Mk7 Golf R

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Had this 2 years this week, the longest we’ve ever kept a car. I know all owners say the same, but I do think it’s down to them being a perfect all rounder. I’d possibly flirt with the idea of changing it for a Tiguan or an NX300, but Mrs Lyons really doesn’t want to part with it. Just about to renew the warranty too so it will be staying for a while anyway.

I will be driving it a bit more now as Mrs Lyons will be using the X5 on the days she’s off. I toyed with the idea of a bit more noise but I think any of the exhaust options would be too much for her. I got reminded of the option to code the flaps open so will do that first to see what I think.

Treated it to a much needed birthday wash today. I would love a full day to get the buff out I got last Christmas!

B872619A-083C-428A-9783-D3C36B68EEDB.jpeg
0D300E6C-4BFC-4537-9C48-6A1840AB17F4.jpeg
525157D3-F648-4067-8996-601B9ED60105.jpeg
BA7A78B8-FBEC-4E36-9842-6B37E40A21CD.jpeg

Last edited:

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
Had this 2 years this week, the longest we’ve ever kept a car. I know all owners say the same, but I do think it’s down to them being a perfect all rounder. I’d possibly flirt with the idea of changing it for a Tiguan or an NX300, but Mrs Lyons really doesn’t want to part with it. Just about to renew the warranty too so it will be staying for a while anyway.

I will be driving it a bit more now as Mrs Lyons will be using the X5 on the days she’s off. I toyed with the idea of a bit more noise but I think any of the exhaust options would be too much for her. I got reminded of the option to code the flaps open so will do that first to see what I think.

Treated it to a much needed birthday wash today. I would love a full day to get the buff out I got last Christmas!

View attachment 220006 View attachment 220007 View attachment 220008 View attachment 220009

Is it weird I prefer the first two photos?

This is the normal state of our Golf too

JackMO

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTI
Car looks really great. One of these could be a nice option when I eventually move from my ED35. I can’t see that be for a while though.

Nice pad too!!

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I just washed my Golf R too, I've mine a year now and I love it.

That said I've lately found myself thinking of selling it to buy something really cheap as I don't need such a good car when it just does school runs and commuting 90% of the time.

Just put 4 new Michelins 4S on it and serviced it 2 days ago.

Last edited:

Dan

RMS Regular
I always forget these are so capable with 4wd and 300 bhp. Any plans to change the wheels?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I’m a big fan of the standard Cadiz wheels. I have 2 sets, the winter set are fitted at present and are a bit rougher. Ideally I’d prefer a set of Marseille wheels but not overly fussed if I can’t get any.

Reactions: Dan

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I’m a big fan of the standard Cadiz wheels. I have 2 sets, the winter set are fitted at present and are a bit rougher. Ideally I’d prefer a set of Marseille wheels but not overly fussed if I can’t get any.

The 19 inch Cadiz they got else where look fantastic. The 18s sit a bit far in for me, though my R is currently on them for winters.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
The 19 inch Cadiz they got else where look fantastic. The 18s sit a bit far in for me, though my R is currently on them for winters.

I have spacers on. Aye the south got 19’s, but I don’t want anything bigger.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I've had mine 3 years now and jsut turned 50k miles. Great for covering ground fast. The only thing that still annoys me is the DSG box at low speed, I should've bought a manual @Lyons (y)

Good to see another used on a daily basis. I've 29k on mine and it's isn't 2 years old yet. It may not see the end of the month with me though but that's another story.

I think you and I are the only people who don’t like the dsg box.

You are, it's great!

BBSBOY

RMS Regular
I don't like the DSG box either, the BMW 8 speed ZF box and the DCT box are much much better. Seem to give less problems too. DSG does stupid things most of the time and gets annoying.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I have to say the DCT is the best, gets it right all the time
Dsg is good though, does what you want most of the time
Zf 8 speed is a good auto but nothing more, don't try to tell it what to do, it just ignores you!