Ni Mot Checks (full List Of What They Look For)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

s3_trev

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 8P
If it was me I would try and get some sort of resistor or device to plug into the tyre end of the TPMS to turn the light off. To me that would be the best option all round. Hopefully you havnt left it to the last minute and you have time to possibly source something like this.

Sorry I cant answer your question but I think when it comes to lights its a fail. It is with the airbag warning light anyway.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
does a cracked windscreen fail if its about no more than a square inch area?
Is it in the line of sight? Or tucked in a corner or bottom of windscreen for example? If its line of sight you'll fail, if its not obvious and out of line you should be grand :grinning:

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Not sure if this was asked elsewhere.. can't remember, so apologies if its a double question

Standard 17" alloys on the i30 came fitted with a TPMS (Tyre pressure monitoring system)
However I have fitted the 18" rx8s, which obviously dont have any form of TPMS, thus flagging up on the dash with an illuminated TPMS light, signalling a fault because it cant pick up the TPMS monitors... because there not on the car.. duh..

If i turned up to MOT with 4 legal tyres on the 18's, everything being solid and legit etc.. yet had this TPMS light on my dash due to the fact the standard 17s aren't on, because there winter use only if anything, and the tyres are low tread when getting MOT'd.. am i going to fail? because a tell tale light, TPMS, is on my dash?

It was on the car when I got it, not something I'd need as Im rather good at telling when my tyre pressure is not right.

Would it be an instant fail? or is there some form of discretion.
As part of the new changes TPM system indicating a fault is now a reason for rejection. The sensors are usually built into the valve, could you not just have the valves swapped onto the 18's?

steenson

RMS Regular
Drives
misc 80's/90's
JCLC - youre the main man..... could you please explain the rules for catalytic converters and the current MOT regulations?

Much appreciated

Andy

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
A pic would be useful, but a small crack like that will probably be ok

Is it in the line of sight? Or tucked in a corner or bottom of windscreen for example? If its line of sight you'll fail, if its not obvious and out of line you should be grand :grinning:

thats grand was just checking the meantime mot not due til next feb anyway so im sure the winter may well make it slightly bigger :p

steenson

RMS Regular
Drives
misc 80's/90's
Thanks man so even if its early-mid nineties and will pass the emissions with flying colours it needs one?????

bollox, anyone know where i can get a few jdm honda cats?

GolfMkV

Drives
Golf MkV GT TDi
I have an airbag light on my dashboard plus a warning message "Airbag fault" flashes up on the dashboard display when I turn on the ignition. Took my chances last Friday with an MOT and the car was turned down with one fault, the airbag.

I've been told by an independent garage which usually does my work that they have traced it to a faulty airbag module located in the central column under the radio etc. They say that only VW can fix this as the new module has to be programmed by them. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of this and if this is the case as a few other people I have been speaking to say you should be able to install a second hand module and just reset the warning lights which will clear every thing. This route would be a lot less expensive that having to go to VW and get a new module installed and programmed.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

jcraigynwa

RMS Regular
Drives
astra coupe se2
whats the story with HID headlights and the mot have fitted these recently but am hearing some right horror stories the kit in question is a 6k kit sidelights and dipped beam with the full beam changed to ordinary white xenon bulbs the car has manual headlamp levelling and no headlamp washers

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
whats the story with HID headlights and the mot have fitted these recently but am hearing some right horror stories the kit in question is a 6k kit sidelights and dipped beam with the full beam changed to ordinary white xenon bulbs the car has manual headlamp levelling and no headlamp washers

Headlamp levelling is a nonsense as there are exclusions and they have no way of testing.

Headlamp washers are a nonsense too as there are plenty of factory cars with no washers. But the MOT dimwits will still insist that cars that never left the factory with washers, are supposed to have washers.

Well thought out rules those.

Ge0rge

Banned
Just noticed when replacing rear brake pads that the yellow bump stops at the top of my shocks are badly perished, fail?

Gaz86

RMS Regular
The requirement to have washers for HID's is total bulls**t anyway, squirting a bit of water at a dirty headlight is gonna make f**k all difference unless there's a washer arm present to physically wipe the dirt away

TunaRG

RMS Member
Drives
Evo 8.5 FQ300 MR
Dose any know wether or not Rota GTR drifts, with slightly streched tyres will go through?

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Dose any know wether or not Rota GTR drifts, with slightly streched tyres will go through?
probably not with all these new get up on their high horse rules..

our volvo passed with 3x 17s and a 16 rim a while back though :p

Hammath

RMS Regular
Drives
Sc3n3 Civic.
No you still have to book another re test within 3 weeks of the original test otherwise its a full test again.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.