New Caterham 420R

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
It arrived:laughing:

So I spent a few hours cleaning it (a new car I know!) and going over it with ACF50 going over everything metal I could see as it will never be out in the wet so I want to keep it like new. Really looking forward to clean dry roads now...................

The big Brian James was going back to the south of England empty!

DSC_0013_zps5tda3tld.jpg

DSC_0014_zpsh1nx63xb.jpg

DSC_0016_zpsxecnlny9.jpg

DSC_0019_zpsvseq5tft.jpg

DSC_0015_zpsaem3hhux.jpg

DSC_0017_zps306gnhmn.jpg

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
For the same money I could have bought -

F80 M3
Audi R8
996 Turbo
Nissan GTR
etc.

After a while they would all become a 'normal' car to me and I would be bored of it. I want a second car for pure fun to drive and fun to tinker with. This is it IMO.................unless I feel I need a 620S!

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Awesome Mike ! Huge well done and totally get what you mean about this being a purely fun car is comparison to what you could have got. Driving with your hair on fire once a week should be compulsory

Con S3

RMS Regular
Drives
RRS SVR
This is first class. Must admit I know nothing about Caterhams. I'm guessing though, if your at the same price point as some of the vehicles you have listed above, then this one is pretty special? Please excuse my ignorance.

What's the engine spec on this one, performance details etc? Health to drive by the way. Love the colour combo too. All the best of luck with it.

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Awesome Mike ! Huge well done and totally get what you mean about this being a purely fun car is comparison to what you could have got. Driving with your hair on fire once a week should be compulsory

Glad you see what I mean, my mates all look at me like^o)............................why didn't you buy a such and such. I have had a few Porsche's as second cars and fairly soon they become normal, the best example of this was when I had a 1988 Porsche 928S4 Sport (or SE, You may have to look em up), 5.0 V8 manual with close to 400bhp, 1 of 28 cars ever sold in the UK and the only silver one, I loved it but soon I realised I enjoyed driving my 115bhp TDCI Focus just as much. The 928 was a monster but the Focus was more fun to steer. The 928 would probably be worth a fortune now though...................................that I regret:sob:

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
This is first class. Must admit I know nothing about Caterhams. I'm guessing though, if your at the same price point as some of the vehicles you have listed above, then this one is pretty special? Please excuse my ignorance.

What's the engine spec on this one, performance details etc? Health to drive by the way. Love the colour combo too. All the best of luck with it.
A dry sump 2.0 duratec mildly tuned to 210bhp in a car that is not much more than 500kg, hence the 420 number, 420 bhp per ton, the same as a 458 Ferrari.

S3 chassis (small, porkers or people much over 6ft won't fit!) 13" wheels, lowered floors, full weather gear with interchangeable aero screen, 4 pot brakes, carbon dash, MOMO snap off wheel, heater, leather, track day roll bar.

56oval

RMS Regular
@56oval might remember this drag between my old R400 and another users V8 sprint car......................

I most certainly do Mike, i think there is more footage of that race somewhere, rikky's rv8 has some serious grunt, the new car looks fantastic htd :grinning:

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Absolutely class Mike, love it (y)

If you ever have it a drive out the Dromore Rd, feel free to call in so I can see it. Coffee will be provided :p

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Fantastic! I love the Gulf scheme, great choice.

When you look down that list of alternatives I'd struggle to look past any of them personally, but I admire the passion the owners of these sort of cars really have for them.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
For the same money I could have bought -

F80 M3
Audi R8
996 Turbo
Nissan GTR
etc.

After a while they would all become a 'normal' car to me and I would be bored of it. I want a second car for pure fun to drive and fun to tinker with. This is it IMO.................unless I feel I need a 620S!

Then again those are all 'normal' cars in the traditional sense of the word to start with in my opinion and all built to be able to be used daily. The Caterham is a different beast altogether and built without the compromise that it has to double as a get to work car.

Looks fantastic in Gulf colours and will be great fun I'm sure, health to drive!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.