New Caterham 420R

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I can't believe I'm saying this but a shorter reg would be nice, more so that you can have a smaller number plate on the front of anything.

What a toy, you must be chuffed. Roll on some good days so you can enjoy it.

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
I with you, I've already been looking although I've always been of the opinion that personal regs are a waste and just something else to sort out when you change the car.

The weathers pants atm, when it is good the roads have been salted and the rest of the time it's pissing:worried:

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Thanks to Neil@rockvale I got rid of the surf board sized plate on the front bound to help the aerodynamics................

DSC_0058_zps6kfc5rwu.jpg

Laundrymike

RMS Regular
Drives
T4, S3, Mini
Would you not get away with a vinyl one stuck on the bonnet?

Shane you have to run a front plate at all, especially on a car like that!

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Would you not get away with a vinyl one stuck on the bonnet?

Shane you have to run a front plate at all, especially on a car like that!
My Westfield had a plate stuck on the bonnet but I wasn't fussed on how it looked, I just didn't like the full sized plate. It's not noticeably smaller, well hopefully not to the law anyway!

Neil@rockvale

RMS Regular
Looks great Mike . I was honestly very tempted to drive to ballynahinch and hand deliver these so i could get a nosey but next time im in that neck of the woods ill give you a shout .

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Fitted an aeroscreen today, they add about 10mph and save 10kgs, it's not exactly the right weather for one just yet though! It only takes about 5mins to change between aeroscreen and windscreen.

Really liked the look of a carbon one and I already have a black composite one but the fact that I'm not sure I could see enough with lowered floors I bought a clear one, expensive at £210 for a bit of Perspex but hey ho.

I don't think its as good to look at aesthetically but the view out is unbeatable:laughing:.

DSC_0071_zpsvbjmhttx.jpg

DSC_0070_zpsiee2parn.jpg

Conor

RMS Regular
Awesome, and fair play! I remember being smitten by them when Top Gear had the R500 on, and the way it moved around the track made it look absolutely insane.

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Gave her some loving, up on stands, wheels off, polished arches, polished wheels inside and out, did tyres inside and out and then cleaned the whole exhaust system. Then took it out for a run when the sun went down, fantastic experience on such a night..............though the lights are parrrp so best take it easy!

The Cat I'm talking about not the BMW!

DSC_0084_zpsqooblgt2.jpg

Last edited:

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Lovely car batman!

I seen this at the last cars and coffee, the fit and finish is excellent.

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Well it's sold due to a bad relationship with the dealer and to a lesser extent, Caterham.

The car never ran when cold from the second it arrived in a trailer to me, the dealer, Williams, said they all do that, I accepted that it needed miles on it but that was a while before the weather was good enough, to cut a long story short, after proving this untrue and a chat with Caterhams CEO, they remapped the ECU but then it ran rich, then the rev counter went on the blink and then the thermostat bust. Meanwhile the aeroscreen that I got with it didn't fit and Williams didn't care and wouldn't refund me.

Williams didn't want to know, another chat with the Caterham CEO, they shipped the car back and allegedly fixed it though that took a month.

By now I decided I didn't need the hassle and got another dealer to commission sell it as Caterham didn't want it back due to the I'll feeling and Williams offered me an insulting price though I wouldn't give them another penny anyway.

All I have to say is Chapman Cars are great, Williams Automobiles are terrible and I doubt I'll ever buy another Caterham. Shame as my 07 R400 was brilliant and I regretted selling it. I regretted buying this one.

BTW I did start at legal proceedings under the consumer goods act 2015 but I have enough hassle in my life right now and the possibility of court was not something I needed!

* NOW SOLD * Caterham 420R 695 miles

Last edited:

dave b

RMS Regular
Drives
Panny Turbo
Good result Mike for all the bad luck you had. Hopefully that's it fixed for the next owner
That supercharged M3 is only a phone call away :innocent:

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Unlucky buddy at least you got out any plans for the next toy.
Everything from an MX5 mk3 to an Audi R8 V10 cabrio. I was even considering a Ferrari California but I couldn't stomach the price.

Something fun is the main criteria and just cause you spend more doesn't mean it's better in that respect. Problem is I have OCD when it comes to condition, that normally equals expensive!

Lately I've been thinking M3 E46 and E90.

Then a 370z? I loved my 350z

Nissan Gtr, bit dull to drive I think.

I'm indecisive

Last edited:

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
What a nightmare. Absolute **** bags for not just giving you your money back either.
I couldn't understand why neither Williams or Caterham didn't seem to care. Their customer care is non existant though they have a 12 month wait on new cars so my car sold for more than I paid for it.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
If it's out and out fun you are after having owned both the E46 is much more entertaining than the E92.

I love my E92, it is probably the best all round car I have ever owned and I can't see me selling it for a long time but I would love another e46 sitting beside it.

What about a 981 Boxster Spyder Probably the best thing I have ever, ever driven. Not too fast to make use of, gearbox that is just perfection and the noise. Plus roof down motoring. A sound investment too

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
If it's out and out fun you are after having owned both the E46 is much more entertaining than the E92.

I love my E92, it is probably the best all round car I have ever owned and I can't see me selling it for a long time but I would love another e46 sitting beside it.

What about a 981 Boxster Spyder Probably the best thing I have ever, ever driven. Not too fast to make use of, gearbox that is just perfection and the noise. Plus roof down motoring. A sound investment too
I had a 2000 Boxster S a long time ago and I did like it but I have to say it wasn't fun to drive, the lack of an LSD and the engine in the back made it a bit sterile though the noise, styling and driving dynamics made it a nice car. A 350z is twice the fun imo but the convertible is a styling disaster. A Boxster Spyder is beautiful but too new and too expensive I feel. Great suggestion though.

I like the idea of an M3 cabriolet but see they don't have the same popularity as the coupe, I guess that's the extra weight and maybe the car doesn't look as good. I have to admit I have never driven an E46 or E90 M3. I'll have to fix that soon.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.