Home charging point

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
My meter box is red but I'd like to park at yellow. Can the charger be extended round that far without being a) a fortune to do and b) not ugly as sh*t? It would be across a garage door and round a sunroom.

Is meter box same location as the actual consumer unit ? As that's where power should be coming from.

Underground would be awkward...another option might be take it up to the roof, then back down again ? Although obviously some visible cables likely to be involved there too.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference?

The meter box is where your NIE meter etc is.

The consumer unit is the fuse box with all the trips etc

NIE don’t like people connecting into the meter cupboard (white box on outside of house in newer houses) although loads of people do connect EV chargers etc there

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
As above, meter box is purely where the meter is. There should be nothing but the NIE's gear in that enclosure if it's a half modern house with it in one of those external boxes. If it's an older property, the two might be together inside

Or go the off road route, and maybe mount a charger on a pole or the fence or something, dump the cable round the hedge
Screenshot_20220101-110055_Maps.jpg

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Ah right OK, meter box is at red, trips are inside the garage nearer the house, but still nowhere near where I need them.

Although the power for the whole house comes underground from a pole at white?

Screenshot_20220101-110055_Maps.jpg

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Well I guess you could try and steal power from the NIE pole.....bit risky though lol

Your supply for the charger will need to come from the consumer unit. It looks like there isn't going to be a cheap/easy option for you.
Or add a new CU local to the meter box ( not in it's external enclosure if that's what you have ) if that is workable for it to then supply your existing CU and then the new charger

Lots of variables

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Anyone got a Hypervolt installed? Fancy the Ultra Black
View attachment 345873View attachment 345874

I looked at those, but I don't like the cable being visible and the socket attached seperately to the wall.

Have a look at the Andersen 2 chargers, they're not much more expensive but look a lot neater. Cable is wrapped around inside a channel so you can't see it, and the socket is stored under the lid.

I have this one ordered.

2AF84701-8035-47CD-A406-E6A187ADD43F.jpeg

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
I looked at those, but I don't like the cable being visible and the socket attached seperately to the wall.

Have a look at the Andersen 2 chargers, they're not much more expensive but look a lot neater. Cable is wrapped around inside a channel so you can't see it, and the socket is stored under the lid.

I have this one ordered.

View attachment 345876
They’re £300 dearer than the Hypervolt - you’ve more money than the Beatles ffs 😂

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
That's class. Custom colours too.

What are they charging for installation?

Works out about £1k including installation and after the grant is deducted. So I'm guessing installation is basically covered by the grant.

They’re £300 dearer than the Hypervolt - you’ve more money than the Beatles ffs 😂

I wish! I just don't want something I don't like the look of hanging at the side of the house for the next 3 years for the sake of £300.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Works out about £1k including installation and after the grant is deducted. So I'm guessing installation is basically covered by the grant.

I wish! I just don't want something I don't like the look of hanging at the side of the house for the next 3 years for the sake of £300.
Who’s installing it Graeme?
Currently awaiting permission from the War Office to spend the extra 😜

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
MSQ Electrical, he comes recommended by JKC and has fitted for a few folk I know. If you're on Insta you'll find him. :grinning:

davyk31

RMS Regular
MSQ Electrical, he comes recommended by JKC and has fitted for a few folk I know. If you're on Insta you'll find him. :grinning:

Where are MSQ from Graeme? I have tried without much success to get quotes. That Andersen one looks great but as mine will be in the garage I must tell myself that looks are not important 😜

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE

I have this one ordered.

View attachment 345876
Looks like I’m going with the same one. To be honest most chargers look like they were designed by a 5 year old. Too many jazzy lights and cable management is poor. I quite liked the untethered EO Mini Pro 2 but it needs an earth rod which would be a ballache and when you include that in the price there’s £200 difference. Although the Andersen is bigger, the design is slicker and the cable management is very good with brushes to clean the cable as you wind it up.
I’d rather pay the he extra than regret it every time I walked past it.