issues. At the minute the car has barely turned a wheel since coming back from being painted so really at this point I am just counting down the weeks until I get to enjoy it for really, what will be the first proper time since I have bought it. All being well of course.

pablo

RMS Moderator
It was inspected and seems to be holding up well. With it not being a young enough car to benefit from the convertible axle carrier panel fitted to address the subframe issues, I dare say it may need attention at a later date, however it was pointed out to me that I'm not the sort to be hooning 24/7, nor do I have a hydraulic handbrake sitting in the cockpit, so touch wood, it's not something that's going to become a major issue anytime soon.

See above re subframe. Money wise, I sold the 335d for just over £17k, wanted decent money in my pocket to put towards the house and felt that buying from a dealership would give me that option but in reality I didn't have much left to play with when all was said and done.

No, no programming was required, I had read the same as yourself but discovered that not to be the case when I kept reading and after I had it fitted.

Unexpected work being the main aspect of what this thread is. Nice and shiny and advertised as immaculate in this case.
Gearknob definitely is a must as the original is terrible and always shows signs of wear, another thing that was pointed out to me is the original actually illuminates more of a red colour than the orange that the rest of the dash illuminates, the F10 knob is a perfect colour match.

A lesson learned indeed, I'll find it hard to go back to anyone other than a main dealer for a used approved car which my 335d was and I would far rather take a chance on a private sale, albeit it would need to be a cherished car owned by an enthusiast.

I disagree, in no way do i feel that a shock not from an M3 and indeed not even from an E46 or a control arm sourced on the cheap to make it through an MOT is acceptable. In respect of the paint, if it was original I would agree but this first re-spray had been carried out at the request of the dealer while in his ownership and in my eyes should not have been in the state it was after that period of time.

Depends on the individuals standards. It was very hard for me to articulate and photograph the defects that were present, but neither myself or Alan felt that anything other than a complete re-spray was going to cut it. By the time you spray the wings you are into the doors at least to blend it, the bonnet and bumper needed done, as the bonnet was to a poor standard and the bumper was chipped. The roof needed done as it was showing signs of rust where the rubber of the windscreen was starting to wear away. The rear quarters were to a poor standard and had minor bubbles, the corrosion warranty only covered the spraying of the face of the bootlid so really if you've made it the length of the rear, you're just going to do the whole thing. Well that's how I looked at it anyway and I wouldn't change my decision.

You made the right call for sure but the point was it would have got away with less.

I could write a book on e46 ownership myself mate. They are great cars but just at that age between daily and classic. Soon they will all be 20k Minter's.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Another ex E46 M3 owner here. No wonder there are so many ex owning members here - they are great cars. Enjoyed following the thread and as many have said fair play for letting us all know the nuts and bolts of what's turned into a bit of a resto.

I think as a long term ownership prospect it's a sound investment despite the pain up front not to mention the enjoyment of a well sorted M car. Great car, underrated chassis IMHO which felt as at home at the ring as it did on a run to Tesco.

marcusplowman

RMS Regular
Drives
Yes
Ive probably spent close to a few K on mine since I bought it (coincidently a year ago today) on nigly wee things including a similar leak in the boot like yours. I didn't even see mine until I went to pick it up :grinning:

Conor

RMS Regular
Another owner here that has ended up spending much more than anticipated to get it right having bought a good example, but with no real regrets about it. Mine is currently getting some work done before it heads for it's Inspection II in Prentices, then it's going into a shed under a cover for a couple of years, hopefully the money spent now will come good down the line.

I have never been so smitten with a car TBH, they're absolutely brilliant, and to see the values going the way they are just makes it all the more satisfying!

Great work by the way @White_Lady_170, you'll be laughing in 5 years time if you keep it that long. Just look at the way the E36s have went, a minter was £4k not that long ago!

White_Lady_170

RMS Regular
OP
White_Lady_170
Drives
2004 E46 M3
Pulled this out earlier, nearly forgot about it. As the house and garage isn't finished yet it still doesn't have a home. I bought this quite early on, after having purchased the car and before I spent any money on it so unfortunately, it does just have standard spec and doesn't take into account the aftermarket suspension fitted. The bottom corner has the owners name, date of purchase, VIN etc and as you can see the sellers will put your own reg on. They can customise it how you wish, if you have brake/suspension upgrades etc etc. Thought it was quite neat and will probably hang it in the garage. Purchased from blackartgraphics.com for anyone who wants to take a closer look at their work.

Ricky302

RMS Regular
Drives
S8,M3,GTIR,XJR
Am i the only one reading this thread that doesn't think it's all that bad lol? Yes the respray isn't ideal but there would be very few cars that age that won't have paint blemishes all over?

The suspension and things is perfectly acceptable on a 10yo+ m car. Part of the fun getting it back to as new?

Definitely could have been worse, ask me how I know.

DSC_0010.JPG

RyanM3

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
Brilliant work and fair play on your effort to make it into fine example once again.
Does the f10 gear knob shorten the stick? I find the standard gear stick is very long and quite ugly!
Also just a question for fellow m3 owners on here, is anyone else still on original factory paint apart from myself?

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Brilliant work and fair play on your effort to make it into fine example once again.
Does the f10 gear knob shorten the stick? I find the standard gear stick is very long and quite ugly!
Also just a question for fellow m3 owners on here, is anyone else still on original factory paint apart from myself?

In all my years of owning them and the amount we have detailed I have never seen a single one with factory paint once they were 3 years old and beyond. 99% of them have at least had a front bumper painted due to chip rash

Jordy

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi / E46 M3
Nice touch for the garage wall.

F10 gear knob is smaller and gives better shift feel reading reviews from members on cutters.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
So true Chris. We see cars advertised regularly and they're described as mint, as new, needs nothing, freshly serviced etc etc. When in actual fact they get a wash/detail/tyre slick and look great to the untrained eye.

Really these cars need a full inspection on a ramp with someone on hand who knows what to look out for.

It's so easy to get conned into a car by shiny paintwork, a full service book and a set of branded tyres! Doesn't always mean the car is issue free.

Yeah I've seen that first hand many times! Best of all was the "MINT" Sonderlack Grey E36 M3, after a lengthy trip to pick up the missus and a friend who was in the know about E36's then on to Randalstown where I was told the car was only to discover it was actually in Toome, I discovered a cracked headlight, wonky front bumper, heavily worn seats, crusty rear arches, cut springs and peeling lacquer :confounded: not to mention all the sh*te they'd left lying around inside the car. To say I was furious was an understatement!! I think the photo's they used must have been from a few years before. Hard to get straight car these days.

Love the E46 in Imola Red though (y) Get a Gruppe M filter on it :cool:

Last edited:

MILLER_102

RMS Regular
Drives
CBR1000rr
Stunning work, I always said if i buy another e46 this is the route I would go down, my 04 silver grey was the cleanest after looking at near 20 of them, and to be honest it had minor rust at the bottom of the sills and stone chip that went untreated. Alans work is superb, iv seen a lot of work he's done over the years and he's done mechanical work for me swell in the past.
Absolute gent and would highly recommend

RyanM3

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
In all my years of owning them and the amount we have detailed I have never seen a single one with factory paint once they were 3 years old and beyond. 99% of them have at least had a front bumper painted due to chip rash
I must be in the minority then. Although once it comes out of the carcoon in the springtime i am bringing it to get the front painted as it has some road rash as you say.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I must be in the minority then. Although once it comes out of the carcoon in the springtime i am bringing it to get the front painted as it has some road rash as you say.

Unless you've owned it from new, how do you know it's original paint though?

Steviegsi

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
Unless you've owned it from new, how do you know it's original paint though?

Because everyone on here that has ever bought an M3 had to look at 20 of them before they found theirs, and it's literally the only good one left in the UK. Apart from me.... I bought the first one I looked at and near 3 years later it's starting to dissolve :sob::party:

That's not a dig at yours BTW Ryan, it looks very clean in your thread.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Because everyone on here that has ever bought an M3 had to look at 20 of them before they found theirs, and it's literally the only good one left in the UK. Apart from me.... I bought the first one I looked at and near 3 years later it's starting to dissolve :sob::party:

That's not a dig at yours BTW Ryan, it looks very clean in your thread.

Literally the only good one left in the uk?!
I looked at a few before buying mine a couple of years ago and it was in original paint , in brilliant condition and not a sign of rust anywhere....there's plenty of good ones still out there but you do have to be prepared to look around and travel.
Also...Mel's old e46 M3 was another cracker

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I got lucky with mine also, was the first i looked at seriously and turned out to be in fantastic condition. Only needed a set of RTABs on the rear and when I eventually resprayed the front bumper for road rash that was entirely due to chips suffered in my ownership period.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I got lucky with mine also, was the first i looked at seriously and turned out to be in fantastic condition. Only needed a set of RTABs on the rear and when I eventually resprayed the front bumper for road rash that was entirely due to chips suffered in my ownership period.

Your Estoril car was lovely.

Wonder where it is now?

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Your Estoril car was lovely.

Wonder where it is now?

Guy on M3Cutters in England has it. Bought it off @Mook after his wife got it from me.

*Edit - this was it most recently, he's fitted carbon wings and race seats (n)

12070918_517235445116957_1344894922_n.jpg

11117084_1601585440079985_1798378122_n.jpg

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Guy on M3Cutters in England has it. Bought it off @Mook after his wife got it from me.

*Edit - this was it most recently, he's fitted carbon wings and race seats (n)

12070918_517235445116957_1344894922_n.jpg

11117084_1601585440079985_1798378122_n.jpg

Ruined!

Mine needed a fair bit of TLC when I bought it but I was happy enough sorting the issues as it was a good low mileage base to start from. Ended up like this -

View attachment 135178
View attachment 135179

Stunning, probably the nicest E46 M3 that has been on RMS.

Any excuse to post a pic of my old car, boy did i love that machine! :heart:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.