Whats going on with MOT Availability at the moment?

design1

RMS Regular
was told today a year is as much as you get. after that the car needs motd once extension is up

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Seems my car has been a rare case, mot was booked for 14th March 2020, which was canceled and extended till september, then extended till February, and was extended before Christmas till August 2021, 17months extention, though its been sorned most of 2020, be lucky if its done 2k miles last year.

Reactions: Ben

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
It's looking to be true for the wifes car, its a year in February & no further extensions since December 2020, been showing Feb 7th

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
I got the Forester booked in for Monday at Ards. Easy enough, seemed to be plenty of spots to choose from.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Seems my car has been a rare case, mot was booked for 14th March 2020, which was canceled and extended till september, then extended till February, and was extended before Christmas till August 2021, 17months extention, though its been sorned most of 2020, be lucky if its done 2k miles last year.
Have been told that it would be illegal to drive it if it hasn't been tested within previous 2years. Mine is a similar case, had a test booked for March that was cancelled due to the lifts (was still tested until April) and has been extended a few times now due in April.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Have been told that it would be illegal to drive it if it hasn't been tested within previous 2years. Mine is a similar case, had a test booked for March that was cancelled due to the lifts (was still tested until April) and has been extended a few times now due in April.
Surely that's a fault at their end rather than mine, they extended it well in advance Novemberish it changed from Feb 2021 to August 2021, not last minute if it haddnt got extended I'd have booked a test once the car was returning to the road after hibernation, the way things are looking it could well be staying in hibernation this year so might not be an issue anyway 😂

Though is there anyway to check at the roadside for example when you actually last had an mot, surely the systems would tell the officer just mot expires **** date? Unless they as for the test "certificate" or made various phone calls the the dva?

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
Surely that's a fault at their end rather than mine, they extended it well in advance Novemberish it changed from Feb 2021 to August 2021, not last minute if it haddnt got extended I'd have booked a test once the car was returning to the road after hibernation, the way things are looking it could well be staying in hibernation this year so might not be an issue anyway 😂

Though is there anyway to check at the roadside for example when you actually last had an mot, surely the systems would tell the officer just mot expires **** date? Unless they as for the test "certificate" or made various phone calls the the dva?
If it is illegal to drive a car that hasn’t been motd in two years (which I honestly couldn’t tell you if it is or not), an insurance company would use this as a get out clause even though it was extended by the DVLA.

design1

RMS Regular
Who told you that please?
guy in mot booking centre..and it says on website also once years up thats it.and guy head of mots driving tests etc was on the radio other morning explaining all .and thats what he was saying that 4 year old cars being tested and ones that the years up are now being tested..

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
guy in mot booking centre..and it says on website also once years up thats it.and guy head of mots driving tests etc was on the radio other morning explaining all .and thats what he was saying that 4 year old cars being tested and ones that the years up are now being tested..
If cars get extended over the year it’s not the drivers/owners fault
It’s a fault of the system/people doing exemptions
only place you can drive a car without mot is to a mot centre

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
If that is actually the case, what an utter farce. Why extend beyond their time limit if it counts for feck all.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Wife got an mot reminder the other day, never got an extention on it, will be it's first MOT

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Anyone know if a smashed tail light is a fail? Mate has an Astra and the glass has a bit missing. Replacing the light will double the cars value though.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Wifes car didnt get another extension after the 12 months in the end, let it run until yesterday, due 7th but no joy.

Now cant get an appointment until March.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
Booked mine yesterday afternoon and had the test last night.

The standing outside in the rain was mildly annoying.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
With the comments about my over 12months extention, I've been half expecting to check some of these days and it's cut back to this month...... With that checked it there 5mins ago..... Previously it was 1st August 2021..... Mot now due 1st February...... 2022! So it's been extended once again...

MarkyMck

RMS Regular
Drives
F56&R53 JCW
I sold a car last week and got an MOT the same day, I had to drive from Portadown to Lisburn though FFS! :rolleyes:

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Bike was to expire christmas day, now 25th June

Car was showing July a couple weeks back, now Jan 2022

Other car due in April but I suspect it'll be extended too

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
That’s mine sorted.

Painless process and actually easier as they do everything :grinning:

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Just checked mine and it was extended to the end of August, and has been extended again until the end of Febuary next year

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
X3 is still showing as 16th March :worried:.
My Integra was showing as 18th January up until a few days before. That being said, I don't drive it on salted roads if I can help it so I had the luxury of chancing it. It's now due an MOT in July which is 2 years since it last saw an MOT centre.