RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

alan_c

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf
Can do, but I think it's coming in along the boards so dunno if it'll help. Cheers for the suggestion!

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
The guy who built my shed doesn’t use treated timber as he said it’s more prone to warping. Don’t know if that true or not but it’s what he said. Given it was built in a warm garage and the sent out into the cold, I’d say the boards have shrunk away from joins allowing water to get in. What does the man who built it say?

MarkM

RMS Regular
The guy who built my shed doesn’t use treated timber as he said it’s more prone to warping. Don’t know if that true or not but it’s what he said. Given it was built in a warm garage and the sent out into the cold, I’d say the boards have shrunk away from joins allowing water to get in. What does the man who built it say?

My old timber garage actually did the opposite, it would be well sealed in winter but come summer the boards would dry out and shrink and there would be gaps everywhere, drove me mad, then the next winter it would close up again lol

alan_c

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf
Thanks @swansty, might explain that then. I was sold on the fact that using treated timber would guarantee it's longevity lol

Rang him up and he said I've built loads of sheds and they've never leaked. Also said it was probably the paint (Cuprinol ducksback) as its water based and I should have got him an oil based paint as water runs off it better. He never mentioned this at the time and was happy to use it though lol. Generally feel fobbed off by him
My old timber garage actually did the opposite, it would be well sealed in winter but come summer the boards would dry out and shrink and there would be gaps everywhere, drove me mad, then the next winter it would close up again lol
I'd nearly settle for that at the minute Mark 😁

MarkM

RMS Regular
Thanks @swansty, might explain that then. I was sold on the fact that using treated timber would guarantee it's longevity lol

Rang him up and he said I've built loads of sheds and they've never leaked. Also said it was probably the paint (Cuprinol ducksback) as its water based and I should have got him an oil based paint as water runs off it better. He never mentioned this at the time and was happy to use it though lol. Generally feel fobbed off by him
I'd nearly settle for that at the minute Mark 😁

I don’t like Ducksback fwiw, found Ronseal stuff lasted longer

Q.S Gav

RMS Regular
Paint water seal on the outside. It’ll make the water run off.

variant

RMS Regular
Drives
T5, Up Gti
Things have got outlet of hands and after a bit of Google learning I've now countersunk and plugged all the screw head holes on the surface ready to sand it all down and seal it up with polyurethane varnish on Monday or Tuesday.
IMG-20210220-WA0001.jpeg
IMG-20210220-WA0008.jpeg
IMG-20210220-WA0003.jpeg

alan_c

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf
So curiosity got the better of me and the vino got me thinking. Ran the straight edge ruler along the dry and wet parts and they're definitely not even. Take it this means they're warped and probably that's the issue?

Attachments

• 20210220_222419.jpg
    20210220_222419.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 20210220_222431.jpg
    20210220_222431.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 89

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
TBH, the thinner the boards, the easier they warp, especially at the tongue where it's thinner anyway.
I bought a 10 x 12 shed years ago and it was bloody useless for letting in wind and rain. Finally took it down and cut it up during lockdown 1.0 last year.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Paint water seal on the outside. It’ll make the water run off.

There's nothing like old creosote. Soaked my decking in it last year and the water doesn't get near it. No green stuff growing either 20200813_211506.jpg

Attachments

• 20200813_211546.jpg
    20200813_211546.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 20200813_211602.jpg
    20200813_211602.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

RoniN

RMS Regular
There's nothing like old creosote. Soaked my decking in it last year and the water doesn't get near it. No green stuff growing either

Where did you get the old creosote, I need some and can't get it anywhere now ??

Cheers

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
There's nothing like old creosote. Soaked my decking in it last year and the water doesn't get near it. No green stuff growing eitherView attachment 313099
Is it not slippy as when wet? That's what I treated myself shed with. Put it on thick. Although it's not as good as 20/30 years ago you can get decent stuff in some farm supplies or builders merchants. I got my 20l drum from Blain bros in Saintfield

Deleted member 13907

D
Can oil based shed/fence paints be applied over water based paints (they were applied a year or more ago)? Just a case of sanding down first?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Where did you get the old creosote, I need some and can't get it anywhere now ??

Cheers
This is the closest stuff I can find, but it's pretty shyte to be honest. After a year it just fades away.

The stuff that @Mark_C speaks of is the real deal. It must still be available in some circles because I saw a new leccy pole installed near me recently and it seemed to have the real creosote on it, or at least something very similar. Had that smell too.

Rippy

RMS Regular
Drives
Aerodeck vti
Looking some advice on lighting.

Half of my setup will be a power rack/gym setup which I want well lit up - no sky lights so no natural light available (unless roller door open).

What lighting setup has everyone went for?

Led Baton lights/panels/spots?

Any feedback appreciated

MarkM

RMS Regular
Looking some advice on lighting.

Half of my setup will be a power rack/gym setup which I want well lit up - no sky lights so no natural light available (unless roller door open).

What lighting setup has everyone went for?

Led Baton lights/panels/spots?

Any feedback appreciated

Having had Screwfix ones before, which were decent btw I went with these from Yesss this time, much better light off them, only have two of the six fitted though!

B772920B-1CDE-4926-AA02-12F1765576CE.jpeg

205A5743-67B5-499E-9314-8883A6B76090.jpeg

Last edited:

chapletown

RMS Regular
Drives
G20 M340i X
Can anyone advise on what's the best way to finish concrete block walls? I'm looking to finish the walls in my garage but not sure if I would need to get them plastered first or of there is a masonry paint or something I could paint straight on? Anyone any experience of this?
20210221_161734.jpg

ilovequo

RMS Regular
Depnding how fussy you are and how much block you want to paint it could be worth spraying...
You wont brush that and even a deep pile roller will struggle to fill all indentations with paint