Whats going on with MOT Availability at the moment?

ShaunB

RMS Regular
How are they doing MOT's at the minute with regards to sanitising, do they drive the car themselves after the initial checks that they do?

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
You get out of the car outside, then someone not wearing a mask gets into it and takes it through the whole process and drives it back round to you. In my case, I took some wipes with me and cleaned all the touch points while leaving the doors open before driving off with the windows down until there was enough air changes to take off my mask and close the windows.
Might sound ott, but I really don't want a dose of this thing.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Pretty sure they fitted a seat cover to mine as well. Which I thought was a bit strange. Then left it in the car for me to clean up.

Shaun

RMS Regular
Anyone hear anything about the free tests for any that were cancelled last year due to the faulty lifts??

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
Anyone hear anything about the free tests for any that were cancelled last year due to the faulty lifts??

There was never free tests. It was a half price test.

I got a cheque for half the test fee a few months ago so basically got my test refund & the half refund back too

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
All 3 cars of mine have been extended to October 2021 🤷‍♂️
Did I read correctly that they can be called at any time for a test between now and then?
They fitted a seat cover to the car in front of me but not to my car which was a bit odd.

Take it as a compliment, the other driver and/ or car must have been boggin'!

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
My checked my wife's Alfa and it's now extended to 19 November. It was originally due in July 2020. So 16 months extended now. Thought a year was the limit!

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Checked mine there and I’ve got a further 6 month extension was originally due December 2020 got extended to June now it due December 2021.
6E7BEFBC-66DA-4419-89D0-ECF8C78FAA69.png

karl7900

RMS Regular
Drives
Touareg 3.2 V6
My car was due MOT last August but was extended to February 21. Just checked this morning and it has been extended again till August 21. I have it booked in to my mechanics for Wednesday for a service and MOT prep intending to book a test. His advice was to still book it in for a test, even if extended. I might do this anyway as thinking of selling it soon so would give some peace of mind to me selling and a prospective buyer too.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Just found out that my bm is now extended to September so that will be the 2nd extension to make it a full year. The wife's motor is up in February but had 2 extensions due to the ramps calving and then c19

leek9

RMS Regular
Drives
GTR FD2R SiR
Had my MOT booked for next week (ran out 15 Jan) and got a 6 month exemption there yesterday.

This was for the Cookstown center.

Smorgol

RMS Member
My TVR ran out of extensions so there is a limit to how far down the track from the last MOT they are prepared to go (think it was no more than 2 years from last MoT). It was no probs getting a date or changing it as it took me a while to get it out of storage and then tidied up for MOT. MoT itself was easy enough as per process mentioned above.

Last edited:

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
The passat had already been extended until April 2021 but I checked this morning and it now has another extension until October 2021....result!

ShaunB

RMS Regular
The passat had already been extended until April 2021 but I checked this morning and it now has another extension until October 2021....result!
Whats the deal with MOT's then. My daughters car has been extended by 6 months twice now, most recent extension lasts until towards end of February.
The first extension was triggered because she made a booking, which they cancelled because of the lifts, but the second extension just happened, pretty sure she didn't make any booking.

Would that be correct?

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Whats the deal with MOT's then. My daughters car has been extended by 6 months twice now, most recent extension lasts until towards end of February.
The first extension was triggered because she made a booking, which they cancelled because of the lifts, but the second extension just happened, pretty sure she didn't make any booking.

Would that be correct?
I'm not really sure to be honest. Think the first round of extensions were due to the ramp issues, then covid. It's a weird one though as our 3 year old mini which turns 4 in May will have to have an MOT then with no extension. Its a mainland GB car so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

I haven't made any MOT bookings for the passat and still automatically got the extension.

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
My S14 got an extension 6 months ago, which runs out in Feb. Messaged them today to find out if the car would get another extension or would need an MOT (I had to email them the first time to get the initial extension) and was told that I would require an MOT now.

Passat is due to run out in March, so will be interesting to see if it gets an exemption or not.

PDK

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E92 & E46
I was up in mallusk last night getting a first MOT for my wife’s cars.
Stood outside frozen 🥶

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
The wife's shogun went through today and I done the forester last week but the forester had been off the road for over 19 months and her car was last mot'd in Feb 19 as it got a 6 month extension due to the lift hassle then a further one due to c19. My bm was due in Sept but got a 6 month extension to march but I see it's now saying September again for retest

Rooneyrocket

RMS Regular
Drives
CRV
With all the crashes on the roads recently, the government would need to start thinking about reintroducing mandatory mots again.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Had mine booked for February 14th and got an email today to say it’s been extended until 14th April. Have to cancel the appointment now to get a refund. Saves me having to wash it 😜

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
With all the crashes on the roads recently, the government would need to start thinking about reintroducing mandatory mots again.

Do you think blind incompetent morons crashing are the fault of the cars having no MOT ?

I think not.....almost always, every crash is the fool behind the wheels. Or the fool behind the wheel of the other vehicle.

Almost never will it be because a car has no MOT....which in reality has no baring anyway whether a car is roadworthy or not.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Do you think blind incompetent morons crashing are the fault of the cars having no MOT ?

I think not.....almost always, every crash is the fool behind the wheels. Or the fool behind the wheel of the other vehicle.

Almost never will it be because a car has no MOT....which in reality has no baring anyway whether a car is roadworthy or not.
It’s roughly 5% of the time that it’s a fault of the car. Well it was between 2000 and 2010 back when I did a study on it for Uni.