What is your worst/most ridiculous and best/easiest experience when selling your car ?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Ive had years and years of good sales, never a problem... Until a few months ago... A well known young young car buyer/seller through Facebook and jon44, does a bit of dealing in silvias and the likes.. Id bought parts off him and chatted away so was friendly enough with him, premier edition type r civic running hondata etc, High miles but cheap for the spec, deal was done, wanted me to do a 50 mile drive to collect the deposit from him lol eventually gor a bank transfer and he was due to collect on Tuesday, no word and on Wednesday his bird rang to say insurance was too dear so she would call the next day with her granda as he had trade, fast forward to the day after they bought it and I got a message from him saying the 2 front mud gaurds were missing and there was a wire hanging down underneath(lambda plug as it wasnt needed with ecu), all stuff he should have noticed when buying, anyway I said whats your point and he said nothing im just saying...next thing him and a few mates landed to my door at 10pm looking their money back over fcking splash gaurds on a 12 year old civic lol I agreed to fix it and when I thought about it I realised holdvon, if theyll land to my house over splash gaurds what will they do over a gearbox etc, so I told them the next day ill just take the car back, handed them the cash and they said well its for the best it happened now and not a few months down the line when something big has went wrong.. Lol fack aff! Im sure a good few on here would know him. It was my call to Give the money back as I couldnt be bothered with people like that, only thing that annoyed me was he buys and sells and knows rightly it was sold as seen.

... this made me really angry lol

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
When I was selling the R32, I had a guy drive from somewhere near Ballygowan. He had a good look round and a quick test drive. He left a deposit and picked it up a few days later with the full asking price.

The S3 was just as easy, lots of silly calls from the usual "will you take 8k tonight cash m8" mob. Got a call from a dealer in England, asked a few questions and asked if I could meet him at city airport. He took a few pictures, sent them to his boss and had a quick test drive. Full asking price transferred there and then by bank transfer. He took the car straight to the ferry.

Thankfully I've had no bad experiences as yet, apart from the usual stupid texts.

j44nty

RMS Regular
My highlights over the years are:

Ford puma with a damaged passenger side. Polish lads turn up start the engine hand me the full asking price and fill in the new keeper slip from a driver license that didnt match any of them.

Citroën ax
Dodgy geezer turns up late at night hands over full amount as i answer the door without looking at the car keeps his face hidden again false documents. Fast forward 8 hours and the police are questioning me why my ax was through the front window of the off licence in rathcoole.

Mr2 roadster
Some young fella who openly told me he lost his license and wanted something back end drive for a bit of staging. Filled out his address as just east belfast. Handed over notes at full asking price in a plastic bag all different notes some scrumpled up. I checked them counted them and waved him off. His passenger spent the time rolling a spliff before they headed off.

In the past 10 years or so however I have had pleasent experiences thankfully.

scubbay

RMS Regular
Drives
10 second Imprez
Had an m3 for sale and bunch of lads from Draperstown came up to see it, while they looked over the car, one of them proceeded to walk over to the side of my house and took a pish against the wall....
Standard Mid Ulster acceptance. You are now mates. Not unusual to have a yellow wall up this way. When I had the filling station it had a separate purpose built loo (fully plumbed unisex) outside. Many times I saw men pish against the wall of it.

wings

RMS Regular
Drives
MK 6 GTi
Not car related but we had a guy in yesterday I couldn't quite believe.

"Hi I bought a pair of snickers trousers and they shrunk in the wash. I rang snickers uk and they said they would refund them so I'm here to collect the £65."

"Ok sir lets see them"

"Sure I threw them out as they didn't fit anymore."

"ok sir can I see your receipt?"

"No I lost it. Not sure I definitely bought them here but your a snickers retailer so I want my £65".

Sure no problem, no product, no receipt and no idea. Are you sure you didn't have 2 pairs? Sure take £130 to be safe. :mad:

I had experience with a customer like this who thought it was a good idea to fly his DJi drone in the snow lost it and came back demanding a full refund because when he hit the return to home button it never came back and when he was asked did he set this feature up he hadn't got a clue

stevensti

RMS Regular
Drives
slowly
My most memorable was when selling my Vectra a number of years ago. A girl rang me to see if the car was still for sale and that she need a replacement as hers had been hit in an accident and need a car to ferry her family around in. She turns up with her dad and a mechanic who start looking round the car. I had told them that the timing belt needed changing and I would knock a couple of hundred off for this. The mechanic is poking and proding under the bonnet making noises about the clutch which was fine as it had only been serviced and given a full bill of health the week before, and the girl hands me an envelope for the full asking price £1800 as says I will take it. Right love 'mon into the house and we can fill in the paperwork. Her dad jumps at me and nearly chins me saying I have stolen her money and that I have forced the sale on her since she is a single vulnerable women. The envelope was quickly hand back and all 3 told to hop back into their car and fook off.

2 days later young lad turns up and says I have been waiting until pay day to buy this. No test drive just him and his mate hand over the money less the cost of the timing belt again and off he went.

Cro

RMS Regular
When I was breaking the old 182 a guy had come out to lift the engine and the throttle bodies, had them all ready to collect and sitting in the garage for him. Cracked open the door and he proceeded to point things out in the garage he wanted to buy, felt like supermarket sweep. He picked up all sorts of random parts, tools and a second engine and I totalled it up in my head and out came the notes.. Suited me fine!

Selling the Z the first time the guy who bought it was a body builder, got out and was MASSIVE, then his mate gets out of the car from presumably the back seat. He made the other guy look tiny and when a massive wad of 10s adding up to 12k were taken out for me to count I swiftly texted @Boydie to pop round incase my arse was turned into a yawning hippo. Lads ended up being dead on, but I didn't fancy that one all on my todd.

Clio 197 was easily the best sale, chatted to the guy over the phone. Picked him up for the airport, drove to my house while his Aston Martin mechanic went over the car and talked to me about the work done/spec. 10mins later money in my account and off they went to the ferry

Now the bmw on the other hand would put me off selling cars, 2 boys from birmingham on at me for ages about the car and no time ever suited them to get over. Finally a Friday came round where I was meant to be heading down south for a wedding but I stayed around and picked them up from a flight which was 4 hours late. They went over the car with everything bar an X-ray machine to make sure it was ok, pointing out every flaw in the car. Everything I'd already mentioned over the phone and in photos anyway. Went through every receipt and invoice in my kitchen when his mate decides to roll himself a fat one and get loose, now wants to talk about how much I earn and how much my house is worth. Tells me i'll take an offer 3k less than I was asking and after laughing in their face I say it's time to call them a taxi i've to get on the road to Dublin. Their reply was no... we aren't leaving. Couldn't get them out of the house for love nor money and now I was starting to lose the rag with them. @ChrisL was text to get round asap and we hear him coming round the corner in the jag like Ken block is filming a new gymkhana video outside. A few minutes later and a couple of phonecalls turns out he decided to take it, payment via 2 different bank transfers and some cash. Couldn't have been a more awkward sale

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
When I was breaking the old 182 a guy had come out to lift the engine and the throttle bodies, had them all ready to collect and sitting in the garage for him. Cracked open the door and he proceeded to point things out in the garage he wanted to buy, felt like supermarket sweep. He picked up all sorts of random parts, tools and a second engine and I totalled it up in my head and out came the notes.. Suited me fine!

Selling the Z the first time the guy who bought it was a body builder, got out and was MASSIVE, then his mate gets out of the car from presumably the back seat. He made the other guy look tiny and when a massive wad of 10s adding up to 12k were taken out for me to count I swiftly texted @Boydie to pop round incase my arse was turned into a yawning hippo. Lads ended up being dead on, but I didn't fancy that one all on my todd.

Clio 197 was easily the best sale, chatted to the guy over the phone. Picked him up for the airport, drove to my house while his Aston Martin mechanic went over the car and talked to me about the work done/spec. 10mins later money in my account and off they went to the ferry

Now the bmw on the other hand would put me off selling cars, 2 boys from birmingham on at me for ages about the car and no time ever suited them to get over. Finally a Friday came round where I was meant to be heading down south for a wedding but I stayed around and picked them up from a flight which was 4 hours late. They went over the car with everything bar an X-ray machine to make sure it was ok, pointing out every flaw in the car. Everything I'd already mentioned over the phone and in photos anyway. Went through every receipt and invoice in my kitchen when his mate decides to roll himself a fat one and get loose, now wants to talk about how much I earn and how much my house is worth. Tells me i'll take an offer 3k less than I was asking and after laughing in their face I say it's time to call them a taxi i've to get on the road to Dublin. Their reply was no... we aren't leaving. Couldn't get them out of the house for love nor money and now I was starting to lose the rag with them. @ChrisL was text to get round asap and we hear him coming round the corner in the jag like Ken block is filming a new gymkhana video outside. A few minutes later and a couple of phonecalls turns out he decided to take it, payment via 2 different bank transfers and some cash. Couldn't have been a more awkward sale

Sounds like fast and the furious Rms car selling lol. Phoning boydie and ChrisL for back up. Class.

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)

Those boys were dodgy ... god love your neighbors I was broadside into your street as I thought they were making you act out 50 shades of grey against your will lol

m5lvyn

RMS Regular
Drives
GT4
Apologies this is long...

Sold an M3 via a forum a few years ago, advert was up only a few hours and a fella from england rang late on saturday night. Had been after one for ages and wanted it, short phone call later he had agreed to my asking price and said he was off to book the flights over to collect the next morning..

Took it with a pinch of salt and thought he was a joker. Within half hour he rang again and had booked flights and ferries for the next day, sunday and to meet him at the airport for 9am! Then we had some back and forth texts asking more details etc and what extra parts i had which led to him agreeing to buy my 2nd set of wheels and the extra new oem parts i had bought to be fitted.. had it up for 12k and managed to agree on 13.5k with everything, which he then transferred that night so it would be in my account for the morning.

Next morning i got up and quickly washed the car and headed up to the airport. Met the guy and his mate who were dead on and spend all of 2 minutes checking the car out before signing the V5 and heading off!

Dream sale indeed..

Cut to circa 6-7 months later and i notice my car for sale on auto trader. Curious i sent him a text to see how'd he got on with her. He was heading off to Thailand at the end of the month travelling and wanted it sold, at this stage I was offered it back for 11k. Not really wanting it i declined but wished him well.. Few weeks later a desperate call and if i would give him even 10k for it which i said i couldn't as i didn't have that much of the original sale left (lied) but could offer 9k with all the parts and extra wheels again if it was still in the same condition. He said he would call back.. Few hours later he agreed and i booked a flight over to england to pick it up at the weekend!

Sale again was smooth and the car was more or less the same as i sold it except he had it serviced and spend a few grand on more oem parts inside to freshen it up.
I was going to keep it a few months but decided i wanting into the newer model so stuck it back up on the forum a week later and got another seller to take it off me again for around 13k lol

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Worst
Car getting driven away from my driveway at great speed by the prospective buyer who turn out to be a professional car thief, insurance paid out as we had not abandoned the car, my wife had to jump out of the way as she nearly got run over! Had to change all the locks on the house that night too as the keys where in the car.

Easy
A narcotics dealer looking at an M3 I had for literally 60seconds, he never opened the door, he agreed a price in that time too. He said he'd be back in an hour with the cash as someone owed him. An hour later he was back with a plastic carrier bag containing £23000 in fevers and tenners.

Easiest
Charles Hurst car buyer as no one seemed to want a perfect 2 year old Focus Zetec S at trade money so I thought I'd give it away so they could sell it for a 2K profit.

To be honest I've had loads of great buyers, loads of assholes and everything in between:confounded:

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Letting a RMS member drive off into the sunset in the Soarer without the money not yet cleared into my account
After waiting ages, it eventually cleared a few hours later.

S6 guy flew over picked him up from airport, drove home, I said right you
Can take it for a drive now. Said no, it's fine, paid full asking and headed off. Definitely sold it too cheap.

Not had any bad experiences to be honest, apart from selling a set of wheels to some travelling gentlemen, literally gave them away as I didn't fancy ending up in the van! Plus didn't have a fecking clue what they were saying. Dags and perrywinkle blue were mentioned I'm sure of it.

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
The last one I sold was the easiest ever,
Someone had an add on a Facebook page looking for one,I sent him a message with the price,came to view it on the Friday and offered £200 less than asking price,I said no that's the price so he said he ring me in the morning(thought I'd never hear from him again) rang the next morning to say he be there in an hour to collect it

The worst was when I was selling a berlingo,some dirty looking Cnut from ballymoney came to view it,it was just before xmas and he offered £500 less and then proceeded to tell me that it was a good offer because "your likley just selling it because you need money to buy kids things for xmas,or to pay the mortgage" cheeky ******* !
He was told to get out of my drive before I knocked out the 3 teeth he had left

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Best one was when I was selling my old KTM supermoto road bike. Quite a desirable model so had calls and texts from all over the UK about it which as per went nowhere. Answered the phone one night to a child's voice asking where I was. Thinking it was a young fella with wishful/hopeful thinking or a prank, I humoured him and said Waringstown. He replied I'm coming up now. Thought nothing more until an hour later got phonecall from same child's voice saying he was in Waringstown looking directions to my house. Long story short, the 10 year old was a translator for his Latvian dad who couldn't speak a word of English, so dealt and haggled though the young fella and they took the bike away that same night. Treat everyone on the other end of the phone as a potential buyer is the moral here!

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
Had one years ago, came looked at the car agreed price to be collected next day, next day i'm counting the cash and as I get to 12 grand he says it's a bit short it's all I could get , 1500 short is more than a bit, handed it back and said all the best.

Have had that before too!

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Best one was when I was selling my old KTM supermoto road bike. Quite a desirable model so had calls and texts from all over the UK about it which as per went nowhere. Answered the phone one night to a child's voice asking where I was. Thinking it was a young fella with wishful/hopeful thinking or a prank, I humoured him and said Waringstown. He replied I'm coming up now. Thought nothing more until an hour later got phonecall from same child's voice saying he was in Waringstown looking directions to my house. Long story short, the 10 year old was a translator for his Latvian dad who couldn't speak a word of English, so dealt and haggled though the young fella and they took the bike away that same night. Treat everyone on the other end of the phone as a potential buyer is the moral here!
Bloody immigrants coming here and buying our stuff.

ciarandeery1

RMS Regular
Drives
205 gti
4 boys landing from lurgan at 11.30 on a Friday night to test drive a sierra. Booted the tyres off it. Went a test run with one of them and realised he was pissed or winged, possibly both. Ended up in fisty cuffs in our street, lucky a few friends landed just as it was kicking off. Sent on their merry way with the tail between the legs lol

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Bloody immigrants coming here and buying our stuff.
Lol he actually exported the bike back to Latvia to sell on there. Know a few biker mates who have had bikes bought off them to be exported to eastern Europe. Must be hard to get or something over there.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.