Winter Tyres.

Ace_vaux

RMS Regular
Drives
Mustang
Where is the best place to get prices for winter tyres? Thinking of putting some on the fronts of my wife’s focus and my fiesta.

Antrim Ballymena glengormley direction

Sizes are 235 40 18 and 205 40 17

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Having grip and traction up front and the rear sliding about behind with no grip is a recipe for disaster no matter who is driving.

Not saving any money either so completely pointless too, as well as dangerous.

Deleted member 13907

D
Stuck some Goodyear Ultragrip tyres on at the weekend. Was previously on Michelin Pilot Sports. Difference in grip (in the cold and wet) is unbelievable. I was always spinning the wheels pulling out of our development the past few weeks, but just instant grip this morning. To be fair, yhe Michelins were well worn, but since the temperature dropped I just felt they weren’t quite gripping as they should.

Phil_D

RMS Regular
Got mine on today, truly remarkable difference in grip levels even on a mild but very wet day...I have never run winter tyres before and I am completely amazed by the difference.

E31B1499-84E4-49F8-A317-FB714EC151CD.jpeg

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
@RubberLover, your inbox is full mate.
Could you PM me price for Maxxis AP2s
Are you based in Carrick ? Need a full set next week.
Cheers !
Edit: 225×45×17s

Last edited:

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
aren't these winter tyres getting wrecked when its too warm? I thought they would be super soft compound?

My rainsports were like chewing gum in the hot summer and are now wrecked

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
They wouldn't be ideal in summer heat for sure.

Our winter temps here should be no problem though.

Phil_D

RMS Regular
aren't these winter tyres getting wrecked when its too warm? I thought they would be super soft compound?

My rainsports were like chewing gum in the hot summer and are now wrecked

Generally accepted is when its gets to circa +7 degrees its time to change to winters..I will change back onto summers when it warms up again.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
I have been running the Hankooks for the last 5 years and they are great. I am at the bottom of a hill in a cul-de-sac and before fitting them could not get up the hill in the snow; now it is no problem so long as it is not sheet ice. I also think they have good grip and feel on wet/cold roads and have noticed no deterioration in the tyre when the temperature occasionally goes into double figures over the winter. 205 40 18

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Have had Michelin Alpin on my old Passat since about January last year / about 15k miles.

Fantastic in winter conditions, but their best feature is wear. Bought them second hand with about 7mm alround. Only down to 4-5mm on the fronts, and they're not exactly doing steady motorway miles. Still a decent tyre through summer too. HIghly recommended.

RevT

RMS Regular
Anyone tried those Riken branded tyres for winter? Seem to be produced by Michelin.