BMW E46 M3, the story so far...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
All this is why I looked at a few m3's and never bought one. every one had issues and I wasn't going to spend this sort of money and hassle fixing them.
AG is brilliant and a absolute gent.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
What a lovely car and good to see you are bringing it back to the condition it should be in.

Don't be put off, as it's been said many of these are common issues.

A good example will stand by you as there aren't many good examples about.

Keep up the good work. :grinning:

richie_mck

RMS Regular
That one is definitely a keeper after all that expense. Looks fantastic and knowing the quality of Alan's painting it'll be top notch.

Sharkey

RMS Regular
This is a brilliant thread. Not many on here would post up what you have.

Practically a new car after all the work, and done right this time. Have you checked the rear subframe out of interest?

Without giving away any figures, have you overspent by a huge amount? i.e. could you have bought a 12k example for the money you've spent on the work and car together?

Reactions: BLS

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
@White_Lady_170 did you have to do any programme to the steering modules when you fitted the clubsport rack?

It's something I always wanted to do as the steering in my 330ci sport always felt nicer then any of my M3's. However I have read it can make the DSC quite intrusive unless the module gets reprogrammed?

@Sharkey that was more than likely a 12k car to begin with, Imola manual facelift with decent spec

Sharkey

RMS Regular
@Sharkey that was more than likely a 12k car to begin with, Imola manual facelift with decent spec[/QUOTE]

Really. Its been a while since I looked at them. Going up in value then.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Lovely looking car you've ended up with and despite everything you now have peace of mind for a long time and a lot of big stuff out of the way. Nice to see it getting the loving home it deserves.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
@Sharkey that was more than likely a 12k car to begin with, Imola manual facelift with decent spec

Really. Its been a while since I looked at them. Going up in value then.[/QUOTE]

I sold my 02 manual imola with 89k in Nov 15 for £11500 and it had very little in the way of spec. However it was absolutely out of the box

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Looks like you've had a fair amount of unexpected work to do to the car but fair play, it's easy to punt on as it is but more satisfying (if costly) to put things right properly. As has been mentioned, too many of these cars are left nice and shiny in ads and advertised as mint but are neglected in other areas, particularly at the age the E46 is now reaching.

Love the steering wheel change, and also the new gearknob - I changed the gearknob in my old E46 M3 to a Clubsport one and the shorter throw just felt so much better, the OEM item is ridiculously tall when you compare them. Respray looks fantastic also, I've seen a few cars done by AG and they've never disappointed - definitely one of the best sprayers in the country.

lee2050

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
Fantastic read and fair play for sticking. If you ever consider selling this in the future, please PM me!

Dervhead

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT
As has been mentioned, too many of these cars are left nice and shiny in ads and advertised as mint but are neglected in other areas

Never a truer more spoken. Fell for something like this myself on the classifieds here many moons ago. My own stupidity of course. A lesson learned the hard way for me was don't let a straight car shined up fool you. I'm pleased to say I'm substantially wiser regarding used cars with slick, chatty, private sellers these days :oops:

caveat emptor

Great work for sticking with it & wish you all the best with it in future.

Last edited:

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Am i the only one reading this thread that doesn't think it's all that bad lol? Yes the respray isn't ideal but there would be very few cars that age that won't have paint blemishes all over?

The suspension and things is perfectly acceptable on a 10yo+ m car. Part of the fun getting it back to as new?

pablo

RMS Moderator
par for the course with an E46 lol. Could be a lot worse thats for sure. And in fairness it didnt need a full respray with new front wings and trims etc but the investment will certainly be worth it with a properly mint imola vs a "nice example"

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Am i the only one reading this thread that doesn't think it's all that bad lol? Yes the respray isn't ideal but there would be very few cars that age that won't have paint blemishes all over?

The suspension and things is perfectly acceptable on a 10yo+ m car. Part of the fun getting it back to as new?

Seeing all the issues either amended properly, or upgraded above OEM standard is really impressive though. (y)

But absolutely fair play @White_Lady_170 This will be an smasher by the time you're done. Love an imola E46, and yours is beautiful. Proper enthusiast's thread.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE

I agree. Done pretty much the same to mine + brake upgrades. Only had half of mine painted though! I would have done the rest if I'd kept it.
People buy these at "reasonable" money, run them on a hobo budget and then ship them on when they need money spent.
FWIW I think you did the right thing painting the whole car and by getting it done by one of the best painters in the country.
Great progress (y)
Making me want another one :worried:

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Oh I agree totally, it's the exact same route I intend going with my next one and he will have a properly outstanding car now.

This thread backs up my own reasoning that there is no point paying a premium for a "mint" car. I'm going to buy a rough car and restore it. I will know what I have, I won't be disappointed at any stage etc

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
It would be hugely satisfying if you had the time, patience and garage space to do a restoration. There was a guy on here with a phoenix yellow E46 M3 a few years back who did a fantastic job on his, car looked like new underneath.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Is it a fair comment that a car with rust will always deteriorate in the same places no matter how good the repair?

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Is it a fair comment that a car with rust will always deteriorate in the same places no matter how good the repair?

Unless it's cut out an fresh metal put back in. @White_Lady_170 made a good call putting new wing on. Genuine ones aren't cheap, so it's good to see someone doing it properly.

If that car is ever up for sale, it would be a fantastic buy

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution

Yeah it's standard second hand car ownership. Not bad at all.

White_Lady_170

RMS Regular
OP
White_Lady_170
Drives
2004 E46 M3
Looks awesome now, never done with these cars though, dare I ask, what is the rear subframe like????
It was inspected and seems to be holding up well. With it not being a young enough car to benefit from the convertible axle carrier panel fitted to address the subframe issues, I dare say it may need attention at a later date, however it was pointed out to me that I'm not the sort to be hooning 24/7, nor do I have a hydraulic handbrake sitting in the cockpit, so touch wood, it's not something that's going to become a major issue anytime soon.
This is a brilliant thread. Not many on here would post up what you have.

Practically a new car after all the work, and done right this time. Have you checked the rear subframe out of interest?

Without giving away any figures, have you overspent by a huge amount? i.e. could you have bought a 12k example for the money you've spent on the work and car together?
See above re subframe. Money wise, I sold the 335d for just over £17k, wanted decent money in my pocket to put towards the house and felt that buying from a dealership would give me that option but in reality I didn't have much left to play with when all was said and done.
@White_Lady_170 did you have to do any programme to the steering modules when you fitted the clubsport rack?

It's something I always wanted to do as the steering in my 330ci sport always felt nicer then any of my M3's. However I have read it can make the DSC quite intrusive unless the module gets reprogrammed?

No, no programming was required, I had read the same as yourself but discovered that not to be the case when I kept reading and after I had it fitted.
Looks like you've had a fair amount of unexpected work to do to the car but fair play, it's easy to punt on as it is but more satisfying (if costly) to put things right properly. As has been mentioned, too many of these cars are left nice and shiny in ads and advertised as mint but are neglected in other areas, particularly at the age the E46 is now reaching.

Love the steering wheel change, and also the new gearknob - I changed the gearknob in my old E46 M3 to a Clubsport one and the shorter throw just felt so much better, the OEM item is ridiculously tall when you compare them. Respray looks fantastic also, I've seen a few cars done by AG and they've never disappointed - definitely one of the best sprayers in the country.
Unexpected work being the main aspect of what this thread is. Nice and shiny and advertised as immaculate in this case.
Gearknob definitely is a must as the original is terrible and always shows signs of wear, another thing that was pointed out to me is the original actually illuminates more of a red colour than the orange that the rest of the dash illuminates, the F10 knob is a perfect colour match.

Never a truer more spoken. Fell for something like this myself on the classifieds here many moons ago. My own stupidity of course. A lesson learned the hard way for me was don't let a straight car shined up fool you. I'm pleased to say I'm substantially wiser regarding used cars with slick, chatty, private sellers these days :oops:

caveat emptor

Great work for sticking with it & wish you all the best with it in future.
A lesson learned indeed, I'll find it hard to go back to anyone other than a main dealer for a used approved car which my 335d was and I would far rather take a chance on a private sale, albeit it would need to be a cherished car owned by an enthusiast.

I disagree, in no way do i feel that a shock not from an M3 and indeed not even from an E46 or a control arm sourced on the cheap to make it through an MOT is acceptable. In respect of the paint, if it was original I would agree but this first re-spray had been carried out at the request of the dealer while in his ownership and in my eyes should not have been in the state it was after that period of time.
par for the course with an E46 lol. Could be a lot worse thats for sure. And in fairness it didnt need a full respray with new front wings and trims etc but the investment will certainly be worth it with a properly mint imola vs a "nice example"
Depends on the individuals standards. It was very hard for me to articulate and photograph the defects that were present, but neither myself or Alan felt that anything other than a complete re-spray was going to cut it. By the time you spray the wings you are into the doors at least to blend it, the bonnet and bumper needed done, as the bonnet was to a poor standard and the bumper was chipped. The roof needed done as it was showing signs of rust where the rubber of the windscreen was starting to wear away. The rear quarters were to a poor standard and had minor bubbles, the corrosion warranty only covered the spraying of the face of the bootlid so really if you've made it the length of the rear, you're just going to do the whole thing. Well that's how I looked at it anyway and I wouldn't change my decision.

Jordy

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi / E46 M3
F10 gear knob is next on my list. Did you have to swap over the gaitor or just the plastic frame?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.