Mk4 Golf Tdi Anniversary (aka triggers broom)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lee

RMS Regular
Lovely! Looks like she has tested you. But fair play for sticking by it, you know what you have thats for sure.

I'm a fellow black 3dr MK4 GTTDI driver, albeit not an Anniversary model!

r16vka

RMS Regular
OP
r16vka
Drives
Audi 80 V6
Yoke kept on trucking
IMG_5321.JPG

Someone on the Anni owners Facebook page did a batch of US Spec stickers for the cup holder. The US anniversary didnt have the plaque on the side of the dash
IMG_5329.JPG

The mk4 is notorious for sloppy handling. the anniversary has better suspension from standard (15mm lower) but still not a patch on the mk5. Best mod for a mk4 is the rear anti roll bar, so i bought a whiteline rear arb, some new sachs rear shocks and top mounts fitted them all
IMG_5502.JPG

IMG_5504.JPG

totally transformed the way it went round corners

Then in August 14 we bought a house
IMG_5529.JPG

Repossession in need of a full overhaul. It got new kitchen, bathrooms doors skirting windows front door etc. As all homeowners know, it's a fair drain on the wallet! :weary_face:

As always the golf was there for all my load lugging needs :joy:
From used garden bricks
IMG_5608.JPG

To the new front door and frame
IMG_5636.JPG

Dailys gonna daily

One downside of the new house is the main power line from Bangor to ards runs over the house. I've a giant post in my driveway that nie pay me £7.32 a year for. Downside of this is the birds gather on it and love nothing more than pebbledashing the cars with shat
IMG_5735.JPG

Said pole and birds in reflection. My morning routine now involves hosing the morning poo off both cars before I leave for work.

ItsAdamC

RMS Regular
Drives
Baguettes
Lovely car mate, I loved my mk4 golf and boras, think i'll have to get another one in the new year. Fair play to you for not giving up on it! I've no patience and it would've ended up in clearways by now :joy:

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Love threads with lots of pics and info!
Nice work.

Any idea what exactly happened to the 9k miles engine?

r16vka

RMS Regular
OP
r16vka
Drives
Audi 80 V6
Oh no it definitely did .

First engine injector number 3 stuck open and it bent a rod.

Then the 9k engine had that chunk out of the block at the head gasket. Can't remember now if we ever worked out what had caused it. I was just thankful the pistons and valves survived!

colin84

RMS Regular
Geez that's some serious bad luck with the engines. I never had any issues at all with the Bora's/Passat's I had years ago.

r16vka

RMS Regular
OP
r16vka
Drives
Audi 80 V6
Right where were we with the archives...

Had it temporarily slammed...
IMG_5942.JPG

on my way back from picking up the tiles for the house :joy:
IMG_5941.JPG

Clicked over 140k in Dec 14
IMG_6268.JPG

Had a few goes at an mot
IMG_6313.JPG

Cant even remember what it was failing on, stupid stuff like tie rods or ball joints. Might have been some tyres on the limit too

IMG_6446.JPG

Its going to be around this time (mid 2015) that i struck a deal with Pete @ Paintworkz in exchange for my non runing fd3s RX7
IMG_2973.JPG

That he would do a full respray on the golf. Paintwork was tired, front arches were crumbling away with rust, the usual mk4 rust spots were starting to come through (bottom of the rear quarters, up along the drain channels above the rear quarter glass, tailgate handle etc). So while we waited to sort out a date that suited him to take it on, i stopped applying any polishes or waxes in a bid to reduce the risk of contaminants effecting the new paint. I had got engaged in Nov 14, and was set to get married in March 2016, so was aiming to get the car resprayed to take me to the ceremony. Safe to say that never happened :-#

I'd managed to get just shy of 30k miles out of the paddle clutch
IMG_6675.JPG

Took it to Clarke Bros and had it replated. Needed a new flywheel and clutch as the meat of the 6 paddle had eaten them. Didnt think that was too bad considering the abuse it took on a daily basis :p

My cheap ebay badges started falling apart :joy:
IMG_6982.JPG

Did some day trips - Portstewart Strand
IMG_7183.JPG

IMG_7187.JPG

purplea4T

RMS Regular
This is a cracking thread, they are starting to show their age now - I know your thread is retrospective but I’m finding problems like you’ve had - mine hadn’t been on the road since 2012 until 2 weeks ago!

r16vka

RMS Regular
OP
r16vka
Drives
Audi 80 V6
How the hell did you munch a clutch in 30k you rash ******* :joy:

It's essentially a racing clutch plate designed for track toys, not me driving in stop start traffic

Since then I've changed to a sachs performance clutch with single mass flywheel which considering the cost would need to last a lot longer than 30k

r16vka

RMS Regular
OP
r16vka
Drives
Audi 80 V6
Wheres the rx7 now????
AFAIK it went to Brian Wilton to get it running, he couldn't get it to run right so gave pete a low ball price on it.

This was all before the price of them skyrocketed. I try not to look at how much they go for now as it sickens me that I could have pumped a bit of money into that one and got it running then retired early by selling it

r16vka

RMS Regular
OP
r16vka
Drives
Audi 80 V6
Hit 150k in Sept 2015
IMG_7312.JPG

With so much work going on at the house and wedding prep, poor golf was getting neglected
20151231_134740.jpg

You can see the state of the front arches here, along with the sad looking alloys
20151231_134747.jpg

It would have been around this time i got the Cupra R subframe, cast arms and hubs fitted. My other half had bought me them second hand for xmas. Cant seem to find any pictures of them, you'll just have to trust me that theyre there :joy:

This is a must for any lowered mk4, the lighter wishbones combined with the better geometry for a lowered centre of gravity make the front end feel less like a bus and more like a modern car :laughing: Had new bearings fitted while they were going in as the ones it came with were knackered.

March 2016 got married. Thankfully my wife to be had pre-empted that the golf wouldnt be resprayed in time for the big day, so booked me a camper van instead :heart_eyes:
200.jpg

After the wedding we went on a mini moon to kilarney. Golf was fine all the way down, got on some great coastal driving roads
20160317_121810.jpg

20160317_125228.jpg

20160317_153422.jpg

On the way home i tried for a top speed run on that private bit of road just after the toll booths on the way back from dublin :innocent: it was going grand, till about 135 it went into limp mode and wouldnt boost all the way home :mad:

Turned out it was the vanes on the turbo had stuck. An hour had the turbo out, then it got disassembeld and given a good clean out, and put back in the car. That had it boosting a lot better. Cant seem to find any pics of the turbo out ^o)

Hit 160k in May 2016
20160522_170418.jpg

Attachments

• 20151231_134801.jpg
    20151231_134801.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 80

r16vka

RMS Regular
OP
r16vka
Drives
Audi 80 V6
Found these that i'd taken for some random facebook post about ocd with vents
20160917_175426.jpg

20160917_175325.jpg

20160917_175333.jpg

The illuminated bora vents were fitted way back when i'd first got the car, along with the chinese auto lights. I really dont know why the golfs ever came with the standard vents and not the bora ones from the factory, so much better to use and look at!

So where were we? Autumn 2016. Discovered that the wife was pregnant with our first child, convinced her that her beetle had to go and mine should stay, so we bought a 5 dr mk5 gti
20161128_203453.jpg

5 doors and isofix. and a boot big enough for a pram. No need for a quashqui :laughing:

Various deadlines for getting the car painted came and went, Dubshed, castlewellan & several titanic dubs. Pete was very busy and didnt have the space for a lifer to live at his unit, so it kept getting pushed back. All the while i was loosing heart in it, embarrased by the rust and general state of the paint. Not being able to polish/wax a car was doing my head in.
20170108_122912.jpg

Still kept on doing its daily duties
20161223_121054.jpg

Like distributing xmas drink to politicians at City Hall :laughing:

Topped my personal best :cool:
20170209_213938.jpg

You'll notice the traction control light is due to another boost issue :tired_face: a recurring theme...

purplea4T

RMS Regular
I must stop reading this thread, I’ve been finding myself looking in the classifieds for mk4’s hoping someone will swap for my Vectra lol
Brian, I know of an Oceanic Green 1.8t that *might* be for sale soon. Needs a bit of work but has had a recent steering rack and other bits and pieces threw at it. If it’s for sale, it’ll be cheap.

r16vka

RMS Regular
OP
r16vka
Drives
Audi 80 V6
Hit 170k in Feb 2017
20170221_184640.jpg

Failed mot on corroded brake pipes and a couple of other things
20170228_081635.jpg

Which was fine as i had a replcement rear hub to go on it. Before i bought the car, it must have taken a knock to the passenger side rear as the back wheel always rubbed on an odd part of the arch suggesting the rear axle was bent. And sure enough when i measured it compared to the axle oin the wifes old beetle there was a difference. So a straighter axle was found, new bushes, brake pipes, braided hoses (id changed the fronts back in 2013, and had the rears sitting in the garage waiting to be fitted) new brake carriers and backing plates too. Painted it with a lick of hammerite and got it back in. Job jobbed. (y)
20170308_223451.jpg

For some reason when i got the car the back brakes were drilled and grooved, but the fronts werent? so it was nice to finally get new standard pagid discs fitted, as im not a fan of drilled.

20170318_152352.jpg

IMG_20170325_181650.jpg

170,000 miles meant that it was 60k since i'd done the rebuild so a timing belt was due. As with most of my car mechanicing it was done in my driveway :joy:
20170408_182727.jpg

Nothing quite like the squeeky bum of jacking a car up on gravel to make you feel alive :laughing:

11th April 2017 Betsy arrived at a very healthy 9lb 10oz
20170413_151248.jpg

Funnily enough my phone pictures dont feature a lot of car pics after that, mostly just babies :laughing:

Did manage to take her to castlewellan. The tshirt could probably have done with being a bigger size :joy:
20170624_171612.jpg

You can see in that picture the tear on the drivers seat that was adding to the lack of love for the car at this stage. Still no sign of it getting painted :rolleyes:

Found out one of the reasons for no boost was a leak where the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler had been rubbing on the driveshaft. so it got replaced
IMG_20161112_103806.jpg

Times i convince myself id be better off with a normal car that doesnt run high boost. Bu then i catch myself on :yum

r16vka

RMS Regular
OP
r16vka
Drives
Audi 80 V6
Managed to get the two digit plate off my 94 audi 80 shell thats been off the road since 2009
20170721_141519.jpg

20170721_141602.jpg

Car was going grand, untill one afternoon in mallusk when i was racing a boxster away from a set of lights. I had him, until there was a large pop followed by a wooshing noise and an array of clangs! The boost pipe that goes into the intercooler had popped off, and managed to hit the ground and end up under the front wheel. Safe to say it was f#cked. Had to get a lift back home then return that night with tools and a jack. managed to botch it enough to get me home. then chased down a replacement from allard
IMG_20170825_194802.jpg

IMG_20170825_194821.jpg

Made sure to fit the new brackets to hold the pipes to the car, rather than relying on the clasp to the intercooler to support it.
As with my never ending quest for working boost, this fixed that boost leak but there was still air escaping from elsewhere.

Roll forward to Halloween 2017 and the planets have aligned and Paintworkz can finally take my car for its respray!!!
giphy.gif

One of the reasons it had taken so long was trying to sort out a car for me to drive while mine would be off the road. But fortunately i hadnt bothered my arse selling her old beetle :-# so i transferred the insurance over and started driving it..
IMG_20170921_181954.jpg

The pink flowers really brought out my eyes :laughing:

No surprise that since it wasnt a paying job (since i'd pre paid with a rx7) that it didnt take priority around the workshop, so it took a while to progress :tired_face: But the pictures trickled through
IMG_20171103_175958.jpg

IMG_20171103_180007.jpg

IMG_20171103_180310.jpg

We sourced a us rear bumper, japanese front rub strip (smaller number plate recess) new front wings.

Pressure was on to get it all painted and back on the road for dubshed 2018 :monkey:

Dan.86

RMS Regular
I absolutely love threads like this. What a car! I’ve seen it parked on Ormeau road a couple of times.

Reactions: dub
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.