Whats going on with MOT Availability at the moment?

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
The focus was extended last feb for 6 months due to the ramp debacle, then again for another 6 months in August due to covid, and is now due on 4th Feb. Test booked this sunday in Ards....
My wife's A5 was due in August, but extended, and is now due at end Feb. And I've a test booked. Wonder if it will be extended again to get a full year.

Cooks

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
I was under the impression everyone with a qualifying car was getting a full year extension. It’s probably the only way they can get everyone back in sync.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Mine was due Aug, extended to Feb and checking online it has been extended to Aug again.

Vw86

RMS Regular
Mine was originally due 1st August 2020. Got extended to 1st Feb so I had a test booked for next week. Just got an email from them there to say its been extended again to August. Seems everyone is getting a full 12 months extension to keep in sync.

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
Whats the craic with having the car fully washed for mot?

I cleaned mine yesterday before work, wife then decided to go somewhere so wheels and lower panels are dirty and I'm not going to get time to give it a good wash before tmrw morning

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Whats the craic with having the car fully washed for mot?

I cleaned mine yesterday before work, wife then decided to go somewhere so wheels and lower panels are dirty and I'm not going to get time to give it a good wash before tmrw morning

As long as the underneath and around the inner arches isn't caked in crud it will be grand. Clean lights and number plates too.

Shaun

RMS Regular
Was anyone effected by the ramp cancellations last year?? I was up about this time last year for test and it was cancelled over it. Got half my money refunded and they said we would get a free test.
Havnt heard any more about it and its out of mot next friday lol

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Still no update on the wife’s. Due on 7th February, been checking since December & it hasn’t changed

That would be a full year of extension now though..

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
Still no update on the wife’s. Due on 7th February, been checking since December & it hasn’t changed

That would be a full year of extension now though..
Mine was due 12th feb, booked it on Thursday and it passed today.
I
I'm sure it's not like that at all and would pass a MOT no problem. Its just having had a look at a few cars recently advertised with MOT extensions to X date I saw it as a negative rather than a positive.
i bought a car in December motd to start of February and it passed today with only giving it a wash. Would you not get a bit of idea by taking it test drive.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
mUm finally got talking to someone who did not sound blocked and she has been told it has to be mot so booked for later this month

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Checked today and by mot has been extended again until April, which is when it was usually due so that's a full year.
Mum's car was was meant to be up in March, but extended again to September within past couple of days.

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
How do they decide what needs to be MOT'd and what doesn't? Just checked the wifes car there again and the gov.uk site has now extended it to July

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
How do they decide what needs to be MOT'd and what doesn't? Just checked the wifes car there again and the gov.uk site has now extended it to July
It seems to be if you have received a 12 month extension then when that expires you have to MOT the car. Thats what mum was told anyway, she has it booked for Ards on Saturday morning, wee car has done 2.5k miles in a year :laughing: lol

In my case I took mine down for mot last February, despite all mot being cancelled, it was still tested. Mine was extended until August before Christmas

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Most stuff seems to be getting a year's extension, although not at once.
Anything that has an English MOT doesn;t seem to be getting extended.

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
My focus was due to be MOTd last February, but because of the lift problem, I got a 3 month extension, then another 3 months, then 6 months, totalling a full year. I motd the car on sunday past, and it passed, thankfully.

My 3 series was MOTd last February, and I've noticed that it has been extended until August, so I've a 6 month extension.

I've spoken to a couple of mates, and their cars are something similar.

This fits with the notion that you get a maximum of 12 months of an extension, after which the car has to be MOTd. .

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Rs6 which has been sorn since February last year got an extension to July also 🤣 tbf once it's back on the road there will be zero possible reasons for it to fail a roadworthiness test