Ni Mot Checks (full List Of What They Look For)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

djlee_dj

RMS Regular
Drives
you do not need reverse for mot

when have they ever asked you to put it into reverse in the test ? they dont !

and ''if its there it nees to work'' is only really for fog's and spare tyre legal tread ..... everything else you need ! brakes, sides, dipped, main, horn etc.

but no reverse is needed.

Lee

RMS Regular
Thanks Pablo and djlee_dj. :laughing: I've never actually taken a car of my own for MOT as I'm only 17, so I wasn't 100% sure.

Steveo@modifiedni

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3/Triumph
I MOT'd a mk 3 golf with no reverse lights.

Is it possible to get MOT pass info for motorcycles? The SV has its first MOT this year and I hardly use it, so wanna know what to look out for...

You dont have a wild lot to worry about.

My dad got his 2002 Fazer MOT'd at the of last year and the guy complemented the bike, sat on it and tested brakes and checked for leaking oil seals etc ... that was it :grinning:

Red Head

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Le Mans
You dont have a wild lot to worry about.

My dad got his 2002 Fazer MOT'd at the of last year and the guy complemented the bike, sat on it and tested brakes and checked for leaking oil seals etc ... that was it :grinning:

I'm just scared in case I have to change the exhaust, don't think they will permit burbles and grumbles in the test centre :worried:

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I know its come up before but just noticed it wasnt on that check list...

The old speedo problem of having to read dual speeds of MP/H and KM/H... Now a lot of imports its touch and go if they say anything to you or not, ive had it a couple of times where they just tell me to sort it for next year...

But today i had my MOT (first one in N.I) and first thing he said as he looked in for the mileage was "Thats not a dual reading, but if its the only thing today i'll see what i can do for you". Tried chancin my arm sayin i thot it would be fine as it passed SVA like that :p Needless to say he said "Aye but they pass anything in England" lol!!!!

Thankfully the car was in "excellent" condition so he gave me the form with all the details of the brake text, emissions etc but no certificate :confounded: Wrote on it that i need an V27A check done to get my certificate.

Basically all i have to do is come back and get someone to look that ive fitted a dual reading speedo and i'll get my certificate, thats it :confounded: Just thot that might come in handy for future reference... Some might not get so lucky but i got a sound bloke today (y)

blacklightningcivic

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda Civic
Also most mot centres now check that the load and speed rating of the tyres are correct

And on commerical vehicles are fitted with "c" rated tyres

Red Head

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Le Mans
I'm just scared in case I have to change the exhaust, don't think they will permit burbles and grumbles in the test centre :worried:

Nothing to panic about as the box is e-marked and road legal, relief! :laughing:

Gavlfc96

RMS Regular
Drives
Ek4/fr ibiza
does a car pass the emmisions test with a 4 branch and decat or do i need to change them back to standard

djlee_dj

RMS Regular
Drives
if you dont want to risk it, put the cat back in couple days before and give her a good roasting to the mot centre gav.

duzy's passed the emmisions ok with his 4branch and straight through .... he didnt even put the cat inplace

Claire

RMS Regular
Drives
Cherry Parrr!
I have 2 bald tyres on the front of my car, i was just gonna stick my vtr wheels on the front and leave the saturns on the back, think this would be ok? (new tyres r gonna take 2 weeks coming in...but MOTs on Sat) As far as im aware as long as they the same either side its ok, is this true?

Lee

RMS Regular
I THINK that would be ok, as you say just make sure the fronts are the same, back are the same!

Don't take it from me though.

Claire

RMS Regular
Drives
Cherry Parrr!
lol thanks, we'll im hopin it will. Id just change the back ones but i cant get one of my centre caps off..haha - i kno! :p

So bcuz of that and the fact that my back tyres are perfect i thought frig it! lol

Lee

RMS Regular
Wemen :party:

Ah right, well the centre cap has to come off at some stage lol.

I reckon you'll be ok but maybe get a 2nd opinion because I don't want to be the reason your Chicken Paxo fails the MOT lol. Good luck

Claire

RMS Regular
Drives
Cherry Parrr!
hmmm id 2 rather strong men yank and pull at it, as well as taken a plunger to it!! :p neither worked but sure until it needs to come off it can stay put!

As for the MOT preper for an ass kinkin if she fails ;) ill keep u informed!! lol

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
touch my ass the there shall be consequences dear ;) your centre cap is stuck worse than an austrian family in a cellar. and i told u i was right about the wheels :p

Claire

RMS Regular
Drives
Cherry Parrr!
I wont even ask what the consequences are..im petrified already!! :p:p

ok ok ill chance it, u's can go halfers on the retest!!! ;) lol

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
As long as the tyre size for the fronts (or the rears) are of equal size then your fine, doesnt matter what type of wheels they are, none of their concern really... You might just have an aquired taste :p

Claire

RMS Regular
Drives
Cherry Parrr!
O aye Hot Wheels lead the way!! :p

It actually levels it out better, no magherfelt spec now, 14s on the front, 16s on the back is the way forward haha

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Hold on, do you not need the same size of wheels all round even if the tryes arent the same on the front as rear???

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
nope, ive put a few cars through now with 17's on rear and 15's on front

J Man

RMS Regular
Drives
EK9
What about engine management light, and my car is sitting really low, the tyres would hit archs when turning tight corners, it is getting raised at lunchtime here hopefully, mot after work :confounded:.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
If theres a light on that shouldnt be it'll fail, get the bulb out!!!! But more to the point, why is your engine management light permanently on anyway?!?!?

If tyres hit arches = fail... Cannot have contact with bodywork under normal circumstances as stated here :grinning:

J Man

RMS Regular
Drives
EK9
apparently it a sensor :confounded: and needs reset just.
And yeh mechanics should have the car sitting like boat by now i hope

J Man

RMS Regular
Drives
EK9
also clio airbags light was on and it passd alright, that was wiring under seat apparently

nmdconceptz

RMS Regular
What about a minor oil leak have one and its only on when the car is on but it stops soon as the car is off have put that liquid stuff in to stop the leak but hasnt kicked in yet.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.