Ni Mot Checks (full List Of What They Look For)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Had one on Frontera - weeping from rocker gasket. Used some of that stuff and it helped a bit.

Best bet is to clean the engine up well and hopefully it'll not be everywhere by the time you arrive...

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
question, my fiances old rover needs mot, driver window doesnt wind down, switch is broken, will this effect mot?? do windows need to be able to up and down??

nmdconceptz

RMS Regular
you will need it down for mot as they talk to you through it mate.

I ****ting them if this dont pass for this leak as im carless then lol

pablo

RMS Moderator
quick Q - can you MOT a car with no rear seats or belts? ie a clio with the rear interior stripped out.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
So long as it looks properly constructed and is secure I don't see why it would. The 182 is defo the better buy!

TheLarneMan

RMS Regular
Drives
205GTI GolfR
Anyone with throttle bodies that aren't covered, e.g. by an airbox = FAIL!

It's now classed as a fire hazard...

TheLarneMan

RMS Regular
Drives
205GTI GolfR
balls!

foam filter help no?

Nah, I'll probably need something made out of metal.

The official line was 'firetrap missing'.

Apparantly they had a few rallycars in recently that backfired and a few flames spat out of the bodies. It's now part of their checklist.

Oh, and my emissions were 11.4% :oops:. Something's amiss somewhere!

All getting sorted next week.

pablo

RMS Moderator
I remember my pinto on 45s spitting flames out the carbs. slightly scary lol.

the foam filters are no good either as they soak with petrol fumes etc and become a molotov cocktail :p

Pipercross make a sporty CF airbox for carbs but I guess it would be easily adapted for TBs.

TheLarneMan

RMS Regular
Drives
205GTI GolfR
Richard Longman did a tasty carbon airbox but they have stopped trading now. I'm waiting to hear back from Jenvey.

syecadelic

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo IX
question to do with registration light bulbs... i'm assuming red would be a no no? i remember reading online that having a green/blue or red sidelight bulb at the front was not allowed as blue/green is emergency, and red is a 'stop' light, therefore at back only...
so having red reg bulb lights should be ok? as they still light up the plate clearly.

matthew070

Drives
Honda Prelude
A word of warning to those going for the MOT - check underneath for oil leaks!.Mine failed yesterday for 'excessive oil leak from engine'. I had not bothered to MOT wash underneath and a fair patch of fresh oil was underneath as I had not detected a leak. One powerwash later and a tightening of a couple of bolts plus a fresh piece of rubber and I passed the re-test this morning (£18.50).

The moral of the story is look underneath the car and give it a wee wipe, saves time and money!

i had a 106 with oil dropping on the mot guy's head and it passed it was great

AndyG

RMS Regular
With a rear foglight will the switch have to light up to say the foglight is on? And what height does it have to be off the ground?

johnm

RMS Regular
on the sames line, where would I get a fog light switch. found some on ebay & that but there 15 bills...aye, sound! and other ones say it'll take a week for deliver but need to get it sorted quickly. cheers!

syecadelic

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo IX
on the sames line, where would I get a fog light switch. found some on ebay & that but there 15 bills...aye, sound! and other ones say it'll take a week for deliver but need to get it sorted quickly. cheers!
Maplin have a wide range of light up switches iirc, alternatively a motor factor store or halfrauds

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.