£40 winter restoration project

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Anto84

RMS Regular
Old Andy on the Quad!! lol,
I work with Andy, Good Lad!

bxr3.jpg

Mark_C

RMS Regular
OP
Mark_C
Correct, that's a dyane. Was totally restored a few years ago.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
My uncle had brand new one of those was in a really nice metallic blue colour. It had a much larger rear spoiler though. Is that a 924/44 sticking it bum out of the shed

Mark_C

RMS Regular
OP
Mark_C
Got an hour this evening to get a piston out to send off to get the correct sized gapless rings.

Tightening down the improvised liner clamps
bxr5.jpg

Bores are in very good visual order!!
bxr6.jpg

Piston out, connecting rod off
bxr7.jpg

Big ends in good order as well
bxr8.jpg

In the box ready to get a new set of rings
bxr9.jpg

Mark_C

RMS Regular
OP
Mark_C
My uncle had brand new one of those was in a really nice metallic blue colour. It had a much larger rear spoiler though. Is that a 924/44 sticking it bum out of the shed

Larger rear spoiler is phase 1. like the silver one there. Yes, that's a 924 - my first car! I've recently got it ready for MOT as well. Took every part off it and painted and put back together.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
OP
Mark_C
Been flat out studying for CCIE security this past week so not got much more done to it apart from some wiring work. Have also to sort a megajolt on a friend's stock car.

Piston rings and a set of XM V6 spheres (Will make suspension stiffer) arrived so I'll get the engine back together at the weekend.

Also managed to get the MR2 away to get painted.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
OP
Mark_C
Got the head back together at least this weekend

The valve collets were ridiculously tricky to get in with a normal spring compressor and small screwdriver with grease on it!

Valves in and springs mostly in
bxr14.jpg

'special' stem seal tool - 10mm socket
bxr15.jpg

fully assembled, bar buckets
bxr16.jpg

test fitting the piston rings once gapped - note the top ring is in 2 pieces, a rail on top and the ring below that forms a gapless ring.
bxr17.jpg

Putting the buckets back in
bxr18.jpg

camshafts back in
bxr19.jpg

oil spray bar back in
bxr20.jpg

Unfortunately it looks as if I will have to replace at least one liner, as the ring clearances uncut were too great, so going to have to look about that this week.

High lift inlet cam has been ordered but going to take 4 weeks to arrive, so building up with standard cam for the time being.

This week I should have the engine back together assuming I get the liner(s) I need.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
OP
Mark_C
Just ordered a full set of liners and big end bearings for a very agreeable £200 !

Using the normal GTi liners, as they're half the price. Will be grand as I'm not going for mad power - maybe only around 200hp.

56oval

RMS Regular
love threads like these, proper " get your hands dirty" stuff, keep it up (y)

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Cracking wee project , after working on my dads DS, I hope the electrics are in good order!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Great thread this and a great job so far too. Love threads like this (y)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.