£40 winter restoration project

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mattyd

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk1 octavia vrs/
Nice 1 matey. U r the only nutter i know that would even think of doin up an bx. Lol. Most other people just rob there engines for 205s

Normski

RMS Regular
Drives
987 BoxsterS
Nice one! I lived across from a family for 20 years who only ever drove Citroens, they had several of these amongst other models but I used to love as a kid watching the suspension go up and down, when your 6 or 7 you think it's like a knightrider or something lol.

Good luck with the restore, look forward to more news!

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
i have a real soft spot for 80's french motors, what a bargin!

Mark_C

RMS Regular
OP
Mark_C
Power cut all day today and generator can't work the lift so didn't get the engine out today. She'll be parked up until Saturday week now as I'm off to the north of Scotland for a week.

Taz007

RMS Regular
Drives
E92
any ideas what it will cost you to restore. Great project

Mark_C

RMS Regular
OP
Mark_C
not sure on costs yet, waiting to see what condition the liners are in - that will be some hundreds

Then gasket set, stem seals and will hopefully get away with not changing valve guides.

Have my eye on a mild inlet cam as well.

As for the rest of it, I have all the spare parts as we have a few of these. And a lot of bits!

Charlieboyoo

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3 bmw M240i
not sure on costs yet, waiting to see what condition the liners are in - that will be some hundreds

Then gasket set, stem seals and will hopefully get away with not changing valve guides.

Have my eye on a mild inlet cam as well.

As for the rest of it, I have all the spare parts as we have a few of these. And a lot of bits!
Get more pics up and good luck with the restoration.Citroen BX's are nice cars and very rare now

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
awesome rare motor! only ever seen one of these for sale the past while think it was on ebay

Mark_C

RMS Regular
OP
Mark_C
Only just getting to do something to this now! Didn't get a lot done today, just started to strip down - got the new radiator in as well though.

Will be getting the head off tomorrow then the pistons out to put new rings on. Will need valve stem oil seals as well.

Then it's on with the Jenveys and the sporty inlet cam!

Engine before

d6cbefore.jpg

Inlet manifold off
d6cafter2.jpg

Injector harness off
d6cafter1.jpg

New rad installed
newrad.jpg

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
This will be sweet when done!

BX_GTI_16s_profil_T.jpg

Its a car like this I would love to see at a RMS "daily driver day" where you bring you daily driver along and everyone just has some banter.

mi16chris

RMS Regular
Drives
210hp clio 182
i think my pal still has a engine we built years ago sitting we fitted new liner and rings etc the engine on ran for 20 mins and then was removed as one of the con rods was out of round,we never got round to doing any thing with it i could find out for u if u like mate

Mark_C

RMS Regular
OP
Mark_C
Made some progress today, got the head off and was pleasantly surprised by the liner condition.

A hone should be all I need to do to them before firing on the new gapless rings.

Had a bit of bother with one of the bolts, some bellend must have had at them before with a poor fitting driver and broke a bit off it. Will be replacing them anyway

Cam cover off

b1.jpg

The ****ed head bolt on right hand side

b2.jpg

liners are better than they look here

b3.jpg

head off on the 'bench'

b35.jpg

8 into 1 exhaust manifold (Standard)

b4.jpg

RCT

RMS Regular
Those bolts at the exhaust flange are a pain in the whole and normally rotten, grounded into a point that you need to get the mole grips on them. Brake pipes look ok in the engine bay, are they alright at the wheels too, or needing replaced due to corosion? You pulling the block out, or just taking the sump off and doing the light hone/rings in situ?
Is there power steering on the car Mark? I see the ram on the rack and the pulley on the exhaust cam.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
OP
Mark_C
The pulley on the camshaft is for the hydraulic system - remember the suspension is hydropneumatic as well! Very high pressure pump drives brakes, power steering and suspension. Upshot of this is the brakes are incredibly powerful, even compared to modern cars.

I undid the nuts on the exhaust in situ, it was a total ballache alright!

I lucked out on the brake pipes - previous owner had new ones on it. Was going to pull the lot out, but after looking at them I'm going to pull the pistons out and run the honing tool down the bores just.

The pipes have all been replaced with the 'modern' citroen pipes - the plastic coated ones. They last for ages.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
OP
Mark_C
Got the barge into the garage with the lift today, got the non standard front bumper off and stuck a new door seal on the drivers side.

Bodywork won't start until after all the mechanicals are perfect.

underside of the car is completely rot free - you'd think it had been kept in a bath of oil!!

Anyway, few pics

Outside at last (You can see how well the paint is going to come up - i did a test patch on the bottom half of the drivers door, it's coming up like new, and that was the worst bit!)

bxr1.jpg

New drivers door seal on

bxr2.jpg

Dozing her into the shed (Brother driving the quad)

bxr3.jpg

in the garage at last for the fun to begin!

bxr4.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.