New Caterham 420R

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
30 fun miles today 'trying' to keep the revs down!

DSC_0031_zpsz68q2vww.jpg

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Unreal, how have i missed this. That is absolutely superb, i would say you are a very happy man opening the garage door to that.

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
That does look lovely. Admittedly I couldn't justify the cost of a Caterham, but these types of car are so much fun.
Hard to justify when you compare one to a Porsche or the like of but then they are mass produced cars. You have to compare apples with apples, against Ariel, Morgan, Ultima, AC Cobra replicas, KTM etc. they are much the same cost.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Is that Ricky McGimpseys V8 car it's running against?

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Unreal car mike, surprised I missed this thread . it looks fantastic in the gulf colours .

Mike what sort of times did your old one run on the 1/4mile , looks very quick .

13.272 @ 104mph, the other car did 12.903 @107mph....................I should have put my aeroscreen on for the drag day, I might have got the win there! Traction was the big problem on every run.
Is that Ricky McGimpseys V8 car it's running against?

Yes, it's Ricky's V8 sprint car on slicks.

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
My mate was up seeing it the other day and asked about the roof, I had never took it out of the boot so I thought, lets fit it!!!! I have previously had the pleasure of fitting a roof to one and driving it a few hundred miles so I knew what to expect!

Firstly, it's not handy put on
Second, it looks bad, like a pram
Thirdly, its a nightmare to get in and out, you have to get your head and torso in over the far seat and then pull your legs in, if there's a passenger you get very well acquainted:eek:
A nice touch is you can zip out the back window so you don't boil on a warm day
I would like a half hood as its smaller and easier to fit but then I never intend the car to be out in the rain, or even get wet!

I will leave fitting the aeroscreen for another day!

DSC_0043_1_zpszek0h3fa.jpg

DSC_0041_1_zpscdng7dvu.jpg

DSC_0042_zpsf7osbd8p.jpg

Last edited:

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Class , will you be bringing the 420 to Bishopscourt any time ? look forward to seeing I and might get a run against you ;-)
Yes, I intend to do one anyway, Caterhams are not much good for drag racing, not enough bhp or traction. What are you running?

Neil@rockvale

RMS Regular
Yes, I intend to do one anyway, Caterhams are not much good for drag racing, not enough bhp or traction. What are you running?

Yes I seen the way the old one struggles for traction in that vid , still bloody fast tho so the new one should be very quick . As for my beetle it runs 12.6 @ 107mph.

Con S3

RMS Regular
Drives
RRS SVR
I could definitely justify the cost of one of these.

Such great driving cars. The colour combo on this is outstanding too (that may be the second time I've stated that too lol but sure it is!!).

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
I could definitely justify the cost of one of these.

Such great driving cars. The colour combo on this is outstanding too (that may be the second time I've stated that too lol but sure it is!!).
Funny you should say about the colour, its not a colour I would ever have ordered but when I was over in Caterham I saw a 360R there in the Gulf colour and out of all the cars it was the best looking one so when I saw this 420R I was immediately interested.

The gulf 360R is on the front right...........................
DSC_0434_zpsnncaxxuh.jpg

Con S3

RMS Regular
Drives
RRS SVR
First class @mike150

I wouldn't have choosen it either to be honest but when you see it...........it just looks right!

This is probably my fav car on RMS at the moment and there's some nice metal out there! Good luck with it bud!!

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
Drives
911Turbo
Stunning motor - always admired them and you were right to pick it over a normal car like a R8 - for sheer manual driving pleasure it will be hard to match.

Jet9

RMS Regular
I would like to see a picture with the steering wheel attached - lovely car.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.